PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Mill

Tim Clarke
07-14-2001, 07:43 PM
Well, my Phoenix Mill is as done as I can get it until the next installment about the arbor comes along. The D.C. gearmotor worked out well, it eliminates alot of bulk, and runs smoothly. Time will tell if it cuts as good as it looks.

Do you guys think I should submit a article on my drive setup? Having prepared a article before, I can tell you it's a lot of work, and I'm reluctant to go ahead unless there's
some interest.

I'm interested about how the rest of you have
done on yours. It seems there are a few underway, if I remember correctly from a previous post.

Regards, Tim in Oregon

Robert Jones
07-14-2001, 09:24 PM
Tim, I modified the design to fit my needs. All I wanted to do with it is cut slots, so stub milling is ok. I used a different drive set-up, very simple. It works good, quiet and accurate. I'm working on a power feed using a dc gearmotor. Might work. Glad to hear you're making progress. Bobby

Tim Clarke
07-16-2001, 08:25 PM
Bobby; lemme know how the powerfeed works out. I have a small universal gearmotor I scored at a garage sale, and thought that it'd be about right for the Phoenix. The bearing ,or should I say, lack of bearing at the ends of the feed screw would need fixing first. It shouldn't be too hard to make up a new housing for a real bearing. I don't have
any brainstorms about a clutch setup yet. I want to be able to disengage the powerfeed so I can crank the table by hand. Also, I've already added some fittings so I can lube the slides. This should be considered mandatory for a powerfeed addition.

Best wishes, Tim

Robert Jones
07-16-2001, 10:09 PM
Tim, the little gear motor I plan to use is 10rpm. This is too slow, but I have some gears and plan to speed it up with that. If necessary at that time I'll modify the lead screw/bearings. The lube fittings were a good idea; I'll put that on the list, too. Seems like thw list gets longer every day. Let me know how you do with the arbor, Bobby

charlie coghill
07-19-2001, 11:14 PM
Tim
You could use tumble gears,I belive tumble gears is right turm,like the older lathes have. The gears would have a netural built in.

Either the HSM or the MWS had a artical running that used a small Permanit magnetic motor and used tumble gears to get foward and reverse plus netural on the feed screw.

Charlie