PDA

View Full Version : I don't worry ! do you re tools?

Alistair Hosie
09-18-2011, 02:58 PM
I was reading a wonderful article about a year ago when an old boy was still actively buying tools, and he simply said when I go I'll let all my family worry about my tools untill then I'll enjoy enjoy.,I take the same attitiude after all my 3 sons are smart enought not to throw anything away and to get best top dollar prices on all my tools and machinery.which I am still amassing:D .I cut down on my medicine a few months back and suffered really badly with pains in my knees etc and was feeling really low.I decided enough was enough as I was virually confined to a chair existence.I decided a few days ago to start taking my medicine on a lower rate rather than not taking any painkillers at all what a difference I feel really a lot better and am enjoying life for the first time in months so that made me think of these things but hey life is great for anold timer 60 like me I love you guys like my Brothers in tools. Alistair

KIMFAB
09-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Yea I have to go cold turkey like that every once in a while.
I try to stay off the painkillers but the achy medicine I take for several months and when it doesn't seem to be doing any good I stop for a week or so.
I can start up again and life is good again for a couple of months.

I went to the machine show in Vegas last week and managed to stay on my feet for an hour and a half. :)

Paid for it for the next three days tho.

rohart
09-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Sorry you're rickety, Alistair.

I was up in Edinburgh last week to deliver daughter to college, and popped over to Broxburn to score a homemade bench press from a guy who advertised on Adam Stevenson's list.

About 200K of bolt up angle iron with a 15T jack on top. Motored back down through the remains of that hurricane. I'm sure I'll find space to set it up somewhere !

More tools to your elbow, and stay well !

Mark McGrath
09-18-2011, 03:47 PM
I was up in Edinburgh last week to deliver daughter to college, and popped over to Broxburn to score a homemade bench press from a guy who advertised on Adam Stevenson's list.
!

Was that from Eddie Martin? He`s some guy,always up to something and no youngster either.

Alistair Hosie
09-18-2011, 05:13 PM
I think I saw that one on Adams site too well done I don't have the room for anything other than a pneumatic which I would not use much anyway nice to hear from you richard and kimfab and mark keep well all you guys :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Alistair

jcon
09-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Sorry to hear about your akes and pains Alistair.

I share your love for tools.

I tuened 80 this year and still go to yard sales flea markets weekly. Thank The Good Lord my health is still good enough to do so!!!!! This week it about broke my hart I had to walk off from a hydrolic press only because I dont have room for it.

I have a daughter that is very savy, so I hope she knows enough to get a good price for what she dosen't keep, when the time comes.

Jim Connell

KEJR
09-18-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm starting to have enough tools now that it would be a pain for anyone to get rid of. I'm hoping when I take an exit from this life that at least one of my sons will be old enough to want Dad's tools. Hopefully I don't ever get to a point where I have to sell that stuff, but you never know.

Glad you are getting back to it Alistair. If it makes you feel any better I am able to get around in my shop just fine but between working on the house and having three little sons the most work I seem to do is organizing and cleaning the shop after they go to bed! It felt good to clean it out tonight and make a mental list of a few projects that will reap rewards like a table cover for my mill to keep chips out of the T slots. I've been using rags and cardboard, but I just scrounged some 1/4" PVC and it would be perfect fit. Time to crack out the saw...

Keep your spirits up, and I hope you continue to feel better.

KEJR

Bill736
09-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Alistair- I'm glad to hear you're feeling somewhat better ! I too have some problems which limit my enthusiasm and activities, but we must do what we can. Onward through it all ! I started working with my dad in his shop when I was 6 years old, 57 years ago. Nowdays, I have most of his hand and power tools in my own shop, and of course I treasure using them . Sadly, my own son has no interest in these tools, and they will not see use by a third generation.
I suppose many of us have faced the same situation, one that is certainly different from what we envisioned years ago. I do hope that when my dad's tools are scattered to the four winds, they are used with care by their new owners. Meanwhile, of course, I still do everything I can to be a good dad. As I say to my kids ( on the rare occasions I see them) " It's my job; it's what I do."

JRouche
09-18-2011, 11:12 PM
Sometimes I think about the tools I have and when I kick the bucket what will happen with them. Im not old, but the thought does come up, then I get real.

My wife cant piece meal the tools off. It would prolly be a come take it for free type thing. And at first it bothered me. I actually started labeling some stuff for its rock bottom value.

Then I was thinking. WTF!! The only value my tools have is MY value. No value to her. Im dead and gone. So what if the stuff gets tossed to the first guy looking.

My wife will have my pension till the day she kicks. Its not about money, well not so much. I have prolly spent 30-40 grand on the "stuff". And yes, some guy might come along and swipe it for free. My only hope is that it will be a young person just getting into the hobby and make his life easier.

I have every machinist tool under the sun. Cept two that Id like to have. A surface grinder and a gear hob :) Next on the list? Nope, no space. But everything else is here. Look at the Obits, might be a treasure for some person :) JR

brozier
09-19-2011, 05:19 AM

Where is Adam Stevenson's list? Is that the Homeworkshop ad site?

Cheers
Bryan

Alistair Hosie
09-19-2011, 09:05 AM
Here it is Brian.kindest regards Alistair

http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/