PDA

View Full Version : OT Copper A/C Tube Failure

GKman
09-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Two year old central air unit developed a Freon leak. In the A coil is a manifold feeding 6 small (about 3/16 OD) copper lines which feed to the fin tubes. The one that developed a leak was submerged in the condensate water pan and it was touching a rib on this pan. The pan is some kind of plastic, perhaps fiber reinforced plastic. The part was under water was black and corroded and leaking at the point of contact. Could it be some kind of electrolysis? It's under warranty but want the replacement to last. Any ideas?

winchman
09-03-2011, 01:50 PM
The part that's submerged in the condensation pan under the evaporator coil is a super-cooler for the compressed gas.

I had one years ago that developed a similar leak. I just cut it out, and eliminated the super-cooler altogether. I didn't notice any difference in performance, so it must not have been really necessary.

I think there's a special copper alloy tubing you can order that won't corrode in that application, but you need to do that on the next unit.

Grind Hard
09-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Can you post a picture of the failed section?

bkeetch
09-03-2011, 02:25 PM
I don't think it is a failure of the copper, sounds like the copper was rubbing against the pan. The black color may be caused from something in the drain water. The a/c not only picks up water from out of the air but also chemicals
as well
I have seen beauty salons with the coils completely eaten away.(another chance to get your wife to stay away from the beauty salon)
Brian

winchman
09-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Thinking about it a little more, the tubing on my unit was riddled with tiny holes where the copper had corroded. It was sometime in the late '70s, so I hope you'll give me a pass.

GKman
09-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the interest guys. Now that all of the oil, mixing with water is drained out and I can clean off the line, it doesn't look corroded. Plastic must have had something abrasive in it. Will check routing on replacement carefully.

Liked the one about the beauty shop.

Thanx again.

2ManyHobbies
09-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Is everything 100% copper, or did it go at a copper/aluminum interface?