PDA

View Full Version : shameless gloat

plastikosmd
09-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Havent had one in a while, and frankly the wife could care less, cats are even less excited, (I think-who can tell?)

Hendy 12" shaper, from others that had looked at it-was told it was the cadilac of this model. Runs very smooth, love the clutch option ( I have had a few smaller shapers and that is a nice feature) Not sure if the table is universal (not sure what that even is) Appears to have some automatic downfeed option. Cool machine. Cant wait to get it moved but have to go on a mission trip first.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/e05f094b.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/e08d3a4c.jpg

180 bucks well spent I think

aboard_epsilon
09-10-2011, 01:44 PM
First machine ever, ive seen with a built in ash tray ..

all you need now is cup holders and cigar lighter and stereo. :)

all the best.markj

plastikosmd
09-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Not just 1 but there are 2 ashtrays!

PixMan
09-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Not just 1 but there are 2 ashtrays!

True, but tipping them into the ashcan when full is a real problem.

That's an unbelievable bargain because it's probably below scrap value. You did extremely well, and deserve to gloat. That you even go the vise and a toolholder really sweetens the deal, just plug n' play.

So it that in your shop already?

Dr Stan
09-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Very nice find and a well earned gloat.

plastikosmd
09-10-2011, 03:35 PM
no, about 8 miles from home. I think I will use a rigger. I am getting older and smarter, tho not at the same rate. I have sold my drop deck trailer that allowed me to move 2 abenes and my big rivett by myself. I just need to calculate the velocity required to get it through a doorway widthwise, thinkin just under 60mph

Charles Lessig
09-10-2011, 03:42 PM
I got one of these for the shop where I worked. It looks like you
have the key to tilt the head. I had to make one. It took about 4
tries. The key looks something like a drill press key.

The vise turns 3 ways. It rotates on the table By loosening
the nuts that hold it down. The tabs don't touch the table.

Great machine!

MrSleepy
09-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Wow..its got a H pattern gearbox....

You need to fit flappy paddles to get max performance:).

I've just got an Elliot 10m...

Whys everyone getting shapers all of a sudden.

Rob

jkilroy
09-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Looks like auto downfeed as well, truly fully loaded.

uncle pete
09-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Nice, Really nice score. That's for sure under scrap value. From a jealous perspective all you guys with concrete floors SUCK!!!!!! Even if I found a deal like that, And I won't, I'd have to say no.

Pete

HWooldridge
09-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Nice, Really nice score. That's for sure under scrap value. From a jealous perspective all you guys with concrete floors SUCK!!!!!! Even if I found a deal like that, And I won't, I'd have to say no.

Pete

I feel your pain...been looking for a shaper for YEARS and there jest ain't any 'round these parts - but perfect Hendys are only $180 in cherry shape if you live in the right place...:p

uncle pete
09-10-2011, 07:09 PM
HW,
LOL,I do own a shaper, A 7" South Bend that cost me far more than the one shown here. If the OPs shaper turns out to be in fact a universal then that just makes it tougher for me to think about and much better for the new owner. I'm jealous, But it's sure nice to see somebody score a great deal.

Pete

plastikosmd
09-10-2011, 07:46 PM
It is universal and has downfeed. I guess it would be salt on the wound to show the piles of free stock included! I don't know what is 'universal' about it or how handy the down feed will be, as I never had it before. I'm in love with the clutch. So darn smooth with access on both sides of the ram. It was cool and will make setup and working easier.

Only other pic, sorry it is on side, can u imagine 200 spm, chips would fly!
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/dffdff5f.jpg

uncle pete
09-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Plastik,
For a universal Your table should rotate, (Standing in front of the machine the table should rotate clockwise or anti clockwise or both.) Power downfeed too ya bastard :D Supposed to be excellent for doing dovetails. Again you made a awesome score and I'm happy for you.

I can't say for sure but you might check www.lathes.co.uk There's a good chance your shaper and some tips for operation might be on that site. Check the shaper section.

Pete

plastikosmd
09-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Ok saw how it rotated, didn't know that is what made it universal. You also gave me a hint how down feed will be useful. I didn't know if the down feed would be used for a slot, or on the move with each step or at the end of the cut when ready for the next pass

uncle pete
09-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Plastik,
I ran into another question yesterday when I mentioned on another forum about a vertical/horizontal mill also had universal capabilitys. For some reason the term seems to be used less and less. I've never even seen one, All I know is from what I've read about them. It is rare to see equipment that is classed as a universal machine. They were I'd guess much more money and maybe special ordered. After seeing the pictures of your machine it's exactly what I would love to have for size & capabilities.

Pete

mike4
09-11-2011, 03:22 AM
Plastik,
I ran into another question yesterday when I mentioned on another forum about a vertical/horizontal mill also had universal capabilitys. For some reason the term seems to be used less and less. I've never even seen one, All I know is from what I've read about them. It is rare to see equipment that is classed as a universal machine. They were I'd guess much more money and maybe special ordered. After seeing the pictures of your machine it's exactly what I would love to have for size & capabilities.

Pete
Congratulations on your find ,its looks to be in great condition , some have all the luck.

My mill (HM52) is quoted as a universal , it comes with horizontal and vertical spindles , the head tilts and the table can be swivelled slightly , these features were no eztra cost when I purchased it about three years ago .

They have come in handy for repairs to gearbox castings , which have been welded and require mounting areas or bearing cages to be remachined .

Its a bit of an exercise setting everything back to square to do some normal work , but its flexible in how easy it is to set up .
I have made a couple of jigs or "angle plates" which allow me to repeat setups for jobs which seem to come in from time to time as the gearboxes I mentioned earlier are fitted to a popular make in these parts and the castings are weak in some areas .But a money spinner for me .
Michael

Black Forest
09-11-2011, 03:33 AM
Mike4, What or how do you use the swivel on your table? As in for what type of operation?

I have also a universal mill and the table swivels but as of yet I have not figured out what I would use that feature to machine something.

My mill is a Klopp made in Germany and is a very good quality mill. It has ball screws on all axis and servo motors for the power feeds on all axis. It is a manual mill and maybe someday I will convert it to CNC.

Sorry for the hi-jack.

Oh, Yeah, nice shaper!

ZINOM
09-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Nice score Scott...enjoy it :)

John

plastikosmd
09-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Thank you!

Errol Groff
09-11-2011, 12:00 PM
There is a ton of PDF Shaper files on the NEMES website.

http://neme-s.org/Shaper%20Books/shaper_book_page.htm

On that same page is a ton and a half of info on other machines.

plastikosmd
09-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Thank you also

plastikosmd
09-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Delivered
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/4e9b411a.jpg
Now to get it smaller so I can get it into the shop. Came with original sales brochures and bill of sale. 3300$ back in the early 1940's. That translates to a bit over 40k today

tdmidget
09-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Never Ever come down an incline with the load first. You are lucky you and the shaper weren't hurt. If that is a rigger then he's the one you don't want to hire again.

Greg Q
09-28-2011, 06:06 PM
I cringed too when I saw that picture...it's so counterintuitive that even reckless old me was nervous for you.

Bob Ford
09-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Look closely and I think you will see a winch line attached to the back of the fork lift.

Bob

Greg Q
09-28-2011, 06:30 PM
That's true, but if you had any hiccup the load is going to want to slide downhill off the forks. Anyway, all's well that ends ditto.

Bob Ford
09-28-2011, 06:38 PM
I completely agree, but it looks like a strap goes around the machine just below the ram and is attached to the forklift. The man is also standing beside the forklift and reaching out to steer.

Bob

tdmidget
09-28-2011, 07:11 PM
Why go through all that BS instead of doing it right? The winch line indicates to me that he had no brakes on the forklift.

plastikosmd
09-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Chained to forklift, winching load down. Rigger, not me. Brakes off until he was ready to unhook