X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dvo
    • Mar 2010

Bought 3/4hp 3phase motor by mistake, what to do with it

Other than a door stop what can I use this thing for? rotary phase converter?(I know nothing about the subject matter)
  • Hal
    • Mar 2005

Buy a VFD and you have great motor for most anything.

Hal

Comment

• Duffy
      • Jul 2007

Buy a phase convertor to go with it and carry on. A teco convertor will cost about $120.00, and you will NOT be sorry.
      Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

• Forrest Addy
        • Oct 2002

I vote for the VFD (it will cost you about $100). Put the motor on your drill press and you can plug the VFD into a 115V wall outlet. Here's a link:

You will kiss the ground I walk on for making this suggestion.
        Last edited by Forrest Addy; 09-13-2011, 11:10 PM.

Comment

• danlb
          • Nov 2008

Would it be worthwhile to put one of these on a 9x20 lathe, to replace the 3/4 horse that is on there now?

Dan
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• Forrest Addy
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by danlb
            Would it be worthwhile to put one of these on a 9x20 lathe, to replace the 3/4 horse that is on there now?

Dan
            Hell yes, but you might be happier with a little more HP.

Comment

• rws
              • Nov 2003

You just can't beat a VFD on a lathe.....

Comment

• Deus Machina
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Forrest Addy
                I vote for the VFD (it will cost you about $100). Put the motor on your drill press and you can plug the VFD into a 115V wall outlet. Here's a link:

You will kiss the ground I walk on for making this suggestion.
                Well, hello...

Do those work alright on 110, 15-amp circuits? And do they have a 115 -> 220 single-phase?
                Last edited by Deus Machina; 09-14-2011, 07:53 AM.

Comment

• BigBoy1
                  • Jun 2006

Make your own rotary phase converter

I used a small 3-phase motor to build my own rotary phase converter so I can run a larger HP 3-phase motor on my lathe. Your 3/4 HP just might be just the ticket to do something like that.
                  Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

• J Tiers
                    • Jan 2004

use more than 3/4 HP on a 9 x 20?

OOOOOOKAAAAAYYYYY

Seems like that is enough to take two turns and a half hitch on the bed of a 9 x 20.

I have a 1/3 HP on a 10" Logan , and have NEVER had any limitation from the motor whatsoever. And I KNOW that machine can stand a larger motor just fine.

JT

Originally posted by BigBoy1
                    I used a small 3-phase motor to build my own rotary phase converter so I can run a larger HP 3-phase motor on my lathe. Your 3/4 HP just might be just the ticket to do something like that.
                    The usual rule is the reverse..... A 1 HP RPC for a half horse load, 2HP for 1 HP load, etc.

I am not sure how you have the "small" RPC set up to start the "larger" motor on the lathe. if it works, I guess it works, but...
                    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• jep24601
                      • Jun 2010

My 13" swing LeBlond came with a 3/4 HP motor.
                      (Though maybe that was to limit damage as it was originally supplied to a high school)
                      "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

• lakeside53
                        • Nov 2007

3/4 hp on a vfd will only give 3/4 hp around it's nominal frequency of 60hz. At say 30hz, you'll get about 3/8 hp..

If it worries you (shouldn't) then just set the VFD motor current so that it can only get 1/2 hp out.

Yes, you can buy a VFD that runs from 120v, BUT... it won't run on a typicial GFCI (if that bothers you). There is no "fault" - just the vfd noise currents being filtered to ground inside the vfd.

Comment

• dvo
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by BigBoy1

This sounds like a better use for my little motor. Please elaborate? What was the hp of your rpc and hp of the lathe motor? and what the max hp the rpc can drive?

Comment

• Forrest Addy
                            • Oct 2002

dvo. I don't think I'm overselling when I suggest you research the VFD ad get some referrals. You havve a several speeds on a lathe, mill, drill whatever. The variable speed feature of the VFD fills in between - an important thing when you need lower speeds than you can gear for.

You may wish to avoid what seems like complication but installing a VFD is no more complex than building a phase converter.

I'm sure a few will chime in with VFD testimonials. I have four on my machine tools.
                            Last edited by Forrest Addy; 09-14-2011, 06:35 PM.

Comment

• ironnut
                              • Apr 2011

Send it to me

Actually Forrest's suggestion is an excellent one. I replaced the 1 hp Taiwanese motor on my 30 year old Grizzly mill with a 3/4 hp 3 phase 1725 rpm motor. It is so sweet. The VFD was just over $100. It will drive a 1 hp 3 phase 220 volt motor while being fed by 120 volt single phase power. It has a surprising amount of torque at low speeds as the VFD can push more current to the motor in an attempt to maintain the speed setting. Reversing is very easy. I love not having to change belt positions to get correct speeds. I can run 3/16" to 1/2" drills with good results, even larger if I take it easy. I would never go back to the single phase motor.

I don't believe a rotary phase converter based on a 3/4 motor can safely run a 3 phase motor larger than itself. I thought that typically if you wanted to run a 3 hp 3 phase motor, that you needed a rotary converter based on a 5 hp motor.

gordon
                              Last edited by ironnut; 09-14-2011, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X