PDA

View Full Version : Miniature Bearing Help !!!!!!!

JoeLee
09-07-2011, 04:42 PM
I have an old Dremel tool here that is in need of a bearing replacment.
Guess what............... you guessed it........... It's an odd size bearing.
Maybe someone knows of a source but it ain't Dremel.

Bearing specs: plain shielded radial ball bearing.

OD .625
ID or bore .281 (this is the problem 9/32" ID)
Thickness .195 + - a few thou. is OK

TNX..............

JL.........................

jungle_geo
09-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Since the inside bore seems to be the odd dimension, can you go with a bearing that has the correct outside dimension and then sleeve the inside?
A simple brass sleeve with a light press fit would be easy enough to make.

If so, here are some pricey ceramic ones that would work well at high speed
(50krpm): http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/3-8inch/kit977

Or these which are much more reasonable in price, but I don't see a speed rating: http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=bearings&Product_Code=kit812&Category_Code=3-8inch

Might we worth a try on the metallic ones and see how much they impede the Dremel from coming up to speed.

Black_Moons
09-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Mmmm Ceramic bearing dremel, Now that would be awsome.

I wonder if you reduce the bearing friction with better bearings if the motor would have a much higher no load speed? Or if most of the high speed load is air drag.

jungle_geo
09-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Mmmm Ceramic bearing dremel, Now that would be awsome.

LOL....you'd be the talk/envy of all your Dremel wielding friends...."See Joe over there? He's got ceramic bearings in his Dremel! You've got to see it!"

davidh
09-07-2011, 05:47 PM
yikes, i just called my bearing supply house, nothing like that shown. . . . hummm!

JoeLee
09-07-2011, 06:57 PM
The ID is the problem. The originals are made by NHBB, New Hampshire Ball Bearing, no part number on the bearing, just NHBB USA.
My suppliers have come up empty, my guess is they were special made for Dremel. But in this day and age I would think some one, even the slants would make a bearing in those dimensions.
Sleeving it would work OK for the comm end of the armature but on the spindle end the bearing is fitted into a die cast housing, kind of like a vacuum cleaner motor.

JL....................

Black_Moons
09-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Hmm both joelee and davidh have the exact same number of posts (881)

Why would sleeving it not work on the other end?

macona
09-07-2011, 07:53 PM
the slants

JL....................

That was highly uncalled for.

Grow up.

gld
09-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Here you go....hope link works

http://www.bocabearings.com/search.aspx?SearchType=StartDimension&radix=inch&Inner=0.2812&Outer=0.6250&Width=0.1960&InnerOperator=%3d&OuterOperator=%3d&WidthOperator=%3d

Gary

JoeLee
09-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Here you go....hope link works

http://www.bocabearings.com/search.aspx?SearchType=StartDimension&radix=inch&Inner=0.2812&Outer=0.6250&Width=0.1960&InnerOperator=%3d&OuterOperator=%3d&WidthOperator=%3d

Gary

That looks like it might do it. Thanks! I'll call them first thing in the AM.
I hope they don't have a $100 min. order, my luck usually goes that way.

JL.................

gld
09-07-2011, 08:26 PM
That looks like it might do it. Thanks! I'll call them first thing in the AM.
I hope they don't have a $100 min. order, my luck usually goes that way.

JL.................

My last order was only 4 bearings....of similar size.

Gary

uncle pete
09-07-2011, 08:34 PM
The ID is the problem. The originals are made by NHBB, New Hampshire Ball Bearing, no part number on the bearing, just NHBB USA.
My suppliers have come up empty, my guess is they were special made for Dremel. But in this day and age I would think some one, even the slants would make a bearing in those dimensions.
Sleeving it would work OK for the comm end of the armature but on the spindle end the bearing is fitted into a die cast housing, kind of like a vacuum cleaner motor.

JL....................

I'll agree about the "slants" comment. That just struck me as wrong. Not PC wrong, Just wrong.

Pete

JoeLee
09-07-2011, 08:42 PM

Grow up.

Really............ well think about, thats why there are no jobs in this country. They infringe on patents, trade marks and copyrights of all American made products. They counterfeit every thing from hand bags to power tools. Well deserved.

JL...................

uncle pete
09-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Not to take this off topic or start a flame war but business and governmental policys are the main reason most of our manufacturing has gone overseas. It's a far more complicated issue than I'd want to go into and even with the facts most peoples opinions wouldn't be changed. And I'm far too lazy to bother. Effort verses results wouldn't make it worthwhile.

Pete

Chris S.
09-07-2011, 08:54 PM
I was just in Costco about 3 hours ago. They're selling a HD Dremel in a kit full of every stone, cutter, sander, buffer gizmo imaginable. All for $29.00!
When mine goes west I'm not bothering with a repair, unless priced really jump.
Chris

Evan
09-07-2011, 08:54 PM
So everyone with an epicanthic fold is responsible for the demise of the US economy? Better think that over a bit longer.

tdmidget
09-07-2011, 10:49 PM

Grow up.

Yeah. Did you mean "slopes"?

darryl
09-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Is that better or worse than canucks and yanks-

Back to the bearing- I'd think you'd choose one with the right OD, so it fits the end bell properly, then turn up a spacer to fit the ID to the shaft

Joe Rogers
09-08-2011, 07:01 AM
I was just in Costco about 3 hours ago. They're selling a HD Dremel in a kit full of every stone, cutter, sander, buffer gizmo imaginable. All for $29.00!
When mine goes west I'm not bothering with a repair, unless priced really jump.
Chris
That tool is a generic rotary tool, not at brand name Dremel right??
Joe