PDA

View Full Version : Tool cabinets for cheap

Bill736
09-16-2011, 11:45 PM
I've been looking around lately for some additional tool storage drawer units. The base cabinets on wheels are the most practical for me, but units with 5 or more drawers have gotten expensive. I looked at Sears and at Harbor Freight, and didn't find anything well made and inexpensive. Then today, I went to Lowes, and found their Task Force 5 drawer cabinet unit, on wheels, for $84. They're red, and have a black plastic work surface top.
The quality is surprisingly good, and they're made in the USA ( although some parts may be made elsewhere). The price was so low I bought two of them.
The friction type slides allow full drawer extension, and work smoothly enough. They're not top quality heavy duty units, but they're worth considering for storage of tools you don't use every day. And, the slides don't use any plastic parts. Small, delicate plastic parts are becoming common even in the slides of higher priced units.

JRouche
09-17-2011, 12:24 AM
Hey Bill, great score.. Im not a tool storage "snob" like some seem to be. I say use whatever gets the tools out of the dust and dirt of the garage and makes the tools available to grab easily VS having them in say a large cardboard box. Sounds weird? But its NOT. Some folks have nothing but a cardboard box, keeps it off the floor anyway. Again, I like whatever works for the owner of the tools. And believe it or not if it happens to be a cardboard box I will be the last person to say anything bad... JR

JRouche
09-17-2011, 12:43 AM
I wanted to add. There are some guys here that work with wood also. That can be an inexpensive method of storing your tools. I scored a lot of drawer slides that were used for kitchen cabinets. Seems there are alot of folks out here remodeling their kitchens and ripping out all the old stuff. I hooked up with a remodeler and saw he was taking and entire kitchen cabinet system to the land fill, no recycle value out here it seems. So I asked if I could remove the slides. He said go for it. Cordless drill in hand I zipped screws out and let them drop and grabbed the slides as they dropped. Freebie. 15 minutes of work for 34 slides that were only ten years old.

Ok, Im retired and dont have alot of extra money. So the total time 30 minutes, some spent shooting the chit with the owner was worth it for me.

For a guy that works with wood some nice cabinets (nice meaning better than the cardboard box) could be made with some 2x4s, 1x3s and some plywood. And YES, wood is getting very expensive also. But some folks have some wood hanging around just waiting for a use.

Im a scrounger!!! Make do with what I have. It may be glue and old newspapers. So what. Ya might be surprised what I can conger up with some glue, newspapers and some old paint to hide the never ending bad print. :) JR

CCWKen
09-17-2011, 12:57 AM
Must have been an in-store close-out. Their catalog says it's no longer carried at Lowe's. :(

Bill736
09-17-2011, 02:07 AM
I also noticed that the 5 drawer unit doesn't show up online. It may have been a closeout, but was not marked as such. Sometimes at stores like Lowes and Sears, items are on sale that are not listed in any catalog. I suppose you have to be at the right place at the right time. I'm thinking I ought to go buy another unit while they have them, but I'm finally completely out of floor space !
I agree that wood cabinets can also make great tool and parts storage. Last week, I stopped by a used furniture store, and bought an old kitchen pantry wood cabinet, circa 1930s, for $75. It has drawers and shelves and doors that close, and will come in handy.
The store owner, who refinishes most of his furniture, told me that every time HGTV features older , somewhat primitive furniture in a home, the local women flock to his store and buy up everything old in sight !

Dawai
09-17-2011, 05:56 AM
Bill.. take the rollers off one and stack em.. but be very aware when you pull a drawer out on the top one you might get body slammed.

I used file cabinets way back "then" as tool lockers.. Sheesh.. life is fine, then you are fighting to keep a big metal box off you.

A file cabinet at auction is "almost free" most the time.

told me that every time HGTV features older , somewhat primitive furniture in a home, the local women flock to his store and buy up everything old in sight ! Yes.. and when Dirty Harry used a pistol, 629 or automag, the price went up.. and Jessie James used a power hammer, you could not touch them at auction anymore. What was $50, nobody wanted is now +$2500.

Bill736
09-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Yes, I was indeed planning on stacking them one on top of the other. My tape measure, however, revealed that I'd have to grow a couple of inches to see into the top drawer. Since at this point in my life I'm shrinking, I guess I'll have to put them side by side. Some of the best metal drawer units were built to hold computer punch cards, back in the late 1960s to early 70s. They typically have 9 to 13 drawers, and are very sturdy. I have two of them, and I'm sorry I didn't get more of them years ago. When punch cards went the way of the dinosaurs, those cabinets were for sale everywhere for about $25. Now, you see them on eBay for $200 plus a big shipping cost. I'm long ago retired, but if you work for a good sized company that has surplus sales, you can still get some real bargains.

T.Hoffman
09-17-2011, 01:48 PM
I've been contemplating the HF $369 13 drawer cabinet for some time now as an extra storage for me.
Eyed it up several times in person now, with loaded drawers the roller slides are a must.

For the money, I don't think it is that bad.... Rarely can you get 60+ people all to agre and be happy with anything, let alone a tool cabinet. Reading through the 69 reviews, it still averages 5 stars and I can see why for the price.

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-drawer-red-industrial-quality-roller-cabinet-90320.html

Black_Moons
09-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Don't diss friction slides, Once you take em apart and grease em ever so lightly (just on the lips! don't use them as a place to wipe grease off your hands like the toolbox I got for free and took apart.. with 6 diffrent types of grease misapplyed to the SIDE of the rails), they will glide very nicely even with a drawer full of hammers.

RobbieKnobbie
09-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Bill.. take the rollers off one and stack em.. but be very aware when you pull a drawer out on the top one you might get body slammed.

I used file cabinets way back "then" as tool lockers.. Sheesh.. life is fine, then you are fighting to keep a big metal box off you.

A file cabinet at auction is "almost free" most the time.

Yes.. and when Dirty Harry used a pistol, 629 or automag, the price went up.. and Jessie James used a power hammer, you could not touch them at auction anymore. What was $50, nobody wanted is now +$2500.

Which is exactly why I HATE the new show Cafe Racers... I'm expecting the prices on Triumphs - new and old - to shoot through the roof. It'll probably also shoot the sh!t out of the 1970's UJM market as well :mad:

BobL
09-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Some of the best metal drawer units were built to hold computer punch cards, back in the late 1960s to early 70s. They typically have 9 to 13 drawers, and are very sturdy. I have two of them, and I'm sorry I didn't get more of them years ago. When punch cards went the way of the dinosaurs, those cabinets were for sale everywhere for about $25. Now, you see them on eBay for $200 plus a big shipping cost.

I managed to pick up a set of well used map drawers out of the work dumpster. Most of the drawers were tight as, but a few dabs of grease sorted that out very quickly
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l570/BobLx/Shed%20Stuff/enclosure.jpg

I was amazed how much they could hold.
Here's some picks when I started to fill them with "stuff".
The measurement drawer.
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l570/BobLx/Shed%20Stuff/MEasure.jpg
Small Fixings Drawer
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l570/BobLx/Shed%20Stuff/smallfix.jpg
Tool steel drawer
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l570/BobLx/Shed%20Stuff/Toolsteel.jpg

A few months ago I was in a used furniture mart and I saw an identical set, albeit in better cosmetic condition than mine, with a ticket price of $499! New here in Australia they can cost over $1000.
I will eventually lift them even further above the floor and build a work table - layout bench over the top of them.

Bill736
09-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Wow ! Those map drawers are nice ! I suppose blueprint cabinets are about the same size . I'm sure they're well made, and with lots and lots of room.
I took my lady friend out to lunch today, and we had to go pretty near the Lowes store where I bought the two Task Force 5 drawer tool chests, for $84 per. I couldn't resist, and stopped in and bought a third chest ! Never mind that I'd already run out of floor space ( and money). You just can't let such limitations alter your buying plans !

panchula
09-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Here's what I drug home from the CNC Workshop at Washtenaw Community College this past June.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~panchula/00210small.jpg

Not bad for less than $30. It's a May-o-matic. I think the lower section of 5 drawers moves -- but I have no idea how.

It's working great as worktop and storage unit.

-Mike

PixMan
09-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Since we're all doing tool storage gloats, here's mine:

First up, a Kennedy #295B for $100:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/kenm10759/Dads%20shop/IMG_0305-r-1.jpg

Then, a Kennedy stainless steel 4-drawer for $30:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/kenm10759/Dads%20shop/IMG_0274-r-1.jpg

Not as good as some others here, but still very nice for the prices paid. Craigslist for both. Grabbed within minutes of being posted each time because I knew they wouldn't last.