PDA

View Full Version : Scary Welding Video!

Chris S.
09-17-2011, 12:41 AM
Billed as the world's smallest welder. The good part starts at about 1:09 seconds. This appears to be nothing more than a welding rod connected directly the building MAINS!!! :eek: :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqxtDC-VAg8&feature=player_detailpage

Chris

JRouche
09-17-2011, 12:48 AM
Wow, love the voice, sounds like the same dude I get when I call my credit card company. JR

Umm, a rectifier? Who knows. Scary, I want one!!!

CCWKen
09-17-2011, 01:17 AM
Most likey just a big resistor.

J Tiers
09-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Most likey just a big resistor.

or more likely a large diode.....

Iraiam
09-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Any guesses as to how many OSHA violations a device like that would create?

vpt
09-17-2011, 09:12 AM
Looks to me like a yellow plastic cover over a stud with washers and a couple nuts.

J Tiers
09-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Looks to me like a yellow plastic cover over a stud with washers and a couple nuts.

Quite possibly.

The label makes it "official" as a welder?

philbur
09-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Didn't see that they actually welded anything.

Phil:)

Scottike
09-17-2011, 10:55 AM
It's a welder! It's a plasma cutter! It's a cutting torch!
Why spend thousands of $ on all those heavy tools that won't let you get to where you need to work because you have to lug around those heavy cables?
Order one today and we'll throw in a second one for free!(+ $500.00 s&h)
Call POS-2727 today! But wait! There's more! If you call in the next 1000 minutes, we'll throw in not one, but two pairs of our new, stylish welding glasses designed by Martha Stewart! Perfect for going to the beach as well as welding!

Chris S.
09-17-2011, 11:02 AM
They state that it delivers 1000 Amps @ 115V. That computes to 115,000 Watts! Then they tell you to connect the hot line to to the MAINS switch. Did you see the switch? No way on God's green earth is that decrepit old switch rated for 1000A @ 115VAC. My bet is they're connecting it directly to the (hot side of the switch) pole power transformer Mains. Secondly, take note of the wire gauge that he's connecting to the switch. It's not going to carry a KA without melting! :eek:

Chris

And they wonder why having electric power is not constant in the Philipines...:D

Black_Moons
09-17-2011, 11:05 AM
You think that one is scary? try this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAplLEjTriE&feature=related
Hard to tell, but I think at the begining they show it wired to his mains drops before the meter (And main breaker!) at 50 seconds in, im pertty sure hes mildly electrocuting himself. look at his hand flap.

And it only gets stupider from there as he holds both ends (Apparently on the insulators) in each hand, then sticks one end to his FACE.

But at least this one is 1.8x1.8x8.5" and not 1cmx1cmx1cm like the other fist sized one. :P So you know the guy advertising it at least knows how to use a ruler.

MichaelP
09-17-2011, 11:51 AM
I especially like seeing some people on Youtube and here seriously discussing flaws of the design. :D

Black_Moons
09-17-2011, 11:58 AM
For there to be flaws in the design, there would first need to be a design.

MichaelP
09-17-2011, 12:31 PM
It's a perfectly valid design signed into production on April 1, 2011.

KiddZimaHater
09-17-2011, 02:57 PM
It looked a tad bigger than the described 1CM by 1CM.

loose nut
09-17-2011, 03:28 PM
I thought it was about a midget welder.

Now do they adjust the amperage.

Scottike
09-17-2011, 05:25 PM
And they wonder why having electric power is not constant in the Philipines...:D

With a power grid like this, what did you expect?

http://studio.berkeley.edu/art23/fa08/art44/digitaldivide/Infrastructure.html

gary350
09-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Its a hoax. It looks like a threaded rod with a piece of yellow pipe in the center, 4 flat washers on each side, a place for 1 wire and a place for the rod. What you don't see in the video when it is welding they have it all hooked to a real welder.

There are plenty of Hoax on You Tube check out the one where the guy pulls free electricity out of the air and lights up a 100 watt light bulb.

You Tube needs to have a way to FLAG, report or Delete Fake Videos. There are 100s of excellent TRUE History videos on You Tube. I especially like old WWII videos it pisses me off to click a video that looks real to find it is a Cartoon with Rap Music.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=563_1188208737

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAxySDG_jjs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34xz-WPVZqg&feature=related

rohart
09-17-2011, 08:51 PM
1000A at 115V is nonsense.

The power has to go somewhere, and it goes into heat. Now I can't stand three feet from a 1KW bar fire for more than a couple of minutes without a burning feeling.

115,000 watts would just give me enough time to run for my life before I was fried.

The welder in the video is using a normal amount of welding power, maybe 150 amps at 30 volts, a few KW at the most.

Since I believe the videos that show you how to weld with three car batteries in series, I think a diode connected to 115V would blow holes in anything thinner than 1/4 inch, and that includes the electrode. Anything thicker, and most small mains supplies would self destruct.

Mcostello
09-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Nothing like having full blown electric mains power in your hand or in your pocket. If anything goes wrong it will sure be a fast ending.

Don Young
09-17-2011, 10:38 PM
I think the 1000 ampere rating is pretty realistic since that size piece of solid steel would probably handle that much current without destroying itself! What we are seeing is pretty much what you see if the main feeders get shorted together. I don't know what the short current capability of a typical pole transformer is but I seem to recall that 200A main breakers are speced to safely interrupt short circuit currents of around 5000 amperes. Of course you don't get short circuit current and any significant voltage at the same time from a pole transformer.

None of this means I disagree with any of the previous comments or think that video and product are in any way valid or worthwhile.

JoeLee
09-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Nothing like having full blown electric mains power in your hand or in your pocket. If anything goes wrong it will sure be a fast ending.

Amen................ How do you vary the amperage?????? I guess you don't.
and 1000 amps , I doubt it. Definitely not UL approved. on off switch???

JL...................

Chris S.
09-18-2011, 11:09 AM
I think the 1000 ampere rating is pretty realistic since that size piece of solid steel would probably handle that much current without destroying itself!

I'm not questioning the hunk of metal they call a "Welder", but I do question the wire gauge that you see the victim connecting to the mains. At 1KA that cable would glow like an oven heater element, and that's a conservative prediction. :D

Chris

Jpfalt
09-18-2011, 05:04 PM
I am aware of a few things that would apply in this case.

During about 1900 to 1920, the "new" hi tech way to weld was bare wire. It used available DC or AC line current and used a bare steel wire as the electrode. US shipyards used this method during WW1. One thing that came out of it was that welders discovered that if you laid a pine board along side the weld, you got a better weld. Current control was done by holding the arc length where you wanted it. If you were using DC, the hi and low heat was determined by switching positive or negative to the electrode. Connection of the negative to the elctrode threw more heat into the weld and positive electrode threw more heat into the rod.

The most recent story I heard about this method was from the Pillipines where the "welder" shinnied up a power pole and clipped one end of a cable onto a 220 volt power line, came back down and started welding after clipping an electrode into the other end of the cable. According to the story the guy did a fairly good job of welding.

Chris S.
09-18-2011, 05:41 PM
The most recent story I heard about this method was from the Pillipines where the "welder" shinnied up a power pole and clipped one end of a cable onto a 220 volt power line, came back down and started welding after clipping an electrode into the other end of the cable. According to the story the guy did a fairly good job of welding.

Was this found in the obituary section? :D

GNO
09-18-2011, 06:19 PM
reminds me of a saying of a guy I worked with [Makes perfect sense.....if you don't think much about it.!!!! :)