PDA

View Full Version : I want to buy a cold saw?

gary350
09-05-2011, 04:02 PM
I have been looking for a used cold saw for a while, I have found several excellent deals on ebay but everyone is always 500 miles or more away. Most of the used machine dealers around hear have gone out of business and none of them have a used one for sale. I checked with Northern Tool and Harbor Freight they don't sell them. I thought about building one but I have seen several for $50 to $200 on ebay I would not even try to build one if I can buy one for that price. I am still looking. Does anyone have any ideas?

Here is on for ebay price is $202 and shipping is $200. Is this a good deal. I don't know anything about this brand. I probably can't build one for this price and I don't want to anyway. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scotchman-10in-Cold-Saw-Model-CPO-10-/120771819551?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1e8fb81f

Here is one for 99 cents pick up only the video looks good. Its a 16 hour drive round trip = $500 in gasoline. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Haberle-350-Cold-Saw-/170690674162?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bdf4fdf2

Tony
09-05-2011, 04:35 PM
if you can find one cheap (and I guess thats the problem here huh?) I highly
recommend one. Its no substitute for a bandsaw (IMO) because of capacity,
speed, kerf, etc.. blades cost (me) a fortune.

but I got one and I wouldn't be without it now. I don't think I can get
as good a finish on my mill!

that video scared me a bit.. is that how fast/hard you're supposed to push
a cold saw?!

The Artful Bodger
09-05-2011, 04:41 PM

a cold saw?!

I have a quite old 10" cold saw and it is a great machine, highly recommend them! But the blades are expensive and I dont know if I can find anyone to sharpen mine, again.

Tony, he is cutting a pipe in that video and yes mine would chop through a pipe just like that. Mine has a HSS blade and I keep a good pressure on too so that the teeth are actually cutting not bouncing around on top.

Great machines and they dont take up much bench space!

ScottyM
09-05-2011, 06:13 PM
The Scotchman/Bewo in your first pic is n excellent saw. We have two of them where I work, and they cut a ton of pipe, tubing and bars. That said, the missing vise would be an absolute deal killer to me. Take a look at Scotchman's site http://scotchman.com/cold-saws/manual-and-semi-automatic/cpo275/ and you'll see that the vise grips on both sides of the material.

Scotty

macona
09-05-2011, 06:16 PM

a cold saw?!

We are looking for a new one at work. A local guy has a Doringer I am hoping to get to replace the little dake.

I can't see you complaint about speed. And cold saw will cut several times faster than a bandsaw. I don't care about kerf, and blades can be resharpened. I will walk across the building to use the cold saw before I use the bandsaw in my area.

Yes, you push bandsaws. Like a milling machine you dull the teeth if you let it rub.

v860rich
09-06-2011, 12:02 AM
The Haberle is the best of the 2 you posted. Scotsman is a great brand but this one is awfully small and no vice is a deal breaker like Scotty said.

Blades are not cheap but if you use the vices correctly you won't be breaking blades.
I'm not sure of price to sharpen but that's not a thing you do very often.

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

The Artful Bodger
09-06-2011, 02:06 AM
Those saws look very light weight compared to my 10" machine which is extremely rugged.

ScottyM
09-06-2011, 11:26 AM
I just looked up our cost to resharpen a 10" - 126 tooth blade. It was $17.00 each, that works out to about 13.5 cents per tooth. I sure wouldn't want to try to sharpen one for that, but I'm glad someone will. The last time I looked, the cost of a new blade was around $55.00 each, but it's been a while since I checked.

As to The Artful Bodger's statement about the Scotchman being light weight. Don't let it fool you. You can haul down on that handle til your red in the face. When I first started here, we had a customer that we cut thousands of pieces of 3/4" round bar for. I want to get done with it, so I pulled on that handle for all I was worth. ( According to my wife though, thats not all that much).

Scotty