PDA

View Full Version : Another complaint about EBay...how to search and get results ?

RussZHC
09-16-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm glad dp found the wheel he was looking for...

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=49932

so as not to hijack...I found it odd that if you use the exact phrase/title of the item [size, maker, type, another identifier (toolroom)] you get no results.
Mentioned since earlier on I searched using "37C", as well as various other versions including various Norton and grinding orders and spellings.
The only way I can get a "hit" on EBay for that item directly (as opposed to going through the link given, which takes you to the EBay ad) is to search by auction number [which of course you don't have until you find it the first time]

If this is a general pattern with EBay search, A LOT of stuff is going to go without much attention...you would think it would be in EBay's best interest to have a search feature that functioned better...or am I just being dense, again?

rythmnbls
09-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Try using google to search ebay,

Just put the item you're looking for followed by the site name into the search string. i.e. If I wanted to search ebay for a compressor wheel I would enter

compressor wheel site:ebay.com

HTH

Steve.

EddyCurr
09-16-2011, 04:35 PM
The problem RussZHC is pointing out lies specifically with a wheel offered
by ggmachine, item #370089796891

7X3/4X1-1/4" NORTON GRINDING WHEEL 37C320-J8E TOOLROOM (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370089796891#shId)

When he searches for it using any of the terms in the Title, there is no result.
In fact, if you go to the link above and then select 'See other items' and
proceed to search under 'Items for sale from Member id ggmachine' for the
same wheel , the Search still draws a blank.

Searches for other items from ggmachine are successful.

I attribute this behavior to a glitch in the Matrix (issues with eBay's database
indexes) regarding the particular entry for the Norton Wheel. However, if
searches within the US turn up the item when searches from Canada do not,
well that would be another matter altogether ...

macona
09-16-2011, 07:02 PM
I typed in "37c wheel" in ebay and got a bunch of results:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=37c+wheel&_sacat=12576&_odkw=37c&_osacat=12576&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Do not get over specific on ebay.

EddyCurr
09-16-2011, 07:24 PM
I typed in "37c wheel" in ebay and got a bunch of results:Right - but you didn't get the specific auction item #370089796891 linked
above. Under other circumstances, it would have been included in your
search results.

aboard_epsilon
09-16-2011, 07:34 PM
not being listed because it's in his store

Maybe you have to pay extra to get it to come up in the searches if you have a store .

maybe store is very cheap rate that doesnt include bringing it up in searches.

all the best.markj

EddyCurr
09-16-2011, 07:54 PM
The "ALINA HEIGHT TRANSFER GAGE" #300598954813 is in the vendor's store,
too. It comes up in searches for "Alina Gage".

gary350
09-16-2011, 07:59 PM
If you make a search too detailed then you often find nothing. Leave out a few works then it will find more things. Do a search using only 2 or 3 key words usually works best.

I listed a box of brand new grinding wheels on ebay last week for $9.99 and no one bid. Its probably $75 value of stuff maybe more. Very few people even looked at the auction. It is had to know what people will search for so when typing the subject line a seller needs words that will get a hit by buyers that are searching. So I have a box of brand new grinding wheels you never put Brand New in the subject line. I just did a search for brand new and found 6,308,698 auctions. How long will it take to look through that list. I did a search for brand new grinding wheels now I found 4,252 auctions that narrows it down some but still it will take 2 days to look at that list of auctions. It is tricky doing a search and also listing an item for sale.

The problem with finding auctions if you do a search and find 3,000,000. then the auction is lost, it is like trying to find one specific rock on a mountain side. It is much easier to find and auction if your search only finds a few items. I'm not sure I am explaining this so it makes sense. Example, I had an item I want to sell I listed it for sale many times but there are 10,000,000. auctions that came up on a search of these on ebay no one will every find my auction among a list that large. So I donated it to goodwill and took a $100 tax deduction instead of selling it for $25.

EddyCurr
09-16-2011, 08:02 PM
If you make a search too detailed then you often find nothing.
Leave out a few works then it will find more things. Do a search using only
2 or 3 key words usually works best.Have you tried this on the specific auction in question?

RussZHC
09-16-2011, 08:27 PM
In an effort to clarify and perhaps stir the pot a bit, another example [I happen to be looking for one such].

Chuck = 66 120 results
Lathe chuck = 1867 results
Bison chuck = 159
6" lathe chuck = 436
6" lathe 4 jaw chuck = 81
4 jaw chuck = 316

But "6" 3 jaw chuck" gets 140 results, on just the first page of those, the first item is in fact a 10" 3 jaw chuck, the 12th item of page one, that result is a 3" 6 jaw chuck, results # 13, # 14, #16, # 17, # 19 of the first 20 results are not what the search called for...granted some parts are correct, either the number of jaws, or 6" or chuck BUT if their search engine gives those results and that's just the first page of 3 pages, well my percentages of that original search for 6" 3 jaw chuck are not good!

It wastes my time (I do spend a lot of time searching for a large variety of things as it is) but more from the sellers view, it lessens greatly the chance of a sale or a sale of very limited offers at best.
I sure don't know that all available chucks of that size and number of jaws have been found.

I have found, at least among the stores/sellers I save, the percentage is quite good of their "store" items showing up in a broader search.

Edit: I was not aware of syntax so thanks for that (next reply to thread) BUT can sort of understand...of those # above that got results, quite a few are for D-6 mount...which to me implies the search is returning results based on that "6" but, why I would disagree that results are good, that implies if you have a "6" anywhere in your title if you are a seller, I, as the potential buyer of a chuck, will get a result...if its 6", a D-6 mount, if its got 6 jaws, if you are selling 6 of them...

lakeside53
09-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Ebays search engine usually work very well... You can find the details and SYNTAX on the ebay's site.

Usually I get way too many hits; then I add deletions. For example, if you a are looking for something that's a similar (but not correct) part found on honda and mazda, you can remove those with -honda -mazda in the search string.

EddyCurr
09-16-2011, 08:43 PM
For my part, I marvel at the ability of the database technology employed
by eBay to index the relentless submission of new items into a searchable
collection without apparent downtime, despite the volume of records
being managed.

In olden days when indexes became out of date/corrupt, it was necessary to
take databases off line while the indexes were rebuilt - if there were any
significant numbers of records involved, then it was a somewhat lengthy
operation.

RussZHC
09-16-2011, 09:16 PM
So I took lakeside's advice and checked out what EBay suggests to do when searching...using the "exact words, exact order" choice and trying 6" 3 jaw lathe chuck, you STILL get a
10" 3-jaw self-centering lathe chuck D1-6 mounting...as the first result

and, if one is into following rules about how EBay states to place the hyphen when searching, three of the first four in that same search use a hyphen and none follow the "rule" about placement, so...

lakeside53
09-16-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm not sure what the issue is. You get 139 results. it takes a few seconds to scan down and find what you want. Hypen is what you put in as a minus preceded by a space and hard against the term, not what ebay returns

You are assuming that any lister will put a 6, 3, lathe, jaw and chuck in the title. I'd try 6 3 chuck, (479 results) or whatever to get maximum results, then eyeball.

BTW, it will ignore the single " so don't bother putting it in. Less terms is better for less common items, then add deletes if there's too many results to resolve by gray-matter eyeball scan.

EddyCurr
09-16-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm not sure what the issue is.He doesn't expect to see a 10" chuck when he issues an Exact Word Exact Order
search for a 6" chuck.

FWIW, I imagine that the 10" chuck appears because the search engine
detects the 6 in D1-6 as an appropriate match for the given criteria.

vpt
09-17-2011, 09:44 AM
I talked with a girl once at ebay and told her of a problem I was having trying to search for OEM ford headlights. Everything was coming up even without OEM in the title. She said I see what you mean and we'll look into it. After a couple days it started working like it should, I would search OEM and titles only and sure enough only auctions with OEM in the title would come up. Now the other day I was searching the same thing and see that for some reason it is back to the same old thing of having everything come up.

Ebay is junk!