X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WJHartson
    • Oct 2002

2" -3 jaw chuck

Where can I purchase a 2" - 3 Jaw chuck. The backing plate is not important as I will have to make one to mount it on the machine I am making. I would like the chuck to have have both inside and outside jaws. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
  • Ian B
    • Dec 2002

Joe,

Sherline make a 2.5" 3 jaw - any good?

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

• Evan
      • May 2003

Bison makes a mini chuck. It is 2.36".

This website is for sale! homeshopsupply.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, homeshopsupply.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• WJHartson
        • Oct 2002

Thanks for the information on the small chucks. It was better than what I had come up with. Really need to be two inches or smaller. Maybe I can redesign for the slightly larger Bison.

Joe

Comment

Joe,

Ignore me if I'm getting too nosey but what are you going to make with your machine that it needs such a small chuck? What kind of machine are you making?

I just find it interesting. I'm partial to smaller machines.

Thanks,
          Dan

Comment

• Samuel
            • Aug 2002

try looking for a unimat 3 jaw, from memory it was one of the smallest ones I have seen(for a recent production model)..

Samuel

Comment

• gvasale
              • Mar 2002

i'll e-mail you.
              gvasale

Comment

• metal mite
                • Feb 2002

There was a man at cabin fever selling watchmakers lathe parts and accesories.
                He had many nice looking chucks that were Unimat size.
                I bought a double crosslide for my Darbyshire lathe that worked out fine.
                I'll get back with his number later.
                It's on his card at work.

Or search watchmakers, or jewelers lathe on ebay.

mite

Comment

• trains4
                  • Jun 2002

Try Harbor freight. They have a 2" 3 jaw for $25. It is screwed onto a MT2 shank.

Comment

• metal mite
                    • Feb 2002

I'll bet that's worth every bit of $25. too

mite

Comment

• WJHartson
                      • Oct 2002

Dan,

I am basicly making a hand operated lathe that will be used by jewelry people to wind jump rings in large quantity. There will be a lot of accessories that go with the unit and the holder for the accessories has to fit over the chuck and run along the bed. I have a 3" chuck and the people that I have shown it to think it is too big. The jewelry folks are very particular about what they buy. Price and size seem to be in the same catagory. If its to big or cost too much they don't want it. The thing may be to big and they won't want it anyway but I will try to make it as small as I can and see what happens. Personally I think the 3" chuck is fine.

Thanks for the other leads.

Joe

Comment

Thanks Joe! I appreciate the explanation.

Comment

• davestea
                          • Jan 2003

check these links

unimat,lathe,belts, manual, book emco, edelstaal,parts, db, sl, unimat 3, mini lathe, db200, sl1000

unimat,lathe,belts, manual, book emco, edelstaal,parts, db, sl, unimat 3, mini lathe, db200, sl1000

Comment

That's odd. The guy at the first link says that they quit making Unimats in the '80s.

Another place I saw where there was a millenium edition made in 2000. It made it sound like they never stopped making them but it also sounded like the newer ones are of Asian origin instead of Austrian.

What gives?

Anyway, it might be a source for what Joe needs.

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 01-24-2004).]

Comment

• Paul Alciatore
                              • May 2002

The Unimat DB-200 (original model, 1950s) had a 3 jaw that was 2.16" in diameter at the front and the scroll plate (exposed) at the back was 2.32" OD. It is tightened with "Tommey Bars". The construction was such that the jaws could be reversed for inside and outside work of various diameters. (I frankly wonder why larger chucks do not have this feature.) The construction is such that it could be reduced in diameter. The jaws, in the fully closed position seem to be included in a 2" circle. For any work to be held without exceeding that dimension, they would have to be reduced in size. The back plate is held on with three countersunk screws. Their heads are between the jaws on the front. TIR is about 0.002" or 0.003".

You may be able to find some of these on E-Bay. You could also try Blue Ridge Machinery.

Paul A.

Paul A.
                              s
                              Golden Triangle, SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Working...
                              X