PDA

View Full Version : Don't get rid of any tools!

DICKEYBIRD
09-18-2011, 09:47 AM
You just never know when one will save your bacon.:eek:

The spindle bearings on my old Taiwanese Emco Compact 8 clone have been getting steadily worse over the past year. I bought the replacement bearings a while back and decided to replace them yesterday. Boy, did I feel weak & powerless the entire time the lathe was apart. Lathe withdrawal is a a sickening feeling!:eek:

The process seemed simple going in; just a couple tapered bearings & races to change out. The inner races were much tighter on the spindle than I anticipated and tapping or prying off the one at the chuck end was a no-go.

I dredged around and found some old tools I haven't used in years and finally got them changed out without buggering up the new bearings. The screw press is an old British Leyland tool I saved from going into the dumpster many years ago and the slide hammer had been used to extract many, many trans. pilot shaft bushings & starter/generator bushings in the seventies. The driver tool was a trans. bearing installer for Triumph TR4's or TR6's I think.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/DBAviation/SpindleBrgTools.jpg

Carld
09-18-2011, 09:50 AM
There's a lot of stuff I will part with but tools is one thing I keep far a life time or until they break and can't be repaired.

Deus Machina
09-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Yup. If a tool is functional or can easily be made functional, it stays in the garage.

After doing some work, I even have a nearly complete but nearly worn out set of bearings for my mill and brake pads for my car.

Even wear parts like that, I hang onto if they're at all serviceable. I learned that after an uncle's boat blew out a brand-new bearing after a total rebuild, or a brand-new brake pad on the great-uncle's (other side) car somehow sheared right off the rivets.

DATo
09-18-2011, 10:11 AM
My dad wore this to all auctions, garage sales and salvage yards *LOL*

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z430/D-D-DATonian/Junk.jpg

DICKEYBIRD
09-18-2011, 10:35 AM
My dad wore this to all auctions, garage sales and salvage yards *LOL*

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z430/D-D-DATonian/Junk.jpgNow that's way cool. Gotta make one of those!

Boucher
09-18-2011, 11:02 AM
I have been downsizing both tools and material stock supplies since retirement. I find that things that I have not used or needed in years become needed again two weeks after they are disposed of. After recently giving several thousand feet of 1 black pipe away, I just paid $15 for four feet for a burner project. Tools are especially that way. Having the right tool for the job is very gratifying.

flylo
09-18-2011, 11:48 AM
There's a old place on Lake Michigan that has a sign that says "we buy junk & sell antiques". I always laugh when I go by.:D

MrSleepy
09-18-2011, 11:52 AM
So do I keep my new vernier guage..

measuring things by the inch seems very difficult.

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac180/MrSleepy123/Vernier_scale.jpg

Rob

tyrone shewlaces
09-18-2011, 11:52 AM
After recently giving several thousand feet of 1 black pipe away, I just paid $15 for four feet for a burner project.

Now there ya go!
Over the eons I've ended up with more tools than I need and seems like I'm always saying "Yea I have two of those". Thus I've been trying to offload the unneeded and downsize. Harder than it should be.

Anyway, MATERIAL is the hardest thing to justify getting rid of for me. It was "junk" when I got it and it just goes into the pile so I can pull it out later and use it for something. Since there's no word for "worse than junk" I tend to just let the pile get bigger. I don't keep everything, only the stuff that seems like I may use someday.

Besides, the metal pile can just be thrown in a bin and hauled off for scrap or whatever if something happens to me. Dealing with my tools will be a lot of work after I go no matter what, and whomever gets to deal with it probably wouldn't notice if I had twice or half as much so I just try to keep what makes me happy.

Ramble off.

Lew Hartswick
09-18-2011, 12:15 PM

Rob
ABSOLUTELY!!!! no gear rack to get chips in it and no batteries to go
dead etc. etc. :-)
...lew...

mike os
09-18-2011, 01:16 PM
sorry?

I am afraid I dont understand the concept.... ;)

macona
09-18-2011, 01:22 PM

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac180/MrSleepy123/Vernier_scale.jpg

Rob

Only if you don't mind starting at 6"

Bob Fisher
09-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Started getting rid of a few things lately. My Granddaughter was recently married and her new hubby seems anxious to do things. No interest in metal yet,but he is only 23. Gave him a router,sabre saw, and sander. All Craftsman by brand.At some point in my life I began buying more professional tools. I especially like Porter Cable and Milwaukee. He really envied my table saw, so I found a really nice 10 in Ridgid on Craigslist for $50 and gave it to him. Way nicer than my first saw, Let him build from there if his interest continues. Bob.

MrSleepy
09-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Only if you don't mind starting at 6"

It must be a Chinese "Friday night special".

The major inch markers read as follows...
0-7-8-9-1-2-3-4-5-nothing-10-11-12..

The guy who sold it to me via ebay is sending me another one and I was told to keep this one.. so all is not lost..I get two for the price of one.

Rob

EddyCurr
09-18-2011, 02:47 PM
... so all is not lost..I get two for the price of one.I will be surprised if you do not receive offers for a tidy profit from folks
looking to have fun at the expense of some unwitting soul.