PDA

View Full Version : How would you load a 10ee with no forklift?

T.Hoffman
09-13-2011, 12:07 AM
Wondering about loading a 10ee into a Uhaul 6x12 tandem axle trailer without the use of a forklift/backhoe/etc... In other words, manually loading it.

Was thinking about raising the lathe on a 'crib' of 6x6's or 4x4's until a height that is a few inches below the trailer floor level. This could be done with a (what we call) Jo-bar, or big lever bar with cast wheels that can handle lotso weight. The wood immediately under the lathe need to be running the length of the lathe. This would take some fiddling around, I know...

Once at the correct height, back the trailer right up to the lathe. Connect a comealong and pulling strap around the unit and attach to the front of the trailer and put some slight tension on the lathe going forward.

Use the jo-bar and start putting some 4" round wood fence posts across the underside of the lathe, it will roll on these. The tension from the come-along keeps the lathe from accidentatlly rolling backwards off the crib.

Once you have5-6 posts under the lathe, start working the lathe forward with the come-along. As a post rolls off the crib, ready that post for the bed of the trailer. The trailer has a slight rearward tilt when connected to the truck, so it won't be rolling forward in the trailer without the come-along.

Keep working the lathe into the trailer on the posts that were on the crib, until the lathe is in position on the trailer. Remove posts with jo-bar and put some wood crossmembers under the lathe for transport.

Crazy idea? Or something different?

914Wilhelm
09-13-2011, 12:13 AM
I'd find a rental store around the corner, get a forklift, raise up the machine and back the trailer under the monarch. I bet you could do this with the minimal rental time. Most importantly you would be safe and likely go home with all your fingers. It will be quick and easy and a whole lot less trouble than fussing with cribbing, pipes, and something tall with a dangerous center of balance.

wierdscience
09-13-2011, 12:21 AM
Are there any towing companies in your area?I've moved a few machines that way,call around and tell they what you need done.Most I've ever paid to have a machine that size loaded on a trailer was $150.

T.Hoffman
09-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Are there any towing companies in your area?I've moved a few machines that way,call around and tell they what you need done.Most I've ever paid to have a machine that size loaded on a trailer was $150.
I guess I'm missing this. Towing companies using what?

gundog
09-13-2011, 12:35 AM
I guess I'm missing this. Towing companies using what?

A tow truck I had one unload my 3500# vertical mill. It was slick it would not fit under the garage door so he pushed the bottom out with the arm they use on the front wheels of cars then winched off and it sat up nice and straight on some 4x4 stickers inside the door then I used a pallet jack to put it in place I just left it on the 4x4 stickers in case I need to move it again.

Mike

dp
09-13-2011, 12:40 AM
I used a towing company and they used a dual-boom truck. Worked perfectly.

http://thevirtualbarandgrill.com/machinery/whipp/

Dr Stan
09-13-2011, 01:38 AM
I know you do not have a Sunbelt rental in WI, but you may want to see if you could find a trailer like these: http://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipment/category.aspx?id=s421

Much better than a U Haul for your application.

914Wilhelm
09-13-2011, 01:51 AM
If there is not a rental store in town then ask the guy your buying it from if there is any light industrial around. Maybe you can get a dude to scoot over with the forklift at lunch and help for some beer money.

toolmaker76
09-13-2011, 02:51 AM
I moved a Monarch 10ee a few weeks ago, used a roll back, and the winch on the roll back pull it up on the bed- the lathe was on rollers, and still very nearly tipped it over, the center of gravity wants to let it tip on the front of the machine (where all the goodies are)- at least mine did without the motor.

After we got it to my shop, the driver said it could have been done with the tow truck, and just set it on the bed of my truck (I would not have wanted to do that). But I do think the method of moving/ lifting with a tow truck would be a good one, and should not cost all that much.

The roll back pulled the lathe about 30' over a rough concrete floor, brought it over the step up to the bed, secured it, hauled it 40 miles to my shop, and set it under my hoist, where I was able to lift it enough to let him roll out from under it.

The charge was $250, money I felt was well spent.

toolmaker76
09-13-2011, 07:28 AM
This thread came to mind:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=37351&highlight=new+lathe+over

The Monarch 10ee can weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000 lbs, and it is also top heavy! Like a fool, when mine started to topple I quickly jumped in to steady it, realizing later I had put myself in harm's way had I got there a second or less later. Once it passed a certain point, there would have been no human way to stop it and no time to get out of the way!

However you move it be very very careful!

SGW
09-13-2011, 07:41 AM
The Egyptians built the pyramids.....

Yes, you could do it yourself, but for a Monarch I think I would call in reinforcements and get somebody to load it.

If you are determined to do it yourself, however, I think I would raise it up via a lever no more than 3/4" at a time, alternating ends and blocking it up with stacks of 12"x12" squares of 3/4" plywood at the four corners. If you could somehow contrive to bolt a couple of 2x8 planks under the lathe front and back lengthwise of the lathe through the lathe's bolt-down holes, for eventual rollers to roll on, that would be good. Take the whole process REALLY slowly and deliberately, and if things start to look dicey, back up and re-think the next step.
If you have to buy all the blocking, planks, and assorted rigging, you will probably make a good dent in what it would cost to hire somebody to load and unload it safely in a tenth of the time.

justanengineer
09-13-2011, 07:45 AM
I suspect youre renting the wrong type of trailer from U-haul. I rented one of their open "utility" trailers to move my Bport with a 4' tall gate/ramp on the back of it. In your situation you may have to block up the ramp as insurance against bending it (maybe not tho), but otherwise simply drop the ramp, use some pipe rollers to roll the lathe to the trailer, use the JO (I call them tanker) bar to get the front edge up onto the ramp if necessary, the use a come-a-long to pull it the rest of the way up onto the trailer.

Ian B
09-13-2011, 08:24 AM
How about taking the tailgate off the trailer, and raising the towing hitch off the ground so that the trailer is on its rear wheels only. Keep lifting the towing hitch until the tail of the trailer is on the ground. Take a sheet of steel, lay it so that it makes a smooth ramp onto the trailer. Then, with a comealong / chainblock, pull the lathe lengthwise onto the trailer. I'd go tailstock first.

To reduce the chance of the lathe toppling over (fore and aft - it's not likely to go end over end), clamp a length of round bar in the chuck, support it with the tailstock. Make up 2 strops, run these from the bar in the chuck to each side rail of the trailer. Let them slide along the bar as you winch the lathe onto the trailer.

But as others have said, and especially with such a nice lathe, I'd suggest getting someone with proper lifting equipment to do it. Compare the cost of fixing damage if the machine falls over (let alone injury) with the cost of getting it lifted professionally.

Ian

T.Hoffman
09-13-2011, 09:08 AM
I suspect youre renting the wrong type of trailer from U-haul. I rented one of their open "utility" trailers to move my Bport with a 4' tall gate/ramp on the back of it.
Not getting the "ramped" 6x12, just the standard 6x12 with drop endgate which is the height of the other sides.

This thread came to mind:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...new+lathe+over

Ouch, that thought has crossed my mind. In unloading the jigsaw puzzle 10ee in my garage, I noticed how top-heavy it can be with a little lean.

gwilson
09-13-2011, 09:30 AM
I usually just get a regular tow truck with a boom on it. Moved my 16" lathe and Bridgy clone that way. Moved a 12' long old,very heavy metal lathe on a SMOOTH BED tilt bed. Bed must be SMOOTH steel. Had them drive right into a garage where we stored it and slide the lathe right off and drive out from under it. Went just fine. The lathe was pulled up onto the truck with the regular small wire cable they have on their winch. All worked due to the smooth steel bed.

uncle pete
09-13-2011, 10:36 AM
One more option you could consider. Check the local phone book listing for smaller construction businesses. You want one that has rubber tired back hoes. Those are the type that have a normal bucket on the front and a bachhoe attachment on the rear. Paying for an operater and a bit of time isn't a huge cost. Depending on traveling distances this might work.

Pete

T.Hoffman
09-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the input- found a local tow operator with a boom arm truck, and if everything goes as planned with no complications he indicated it would be $70 max. Probably less.

I'm not manually rigging stuff for that amount. Lift it up, back the trailer under, set it down. THAT is $50-70 well spent in negating time and aggravation, not to mention safety factor.

I would have all the lift straps, and have the machine out in the open for easy truck maneuvering. I really can't see it taking more than 15-20 minutes at the most....

ken
09-13-2011, 10:50 AM
forget uHaul go to sunbelt and get one of these http://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipment/equipment.aspx?itemid=0240140&catid=s421 I have used these trailers to move many things Ken

T.Hoffman
09-13-2011, 10:53 AM
forget uHaul go to sunbelt and get one of these http://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipment/equipment.aspx?itemid=0240140&catid=s421 I have used these trailers to move many things Ken
Unfortunately, no Sunbelts in Wisconsin.
They must not like cheeseheads.

The U-hual 6x12's work just dandy if I'm having it placed on the trailer.

gzig5
09-13-2011, 11:31 AM
I just loaded my 14" Rockwell onto a flat bed tow truck last Thursday. I mounted the lathe on two 8' 4x4's, rolled it on pipes to the garage door. He just backed up, tilted the bed down, put a strap around the base and pulled it up onto the bed. The buyer paid for that so I don't know what it cost.

When I brought that lathe home a few years ago, I got a tilt bed car trailer from Equipment Rentals Inc in West Bend. http://www.eqrents.com/

I think it was this one, or one very much like it. http://www.eqrents.com/equipment.asp?action=category&category=45&key=CARHAU

When I picked it up, they used a forklift to put it on my 4x4 rails and then onto the trailer. We just tilted the bed down and used pipes to unload it into the garage. It would have been more work, but with a come-along, pipes, and some muscle, I could have loaded it onto the trailer without the forklift.

T.Hoffman
09-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Also have to look at the price of trailer rental for a fancy tilt trailer at a higher cost and loading yourself vs the $29 U-haul 6x12 and then local lift rental.

I would think a $29 U-haul rental and $60 local lift is still a lot easier than a $54 tilt trailer and loading it yourself.

I didn't think I'd find a local outfit to load the lathe that cheap, but now that I found it- it is not a question for me as to which method I'm considering.

john hawkins
09-13-2011, 11:42 AM
take the lathe off of the base. now it won't be top heavy. use an engine hoist to seperate the lathe from the base. while the lathe is on the hoist load it first, then the base.

Scottike
09-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Just a thought here, After seeing many similar threads a light bulb went off.
Perhaps your local propane company has a tank trailer they would be willing to rent.
These trailers have the center section of the bed open to faciltate loading and placing large propane tanks ( 8' - 12' long) and usually have a lift point or perhaps 2 located for a come along or chainfall.
Just back the trailer up and center the machine under the lift point, lift the machine up above the trailer bed, place the support bars under the lathe and secure the machine. Off you go.
The most important thing would be the load capacity of one of these trailers,
as the propane tanks are delivered empty and filled once they are placed.
But if it works, it would make things just too easy.

JRouche
09-13-2011, 12:05 PM
I had a friend with a tractor servicing boom truck. He picked it (my 10ee) off the trailer and just about stuffed it right were I needed it in the garage.

I like the tow truck option... And every town has a tow truck. Hmm? Wonder if I could get my 10ee listed on my AAA tow package :) JR

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Jrouche/HSM/10ee_lift.jpg

macona
09-13-2011, 12:08 PM
The proper way to lift a 10EE is a cable looped around the first web support in front of the spindle between the ways. It should be pretty balanced at this point.

A fully loaded 10EE weighs 3250.

gary350
09-13-2011, 12:26 PM
What is a 10ee? My uncle wears size 12ee shoes.

SGW
09-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Pay attention to what Macona said!!!

Do NOT expect a tow truck operator to know how to rig a lathe. If he starts putting straps around and over things like the leadscrw, stop him, show him he picture JRouche posted, and insist that he do it that way. Otherwise something will get bent or broken.