PDA

View Full Version : Ebay mystery

DaveR
09-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Please take a look at the following ebay sale that just ended and tell me what I'm missing. I can find lots of these brand new for less than $10.

Dave

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260847024495?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

spongerich
09-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Please take a look at the following ebay sale that just ended and tell me what I'm missing. I can find lots of these brand new for less than $10.

Dave

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260847024495?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

According to the listing it's a rare "Starrett" General gauge.

CCWKen
09-09-2011, 10:08 PM
I'm not quite sure but the title and pictures don't match the description. Maybe the bidders emailed the seller and the description is correct. Even so, it seems pricey for dividers.

lazlo
09-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Well u**h is a shill, for one thing:

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/rtgeorge_album/shill.jpg

But I can't figure out what's going on with the auction. The two highest bidders had 500 feedback -- experienced Ebayers.

uncle pete
09-09-2011, 11:29 PM
$78.77 plus shipping for a General drill gage? I don't own or need one and I wouldn't pay a buck and a half for a guage of that type blessed by the Virgin Mary. I've got calipers. Imperial, Metric, Keebler Elf bits?, It doesn't matter. I can measure them more accurately and faster. But I sure see what you mean. There's at least two guys that had no idea what they were paying for verses new cost. As soon as I get finished stamping........... Whoops, I meant to say, I found a super rare Volkswagon/Starrett/Ford/Mitutoyo carpenters square in some ancient South American Redneck ruins and it's coming up for auction. Christies auction house should really be handling this as our research has only turned up one in the world.

PT Barnum, "A fool and his money are soon parted" Or something like that.

Pete

gwilson
09-09-2011, 11:35 PM
General is hardware quality stuff,as in sold in hardware stores. That's crazy.

Mcgyver
09-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Well u**h is a shill, for one thing:

jeez, could he be anymore obvious - doesn't ebay take a hard line on that sort of crap?

charlz
09-09-2011, 11:43 PM
I think d***n is a shill too, 61% with that seller. How about this other auction from that seller http://www.ebay.com/itm/260842062035 $73 for an old folding ruler?

KiddZimaHater
09-10-2011, 12:31 AM
Obviously his buddies are bidding up the price.
$78 and 14 bids, for a drill gage you can get anywhere for $2.99?
HA!
If anyone's interested, I have a nice, brand-new, shiny white unused mailing envelope for sale. Only $85.

BobL
09-10-2011, 01:41 AM
Please take a look at the following ebay sale that just ended and tell me what I'm missing.

I'd say you are missing your average quotient of gullibility?

lazlo
09-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by lazlo
Well u**h is a shill, for one thing:pjeez, could he be anymore obvious - doesn't ebay take a hard line on that sort of crap?

Shills are good for Ebay's business -- they get a percentage of the final sale price. Smonros (one of Reliable's famous shills) was *way* more obvious than that, but Ebay didn't do anything about it, despite many people (including myself) reporting him.

There was a huge thread on the Ebay SafeHarbor forum about Reliable having a bunch of 100% bidders including Smonros, and Ebay deleted it :mad:

There was a guy selling a Tormach here in Austin. A bunch of the Austin metalworking club guys were chatting about it in real life. It sat for most of the auction period, and suddenly there was a flurry of bids from new, 0 feedback buyers at the end :rolleyes:. Then, the high bidder retracted his bids after the auction closed. $1500 worth of bids :eek:

I reported that to Ebay, and got the standard Ebay form letter "Thank you for contacting us. Many new Ebayers get confused about how the proxy bid process works. We've investigated this auction and found no evidence of shill bidding."

Don't ask, don't tell.

vpt
09-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Ebay is junk! I quit ebay and am happier. I will search ebay much like craigslist. If I can't drive out to get the item I will not buy it. I will for sure not buy anything threw ebay either, strait transaction in person and leave ebay out.

Rustybolt
09-10-2011, 11:43 AM
This looks like money laundering.
Not too subtle one at that.

Arthur.Marks
09-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Rustybolt supplies the most plausible explanation to me.

jep24601
09-10-2011, 11:52 AM
That's what I was just thinking too!!

lazlo
09-10-2011, 12:05 PM

Agreed. A lot of folks were convinced that's what was going on with Smonros.

charlz
09-11-2011, 01:17 PM
This looks like money laundering.
Not too subtle one at that.

I had originally thought that as well but couldn't figure out how to work it... the first person has to get the money 'in the system' first. Then I realized there is just one person and you don't have to send it through paypal or whatever... just log it as income and call it good... would be caught if there was ever an investigation and no payment trail but as long as you are paying taxes I am not sure the government cares anyway ;)

JoeLee
09-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Dave, I would say your missing the stupidity to pay $78 for something like that, so am I, and I'll bet everyone else on this board it too.
General probably hasn't made one of those gages out of steel in 30 years.
I have a plastic one made by General, just have to be careful when checking screw threads with it.
Who ever bought it is probably a collector and wouldn't have a use for it anyway. Remember the Mc Master Carr catalog that sold for what was it??? a thousand bucks or more.
Nothing surprises me any more.

JL....................

JoeLee
09-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Here is a McMaster Catalog I found...... Tell me what is so special about it, because I must be missing something.

JL...................

http://www.ebay.com/itm/McMaster-Carr-Supply-Catalog-28-J-M-Crane-ASBESTOS-28-/190572531183?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5f020def

radkins
09-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Here is a McMaster Catalog I found...... Tell me what is so special about it, because I must be missing something.

JL...................

http://www.ebay.com/itm/McMaster-Carr-Supply-Catalog-28-J-M-Crane-ASBESTOS-28-/190572531183?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5f020def

Those particular editions are of great value to shyst....,,,eh, lawyers in Asbestos law suits and that's why they bring such high prices.

JoeLee
09-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Those particular editions are of great value to shyst....,,,eh, lawyers in Asbestos law suits and that's why they bring such high prices.

Thats what I kind of figured ! Any asbestos info is available any for free and more up to date than what is in that older book. Some lawyer filing a law suit over inaccurate information known at the time the catalog was in print.

JL....................

Abner
09-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Hey guys....it might be far worse than what looks like an obvious 'shill bid-up'.

E-bay is also infected with people who use algorithmic programs to "bid" on items. It's all right here in this presentation.

This is an interesting taped presentation about how computer programs are running "investments" on wall street, how netflix picks movies for you, or some 'weird' bidding on e-bay. This may be legal but it is clearly not fair in any stretch of the imagination. This will make you think twice about your retirement 'being in' the financial world...:mad:

http://www.ted.com/talks/kevin_slavin_how_algorithms_shape_our_world.html