PDA

View Full Version : Strange V-Block Clamp

gzig5
09-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Does anyone know what the purpose of the extra horizontal screw on this v-block clamp is for?

http://www.shars.com/products/gallery/2244/303-5230Main.jpg/

Black_Moons
09-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Holder for 2 shorter spare screws to be used in the vertical hole?

Forrest Addy
09-03-2011, 03:46 PM
It's a little integral jack screw to keep the work from pulling the V-block over when you placed it on its side. That way you can drill cross-holes in one setting. Flop the V-block on its side, hold it firmly in contact with the table, adjust the jack to support it, bada bing.

I've seen a few; most were home made. One I really liked had a thumb screw that, when tightened, prevented the clamp jack from drifting. Adjustments stay put.

JCHannum
09-03-2011, 04:27 PM
It is standard equipment on the Starrett No.567 V block, scroll down the page;

http://www.starrett.com/download/329_p429_433.pdf

PixMan
09-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Yup, a copy of the No.567 that L.S. Starrett has had out for a great many years. Count me among those who didn't quickly figure out what that "captive screw" was there for. ;)

Harvey Melvin Richards
09-03-2011, 08:01 PM
I have a pair of V blocks that style, and for me, they have been mostly useless. I actually removed my jacking screws because they were always in the way. There is just too much hanging off for me to get close to the part. I have numerous V blocks of the usual mostly cubical style and they are much more useful.

KEJR
09-03-2011, 09:51 PM
This is only a slight tangent, but what is the thin "V" on the side/bottom of the vee block used for? Is it just for short work, or is it for some sort of elaborate right angle round stock? This always puzzled me looking in the catalogs.

Mcruff
09-03-2011, 10:45 PM
This is only a slight tangent, but what is the thin "V" on the side/bottom of the vee block used for? Is it just for short work, or is it for some sort of elaborate right angle round stock? This always puzzled me looking in the catalogs.

These are typically called a goose neck V block. The small V block on the side is generally used for Pin work or short work (think ejector pin, core pin, short bushings and so on) with a head or shoulder on it.

KEJR
09-04-2011, 05:56 PM
These are typically called a goose neck V block. The small V block on the side is generally used for Pin work or short work (think ejector pin, core pin, short bushings and so on) with a head or shoulder on it.

That makes sense. Thanks.

KEJR

huntinguy
09-04-2011, 09:16 PM
It's a little integral jack screw to keep the work from pulling the V-block over when you placed it on its side. That way you can drill cross-holes in one setting. Flop the V-block on its side, hold it firmly in contact with the table, adjust the jack to support it, bada bing.

I've seen a few; most were home made. One I really liked had a thumb screw that, when tightened, prevented the clamp jack from drifting. Adjustments stay put.

Darn... and all this time I thought the were ergonomic carrying handles.... Learn sompin new ever day.... :D