PDA

View Full Version : how many perfectly good shoes/pants have you ruined?

Tony
09-11-2011, 02:11 PM
I know better.. but it always happens. . I just need this
one thing out of the shop.. i'll wear my apron it'll be okay..

+1 today on the pair of shoes.. white ones at that.

rbertalotto
09-11-2011, 02:39 PM
All Of Them!

Evan
09-11-2011, 02:41 PM
All of them.

Dan Dubeau
09-11-2011, 02:46 PM
all of them

Black_Moons
09-11-2011, 02:46 PM
What else are they good for?

Weston Bye
09-11-2011, 02:49 PM
And shirts, too. Those who know me know that I wear only white shirts. Call it a character defect. However, if I am working in the shop or garage or yard, I"ll wear one of the shirts that was once all white.

wierdscience
09-11-2011, 04:00 PM
My entire wardrobe consists of Dark Blue Tee shirts and Blue jeans that get worn until they rot off.

So ya,all of them.

DATo
09-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Just one more reason why machinists should work naked !!! I tried it once and started a new dance craze as a result of hot, sticking chips. Naw, I'm a terrible liar.

I used to use those heavy duty blue lab coats but I found that they fell apart faster than my clothes did. Today I work in a pretty clean environment so it is mostly a non-issue. In my home shop most of the clothes I've ruined were the result of thinking ... I'm just going to do this one little thing as long as I'm in here. It's amazing how one can go through an entire day and not get a tear or oil splattered on you and then it's that one little thing that gets you.

Tony Ennis
09-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Ruined a work shirt recently. Annoying.

PixMan
09-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Ruined a pair of semi-dress (business attire) pants and a nice Polo shirt recently, showing a frined how to run a carbide insert milling cutter. Pretty blue chips flying everywhere, they ended up stuck to my pants and shirt. Of course I was able to pell them off, but the indelible melt marks are there forever.

That'll teach me, wear work clothes in a work environment. ;)

Evan
09-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Just one more reason why machinists should work naked !!!

I posted a picture of me doing that a long time ago. I don't think I should do it again. :D

topct
09-11-2011, 06:06 PM
First day at work building Kenworth trucks. My brand new never worn steel toed work boots were kissed with an angle grinder right across the right toe. Clear down to the steel.

Every time I'd look down........damn.

Dr Stan
09-11-2011, 06:13 PM
When I was working full time as a machinist or toolmaker I went through a pair of Redwing steel toe chrome leather boots a year. Mostly due to all the coolant and the effect of the chips.

As for clothes, too many to count.

lynnl
09-11-2011, 06:21 PM
I absolutely hate wearing new, or even nice clothes when I'm around the house. I'm not really into the frayed jeans look, but clothes just aren't comfortable to me until they're half worn out.
That probably stems from my childhood. My mother would always insist I not wear my nice clothes when playing. ...never had more than two or three nice shirts or pants back then.

But the same phenomena still holds. I never spill or mess up clothes that I've worn two or three days, but invariably when I put on clean, I'll spill something on them.

.RC.
09-11-2011, 06:29 PM
How many have a ruined...

hmmm how many unexpected crashes have I had in the lathe and mill.. :D

darryl
09-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Sprayed my best boots with contact cement the other day, along with one leg of my blue jeans. Yeah, all my clothes eventually get wrecked from working in the shops.

rohart
09-11-2011, 06:32 PM
I find it difficult to source shirts with button down breast pockets. I need them because I don't like my pocket radio landing either in the mud (when gardening) or on the concrete floor (when searching for tools I've dropped).

When I do find some nice ones, and this was a good week - 1 blue pilot's shirt and 2 tartan shirts from Edinburgh - they're too nice to wear in the shop at first.

But I know I must get in the shop more when the spaghetti stains out number the oil stains.

On the same subject, lathe guards usually pivot from behind, and leave the front of the chuck to spray oil on your shirt. How about a sliding/rising guard that protects your clothing but leaves you looking over it - your face should be protected anyway.

Forrest Addy
09-11-2011, 06:42 PM
All of them and boy do I get nagged when I show up wearing a Christmas shirt with a hot chop hole in it.

flylo
09-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Only 2. 2 damn many!:D

JoeLee
09-11-2011, 07:58 PM
All of them. Paint stains, oil stains, pin holes from mig welding, battery acid. Just snagged a new pair of jeans on the corner of a cut off piece of angle, nice little hole. Everybody wonders why I wear rags.
Work boots...... who cares.

JL....................

uncle pete
09-11-2011, 08:20 PM
All of them, I don't own anything but jeans and any place that won't let me in with those then I figure I don't want to be their customer anyway. My money is good AND I gotta please them? Plus I think I've put a few spots and dings in the dogs coat, His grows back tho. :D

Pete

JRouche
09-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Yup, all of them. I only were tee shirts (not white, but tee shirts all the same) and shorts, sometimes levis when it gets cold.

So when the clean clothes are on the hanger (yes, I hang up my tee shirts) and I needed to go to the store Id grab one and have to look it over. Sure as chit it would have a grease or oil spot on it that is permanent (Ive tried ALL the spray spot removers, they dont work).

I got tired of inspecting my shirts to find one that didnt have an oil spot on it so I wouldnt look like a slob that just got done eating a dripping bean and cheese burrito.

Now I have two rows of tee shirts. The shop shirts and the public shirts. The garage shirts have been modified with a small V notch on the back of the collar (scissors).

So when Im hanging my shirts up (yeah, Bronwyn refuses to hang up my tee shirts, Im happy that she is willing to wash them) I can identify the garage shirts quickly and they go on the left side of the rack. The "clean", no oil or grease stains or holes from hot metal shirts go on the right side.

So far it works great!!! I have about 40 shirts all hung up and I can grab from the side depending on what Im doing. Garage work, left side (with the lil notch), going into the public? Right side grab.

Pants and shorts? Thats a non issue. They dont seem to get thrashed as much. Levis will release a stain. I dont know why. They dont hold a stain like the cheap tees I buy.

And Ummm, seems kinda odd to be talking about clothing with a bunch of burly metal workers :) But thats ok cause there is an issue here right..

Dont want to go to town looking like you just sopped up the drippings from a great snack on yer shirt... I dont anyway... JR

914Wilhelm
09-11-2011, 09:24 PM
At least my wife has the common sense to buy my work clothes at yard sales. She feels better spending a quarter on a tee shirt I'm gonna wreck anyway. Of course I'm just waiting for the day I'm at the grocery store when some dude acuses me of stealing his "collectable" concert/beer/hunting tee shirt that his wife probably sold to mine cause his wife couldn't take him wearing it anymore.

wierdscience
09-11-2011, 09:42 PM
My personal favorite thing to get on a shirt is gear oil.Once it gets hit the gear oil funk stays no matter how many times it's washed.I like it though because it drives away people in suits:D

J Tiers
09-11-2011, 10:22 PM
So far so good..... only a few.

Many of my clothes items progress from new to "casual" to "shop and gardening", and then to "roofing and painting". Suits are not included in that (I tend to avoid wearing them, though), and khakis and polo shirts don't usually make it to 'shop grade".

When too many shirts and pants are in the "painting" category, I get nagged to toss them..... so I find the best ones and re-identify them back to "shop grade".

Eventually though , they do get surveyed out to the rag recycling.

hornluv
09-11-2011, 10:28 PM
+1 today on the pair of shoes.. white ones at that.

See. Never wear white after labor day. :D

Weston Bye
09-12-2011, 05:44 AM
...Now I have two rows of tee shirts. The shop shirts and the public shirts. The garage shirts have been modified with a small V notch on the back of the collar (scissors).

So when Im hanging my shirts up (yeah, Bronwyn refuses to hang up my tee shirts, Im happy that she is willing to wash them) I can identify the garage shirts quickly and they go on the left side of the rack. The "clean", no oil or grease stains or holes from hot metal shirts go on the right side.

... JR

Yep, my method too, except that instead of notching the collar, I notch or cut out the label on the "shop grade" shirts.

Tony
09-12-2011, 09:00 AM
tyvek suits anyone?
i'll have to wear them around the house too to make sure i've
got it on when I go in the shop.

lynnl
09-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Most of my Tee shirts are the free ones they give you for donating blood, so I don't feel at all bad when they get messed up.
The ones I buy as a tourist somewhere, I save as dress-up wear in case I'm invited to some upscale social function, e.g. a White House dinner or political fund raiser. :D

DFMiller
09-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Give me time. I have not wrecked all of my clothes yes. But I am working on it.
;-)
I think I have even wrecked at least one three piece suit.

Dave

Peter.
09-13-2011, 01:04 AM
Actually I don't do so bad. I buy cheap clothes for ruining at work so if I have to work in the garage I just wear those. Sometimes stuff slips through the net and I get the appropriate ear-bashing from her indoors :)

wbleeker
09-13-2011, 02:53 AM
I wear overalls in the shop have done since I was an apprentice, they are made to get covered in crap! Customers look funny at me when I duck next door to our Pie Shop to see the wife or a salesman!
Will