PDA

View Full Version : OT, Elephant followed me all the way from Arizona to West Virginia

jhe.1973
09-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just came across this from last spring & I had forgotten about it.

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g327/jhe-1973/DSC_0405a.jpg

Well it’s like this see, I upgraded my Bridgeport & I traded my old one to a dear friend back in WV.

I always take the entire turret & ram assembly off to transport these ‘cuz they are so much more stable that way.

After I was on the road and the wind was hitting the silver tarp just right I grabbed the camera & pointed it over my shoulder & this is the result.

Aw come on, it was a long trip & I needed something to amuse me.

You don’t even want to hear the animal impressions I made the rest of the way!
:D

P.S. That's funny, I don't care who you are!

Black Forest
09-16-2011, 05:38 PM
A dear friend and you traded him a Bridgeport. Glad your not my friend!

And you hauled it from Arizona to the east coast. You must have been really mad at him.

John Stevenson
09-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Thank God there is an ocean in between us :D :rolleyes:

Toolguy
09-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Apparently there wasn't an ocean between you and SOMEone else since you ended up with one!:p

jhe.1973
09-16-2011, 06:59 PM
A dear friend and you traded him a Bridgeport. Glad your not my friend!

And you hauled it from Arizona to the east coast. You must have been really mad at him.

Well, harumph!

Do I detect a subtle undercurrent of dislike for Bridgeports?:confused:

Lew Hartswick
09-16-2011, 07:12 PM
I can't even tell what it is. The pix too dark.
...lew...

jhe.1973
09-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Hi Lew,

I just lightened it up a bit.

My laptop was quite dark though the regular displays in the office I am in now display OK.

Hope it helps.

:)

Black Forest
09-17-2011, 01:53 AM
"Do I detect a subtle undercurrent of dislike for Bridgeports?"

I have a real mill not a wet noodle!

No I don't have anything against Bridgeports. I just did not want Sir John to feel so lonely on this forum. I know the feeling of me against the rest of the population!

oil mac
09-17-2011, 04:22 PM
J H E It could have been worse, you could have left my Elliot 00 with your friend, Then he would have most certainly sent for "The Mob" to throw you into the river at midnight:eek: :D

boslab
09-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Apparently there wasn't an ocean between you and SOMEone else since you ended up with one!:p
et tu brutae lol
mark

jhe.1973
09-17-2011, 09:54 PM
J H E It could have been worse, you could have left my Elliot 00 with your friend, Then he would have most certainly sent for "The Mob" to throw you into the river at midnight

Hi oil mac,

I had to look up what an Elliot 00 was - now I understand.:)

My dear friend had a sweet little Elgin vertical mill w/power feed & I already have a horizontal Elgin w/o the power feed.

His problem was that he is an excavator by trade and not too much on dozers, loaders, backhoes etc. lends itself to an Elgin.

So, now after the trade we are both :D

He has a bigger mill, I have a smaller mill for some of my clock work etc. plus the power feed is the same for both mills.

The only down side I see is that now I have another project to add to my list - copying the power feed items.

Works for me!

P.S. He was so happy he gave me an Atlas shaper. :D :D

P.P.S. Maybe I should have started a tool gloat about the shaper?

Black Forest
09-18-2011, 04:46 AM
"His problem was that he is an excavator by trade and not too much on dozers, loaders, backhoes etc. lends itself to an Elgin."

Let me get this right. He needs to do heavy work and his Elgin was too light duty so he traded for a Bridgeport.

I bet Sir John is rolling on his floor laughing!!!!! Oh wait, John doesn't have a floor to roll on.

jhe.1973
09-18-2011, 06:12 AM
Let me get this right. He needs to do heavy work and his Elgin was too light duty so he traded for a Bridgeport.

I bet Sir John is rolling on his floor laughing!!!!! Oh wait, John doesn't have a floor to roll on.

Any chance you don't know what an Elgin vertical mill is?

Bridgeport: 1850 lbs.

Elgin: 900 lbs. w/installed rotary phase convertor.

Yes, I weighed both.:D

Black Forest
09-18-2011, 06:18 AM
I do not know what an Elgin is but I figured from your post it was smaller than a Bridgeport.

Just to explain....There is a running joke/theme on this site regarding John Stevenson and his dislike for his Bridgeport mill. He says he only keeps it because to replace it with a more ridgid mill would require him to move too many machines to get the Bridgeport out of his shop.

So I was just having a poke at you. All in fun. I hope he enjoys his wet noodle!

jhe.1973
09-18-2011, 06:36 AM
No offense taken for sure:)

I REALLY enjoy the banter that goes on here. Reminds me so much of working in some of the shops I had the good fortune of being in.

P.S. Thanks for accepting me enough to poke fun!:D

Black Forest
09-18-2011, 06:44 AM
P.S. Thanks for accepting me enough to poke fun!

Now you are pushing it!!

John Stevenson
09-18-2011, 07:11 AM
Just to explain....There is a running joke/theme on this site regarding John Stevenson and his dislike for his Bridgeport mill. He says he only keeps it because to replace it with a more ridgid mill would require him to move too many machines to get the Bridgeport out of his shop.

Yes it's true, I reckon 3 days to do the swap over.
Seriously though one of my customers has just bought a Taiwanese mill to just do a one off job, He looked at a Bridgy but would have needed to quite rare long bed version as he wants to fill slot on some strips that are 32"long and the standard Bridgy with power feed can't do it.

This is the mill he bought.

http://www.warco.co.uk/44-552-thickbox/wm40-turret-mill---milling-machine.jpg

It has a 51" table and 30" of travel but with a slight alteration the the mounting brackets this can be increased to 36"
The knee motor is an inbuilt 3 phase motor driving thru a worm drive gearbox, real heavy duty.

Fully tooled this cones out at 6K but less tax which is claimable back it's 5K.
I have seen clapped out bridgies at this price, no comparison in my book.