PDA

View Full Version : Security Alarm System for my Workshop.

gary350
09-20-2011, 08:34 PM
We have a thief in the neighborhood. He stalks houses during the day and breaks in at night. He has almost been caught several times during the past 9 months. He is a very skinny young black guy about 6" tall with dreadlocks down to his shoulders. I saw him again yesterday standing in the middle of the street looking at the house. I called 911 and the woman told me to call another number. I was trying to find a pencil and the woman had me on hold. I walked outside the guy saw me on the phone and ran. There is a 6 ft all wooded fence at the end of the dead end street the black guy jumped over that fence like it was nothing and he was gone. If I thought that guy would jump that fence again I would put several punji sticks on the other side of the fence.

I put a motion detector light inside the shop. I rewired the light so it turns on several bright lights, a very loud fire alarm buzzer and a school play ground bell. When I leave the shop I turn the security system on. If anyone goes in there the motion detector turns on all the lights, bell and buzzer that should scare the thief away. I bought a night vision camera plug and play to any TV with sound if the alarm goes off when I am asleep the TV next to my bed will wake me up. I can see and hear everything in the shop. Its a $29 camera on sale at Harbor Freight. I also hammered about 100 nails in a 12"x24" board then I attached that board inside both window sills with all the nails pointing up. I sharpened all the nails like an ice picks on the belt sander. A thief will have a hard time crawling across that.

I bought a 4 camera security system off ebay for $140 its a $300 system. I also put up 7 motion detector lights outside around the house and shop.

The neighbor woman has gone totally berzerk over my security cameras she does not light them looking at her so she called the police on me. Police said I have the right to put up cameras so the woman put up 4 large spot lights pointed at my bedroom window she is trying to blind my camera. I think the crazy woman is doing me a favor all that FREE light after dark will surely keep someone from lurking about after night.

The thief has been known to take what he can carry and run. Lap top computers, cash, gold, X-Box small things with high $$$ value.

J.Ramsey
09-20-2011, 08:42 PM
I'd move if I were you, good luck.

J. Randall
09-20-2011, 09:04 PM
Gary, you are a big boy, and you can do what you want, but if I were you I would not publicly post about booby traps, you could end up in serious trouble with the law, even if it is a thief that gets injured.
James

gary350
09-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Gary, you are a big boy, and you can do what you want, but if I were you I would not publicly post about booby traps, you could end up in serious trouble with the law, even if it is a thief that gets injured.
James

TN State Law changed a few years ago. The police said I can do anything I want to the guy except booby traps. A booby trap is a hidden device that is triggered by the thief. 100 nails in the window sill in plain sight is not a booby trap. I won't do punji sticks the wrong person could get in that but I sure would like to do that to the thief.

Pherdie
09-20-2011, 09:40 PM
......guy about 6" tall......

Well, the apparent silver lining here is that there isn't probably a lot this guy can carry off. :D

J. R. Williams
09-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Consider the pointed nails as being a deterrent to stop birds roosting. I would openly carry around a shotgun.

I physically restrained a party that broke into my house and our bastard DA would not prosecute him as he did not take anything and plea bargained out on several other robberies. The next time there will be only my story of the incident.

JRW

huntinguy
09-20-2011, 10:07 PM
I also hammered about 100 nails in a 12"x24" board then I nailed that board inside both window sills with all the nails pointing up. I sharpened all the nails like an ice picks on the belt sander. A thief will have a hard time crawling across that.

Hmm... I wonder what he will do with your, er... I mean his shop when the lawyers get done with the case.

Unless you are using them to hold prints and such. He may well end up owning your shop and your house as well.

Setting traps or entrapment is a no, no. At least in the State I live in.

I see that you answered my post before I hit the post button. I wish the laws here would change like in TN.

Good luck.

bobw53
09-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Does the guy think you are crazy yet???? When we first moved into this shop, we had somebody come over the fence, that was probably just a hobo looking for a place to sleep.

One night when I was here when we first moved here, I had everything shut down, doors closed, lights off, my truck was out back, I was spending the night. Somebody tried coming through the front door. That lasted about 1/2 second until my dogs (who aren't particularly well trained,) went ballistic.

Everybody around here thinks we are bat **** nut crazy. They leave us alone. I'll stay here at the shop overnight, doors open, gate unlocked, and never think twice.

Burglars are cowards. Screw them up, if your doors are open and your lights are on, they aren't going to rob you. Cycle your vehicles in the parking lot and leave it open a lot. A bit of target practice out back, word gets around.

We also support our local "handyman" type people. They tend to know everybody and will keep an eye out for your place and divert bull**** from your place.

I've lost so much stuff to thieves over the past 8 years, I have no tolerance. None.... When I hear thief, I think fertilizer. Shoot, shovel, shutup.

Black_Moons
09-20-2011, 11:31 PM
Do some yardwork... With the biggest machette you can find. :)

Or maybe next time hes prawling around and you got a friend over, Remark loudly how you used to like headshoting running squirrels/rats with your pistol, And how you wish you had some target pratice like that 'out in the city'

flylo
09-20-2011, 11:34 PM
For $29/delv on Ebay you can buy a tiny devise that takes a cell phone card & calls you when it hears a noise & you can hear or you can call it anytime & listen. This way you can call the cops & they catch him red handed in the shop while your outside making sure he doesn't leave or to ID the car etc without anyone getting hurt. We have a law in Michigan that if you feel your life is in danger you can use deadly force if he's armed or not, but if you can solve it without bloodshed or further hassle why not?

Kiwi
09-21-2011, 12:38 AM
Traps are also a big no no here. A faulty power lead left on and on the steel work bench with a bit of scrap resting on the tool box etc from the bench it is just a bit of misfortune had to stop this practice as the work shop is steel and be came live on couple of occasions makes opening the door a bit of a challenge to turn the power off

gary350
09-21-2011, 09:16 AM
For $29/delv on Ebay you can buy a tiny devise that takes a cell phone card & calls you when it hears a noise & you can hear or you can call it anytime & listen. This way you can call the cops & they catch him red handed in the shop while your outside making sure he doesn't leave or to ID the car etc without anyone getting hurt. We have a law in Michigan that if you feel your life is in danger you can use deadly force if he's armed or not, but if you can solve it without bloodshed or further hassle why not?

What is that $29/delv called, do you have a link to that? I would like to check that out I might want to buy one of those.

This is the security camera I bought. It is plug and play to any TV. It has night vision and excellent sound. If I turn the sound up on the TV I can hear people talking 200 ft away. Northern Tool sells these for $39 they are on sale for $29. http://www.ebay.com/itm/380366553130?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This is the 4 camera system I bought. It has night vision too. Northern tool sells these for $300. This system records to a computer hard drive. It records for about a week or so then starts recording over. It continiously records so you just turn it on and don't worry with it. If someone breaks in it will be saved to the hard drive. After I bought this I found a different seller on ebay that listes them for sale $99 each. It has lots of options, split screen with all 4 cameras in view at the same time or you can set it to show each camera full screen for a couple seconds each. If you use a LARGE 40" TV the split screen is great each camera pic is 20" each. http://www.ebay.com/itm/120773676552?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

wb2vsj
09-21-2011, 09:54 AM

This is the 4 camera system I bought. It has night vision too. ...

I got "relieved" of my hand held power tools back in Jan and installed a 8 Camera DVR system like that.

I am thinking of putting a monitor in the garage and a sign that says:

"SMILE - If you can see yourself then this video has already been uploaded to YouTube. Have a nice day A**-wipe"

(or something to that effect :p )

flylo
09-21-2011, 09:55 AM

aboard_epsilon
09-21-2011, 10:04 AM
you want the impossible to remove dna coded luminous dye.

i dont joke ..there is such a thing.

http://www.adi-gardiner.co.uk/Reb%20Web%20Website/featuresandbenefits.html

all the best.markj

Deepest_Valley
09-21-2011, 10:08 AM
I saw these 2 signs at a machine shop a while back.
A BIG shop dog also helps.

Notice
Patrolled By Armed Guard
3 Nights a Week
You Guess Which 3 Nights

Notice
If You Are Found Here Tonight
You Will Be Found By
The Vultures
In The Morning

TGTool
09-21-2011, 11:02 AM
I saw these 2 signs at a machine shop a while back.
A BIG shop dog also helps.

<snip>
Notice
If You Are Found Here Tonight
You Will Be Found By
The Vultures
In The Morning

That must be a modern variation on the "Anyone found hanging around here at night will be found HANGING around here in the morning."

Black_Moons
09-21-2011, 01:08 PM
you want the impossible to remove dna coded luminous dye.

i dont joke ..there is such a thing.

http://www.adi-gardiner.co.uk/Reb%20Web%20Website/featuresandbenefits.html

all the best.markj

I know where you can get liters of the stuff, Free. Its not impossible to remove but it drys on pertty hard. And its DNA coded to the owner. :rolleyes:

flylo
09-21-2011, 03:38 PM
I have signs up saying "Trespassers shot on sight, Survivors shot again. No Trespassing"

madokie
09-21-2011, 04:26 PM
if its an enclosed space you need to secure,(small room)try a burglar bomb, these things emit pepper spray once trip wire is touched and area is violated, no one can stay in area,small units to big ones and a system to cover your entire house.yes here in OK intruder can be shot armed or not, in the back too,an intruder is in the act of comitting a crime, an inside your residence they are a threat to your safety and can be shot on sight, just as long as they are inside your house.you can get camera systems that can feed live to your cell phone anytime, just call it up and look camera by camera.you can even give the cops the number and they can look also, i have read in my newspaper of a few people that live out in the country that have done this,cops have prevented several trailer thefts,and arrested one burglar this way.when your gone out of town your neighbors can watch too,this is after all just outdoor cameras.

radkins
09-21-2011, 05:34 PM
TN State Law changed a few years ago. The police said I can do anything I want to the guy except booby traps. A booby trap is a hidden device that is triggered by the thief. 100 nails in the window sill in plain sight is not a booby trap. I won't do punji sticks the wrong person could get in that but I sure would like to do that to the thief.

Tn law change? :confused: When and what law? I have lived in Tn almost all my life and I know of no such law that was changed allowing traps or any device that intentionally hurts people and I seriously doubt any other state does either, point out the law you are talking about and I will stand corrected. That device with the nails, if it really does exist, is most certainly a trap and no way would it be allowed by Tn law! A "booby trap" in Tn is any device that is for the purpose of causing indiscriminate injury to a person, persons or property. That contraption you described could serve no other purpose and would most assuredly be a booby trap under Tn law, laws that could leave you with serious liabilities for any personal injury it might cause and even possible criminal charges. A device like that would be considered a device that was purposely designed to cause indiscriminate injury and the fact a person being injured MIGHT be breaking the law at the time has little or nothing to do with your liabilities since this device would cause the same personal injuries even if the person was injured while in the act of doing something legal, that thing would not know the difference between a burglar or rescue personal entering during an emergency. If you drive nails in a board and position it so that it's intent is to cause personal injury you WILL be liable for injuries it might cause even if the injured party is breaking the law at the time! I don't know where you got the idea the trap has to be hidden and tripped to be an illegal trap but that makes little sense because it would obviously have to be hidden or otherwise unnoticeable for a person to be injured, do you think the intruder would intentionally injure himself on something that is obvious? The statement that the police said you could do anything you want to the guy is utterly ridiculous, the police do NOT have the authority to give you permission to hurt people! Under Tn law you are not allowed to use deadly force for simple burglary, maybe in the situation you are talking about that threat might exist but not seem so from what you have described so far.

Even warning signs can get a person in trouble, a "beware of dog" sign for instance DOES NOT relieve someone of liability if their dog bits someone else, the courts simply look at the sign as proof the owner is aware the dog bites and has not done enough to restrain him! Without the warning sign the owner can at least deny he knew the dog would bite but if he has that sign displayed he has already admitted he knows of the hazard ahead of time. Same thing with an "Enter at your own risk" sign, the courts do not see that as a fair warning but rather an admission that the property owner is aware of a hazard he is allowing to exist!

Black_Moons
09-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Same thing with an "Enter at your own risk" sign, the courts do not see that as a fair warning but rather an admission that the property owner is aware of a hazard he is allowing to exist!

Solution? Put up a "Its safe..." Sign.. Writen in blood. :)

radkins
09-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Solution? Put up a "Its safe..." Sign.. Writen in blood. :)

Yep that might just do it! :D

I know it's frustrating sometimes but the laws apply to everyone including those who are breaking other laws. Liability laws might not seem fair sometimes but the simple fact is a person can not just simply use a sign to shuck his responsibility for a hazardous situation he has caused. There was a situation near here (in Tn!) a couple of years ago where a lawsuit was brought against the state after an auto accident occurred at an intersection that had warning signs up that said simply "Dangerous intersection". Both drivers were awarded damages from the state because the court ruled the signs to be proof that the state knew of the danger but did nothing to correct it! Another one in the community I live in was when a private farm owner was sued by a hunter (who was technically trespassing) after he was attacked by one of the owner's cattle dogs, the farmer had signs attached to his fences warning of the danger but he was held liable anyway. Still anther one happened here about two months ago when a judge ruled in favor of a driver after his car was damaged by debris falling from a truck, the truck had two signs-one warned that they were not responsible for broken windshields and another warned to stay back 100 feet. The judge said that the signs in no way relieved the trucking company of liabilities or gave them the right to spill contents on the highways and the signs simply were proof that they were aware this was likely to happen!

gary350
09-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Tn law change? :confused: When and what law? I have lived in Tn almost all my life and I know of no such law that was changed allowing traps or any device that intentionally hurts people and I seriously doubt any other state does either, point out the law you are talking about and I will stand corrected. That device with the nails, if it really does exist, is most certainly a trap and no way would it be allowed by Tn law! A "booby trap" in Tn is any device that is for the purpose of causing indiscriminate injury to a person, persons or property. That contraption you described could serve no other purpose and would most assuredly be a booby trap under Tn law, laws that could leave you with serious liabilities for any personal injury it might cause and even possible criminal charges. A device like that would be considered a device that was purposely designed to cause indiscriminate injury and the fact a person being injured MIGHT be breaking the law at the time has little or nothing to do with your liabilities since this device would cause the same personal injuries even if the person was injured while in the act of doing something legal, that thing would not know the difference between a burglar or rescue personal entering during an emergency. If you drive nails in a board and position it so that it's intent is to cause personal injury you WILL be liable for injuries it might cause even if the injured party is breaking the law at the time! I don't know where you got the idea the trap has to be hidden and tripped to be an illegal trap but that makes little sense because it would obviously have to be hidden or otherwise unnoticeable for a person to be injured, do you think the intruder would intentionally injure himself on something that is obvious? The statement that the police said you could do anything you want to the guy is utterly ridiculous, the police do NOT have the authority to give you permission to hurt people! Under Tn law you are not allowed to use deadly force for simple burglary, maybe in the situation you are talking about that threat might exist but not seem so from what you have described so far.

Even warning signs can get a person in trouble, a "beware of dog" sign for instance DOES NOT relieve someone of liability if their dog bits someone else, the courts simply look at the sign as proof the owner is aware the dog bites and has not done enough to restrain him! Without the warning sign the owner can at least deny he knew the dog would bite but if he has that sign displayed he has already admitted he knows of the hazard ahead of time. Same thing with an "Enter at your own risk" sign, the courts do not see that as a fair warning but rather an admission that the property owner is aware of a hazard he is allowing to exist!

READ again. Like I said the first time, there are NO booby traps. What part of that do you not understand?

radkins
09-21-2011, 08:03 PM
You have an unattended board with nails in it placed with the intention of harming someone if they try breaking in? What part of booby trap do YOU not understand? A device, any kind of device whether it is in view or not, is a trap if it's intended purpose is to inflict injury on an unsuspecting victim. If the person is harmed by such a device he obviously was not aware of it so what the dickens do you think the definition of hidden is? The device you describe is a quite apparently a trap and you most certainly would be guilty of causing an injury by negligence at best if someone is injured by it, at worst you could be held criminally negligent for intentionally and indiscriminately causing an injury to another person. Now about that law that was supposedly changed, please point out what law you are referring to because I have been looking and can't find anything on it. Not saying it's not true but if it is no one seems to have heard anything about such a change.

Mad Scientist
09-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Isn't it interesting how someone breaking the law seems to be afforded more rights then a law-biding person who is trying to protect his property?

gary350
09-21-2011, 09:53 PM
You have an unattended board with nails in it placed with the intention of harming someone if they try breaking in? What part of booby trap do YOU not understand? A device, any kind of device whether it is in view or not, is a trap if it's intended purpose is to inflict injury on an unsuspecting victim. If the person is harmed by such a device he obviously was not aware of it so what the dickens do you think the definition of hidden is? The device you describe is a quite apparently a trap and you most certainly would be guilty of causing an injury by negligence at best if someone is injured by it, at worst you could be held criminally negligent for intentionally and indiscriminately causing an injury to another person. Now about that law that was supposedly changed, please point out what law you are referring to because I have been looking and can't find anything on it. Not saying it's not true but if it is no one seems to have heard anything about such a change.

The police said, a booby trap is a hidden device, the KEY word is hidden. The board with nails is not hidden. Second a booby trap is usually triggered by the thief. Board with nail is in plain sight it is not hidden and it is not triggered by the thief.

If I put that board with nail in the bottom of a hole then cover the hole so a thief can not see it and he falls in then it is a booby trap. That are the words right out of the police mans mouth.

Bmyers
09-21-2011, 10:03 PM
The police said, a booby trap is a hidden device, the KEY word is hidden. The board with nails is not hidden. Second a booby trap is usually triggered by the thief. Board with nail is in plain sight it is not hidden and it is not triggered by the thief.

If I put that board with nail in the bottom of a hole then cover the hole so a thief can not see it and he falls in then it is a booby trap. That are the words right out of the police mans mouth.

But, would Mr. policeman put that in writing ?

mochinist
09-21-2011, 10:16 PM

If I put that board with nail in the bottom of a hole then cover the hole so a thief can not see it and he falls in then it is a booby trap. That are the words right out of the police mans mouth.I wouldn't trust my freedom with what a police officer said, no offense to any that may be on here. Its their job to enforce the law, not interpret it.

Richard86
09-21-2011, 10:31 PM
All of this talk of booby traps and liability got me thinking. I have no booby traps, but what if some clumsy thief happens into my overly cluttered shop and the 1 inch thick plate precariously leaning against my forklift waiting for tomorrows project gets bumped into and flattens the poor fella. Am I liable for his crooked clumsiness?

firbikrhd1
09-21-2011, 11:03 PM
I suggest a few quiet nights spent in your darkened shop with a shotgun. If the thief is that active in your area and you make your shop appear appealing he may just make an unauthorized visit when he expects you not to be there. A 12 gauge used because you were in fear of your life is certain to prevent further threats by this particular thief.

spirit20
09-21-2011, 11:14 PM
We all would like to interpret the law as we think it should be but..... The police have no idea how the district attorney is going to look at a problem. I would ask the DA these questions. Remember also that things change especially if it is an election year. In Michigan their are several times you can use deadly force or great force, but that does not matter if the DA decides to prosecute you. It will cost you a LOTTTTTTTT of money to defend yourself win or lose you lose. Anyone can tell you anything but are they the ones who will be paying for the rest of their life or going to jail. It is not my intention to get anyone angry but to think first. The term trap can be interpreted in many ways whether in TN, MI, or any place else. Cameras, lights, & noise, are better than nails. I would also not go around threatening anyone it may come back & bite you in the A--. PS I bet you can get sued if a sheet of something falls on a bad guy & hurts or kills him (or her do not want to not be PC). Just remember is being in a 6X8 room or cardboard box OK to prove you thought you were right>

Sign at local auto parts store:
Your wife is hot

Fix your AC

:cool:

radkins
09-21-2011, 11:46 PM
The police said, a booby trap is a hidden device, the KEY word is hidden. The board with nails is not hidden.

So if someone is hurt on that thing they must have seen it but just decided to hurt themselves anyway? :rolleyes: It makes no difference at all if it is covered or not, if it is intentionally placed to indiscriminately hurt someone (indiscriminately, like emergency personal maybe?) you would be held liable even if the person was breaking in illegally. This has been tested in court many times and if you think that thing would not be considered a trap you would be in for a big surprise! How would you explain how the person was harmed if the device was in plain view? Come on THINK, if it was not hidden and obviously in plain view then no one would be injured in the first place.

I think maybe the law you are referring to is the Castle law which Tn does indeed have, this allows the use of deadly force to protect one's self where ever he/she is as long as he/she is legally occupying that place, is that the law you are thinking of? That law gives you the right to defend yourself but not to place traps or other devices that can indiscriminately cause another person physical injury, that law is for cases of self defense and it does NOT give you the right to "do anything you want to do" to a burglar!

radkins
09-22-2011, 12:02 AM
PS I bet you can get sued if a sheet of something falls on a bad guy & hurts or kills him (or her do not want to not be PC). Just remember is being in a 6X8 room or cardboard box OK to prove you thought you were right>:cool:

Good point, and an example would be one I read about a few years ago where a guy caught two scumbags stealing his wheels. The owner tried to scare them off by shooting into the ground but the bullet ricocheted off something hard on the ground and hit one of the thieves in the ankle. The owner was being sued for several thousand dollars in damages due to his "negligent" act! Stupid? IMO yes, he should have been congratulated for at least winging the creep but unfortunately the law does not look at it that way. For sure setting a trap such as that board with the nails in it is a real no-no in any state and for a damn good reason! That board can't tell the deference between a thief and a fireman and besides how can a person reasonably claim self defense (the only time inflecting bodily injury is permissible) if the injury is from an unattended device?

gregl
09-22-2011, 12:27 AM
The police said....

Yes, but they are not the ones who will charge you, try you, and pass judgment on your guilt. The person I would consult regarding the law would be a defense attorney.

Iraiam
09-22-2011, 01:00 AM
Is this guy crazy? He watches the house in the day and breaks in at night? That's a good way to get shot by a homeowner.

As someone who fired at a home intruder after confronting him in my living room, he then ran off. I would say do your best to deter the thief beforehand. In my case when the police showed up, they treated me like the criminal, which I immediately perceived, so I simply stated "I defended myself", and I admitted that I fired one shot which lodged in a door frame (it was dark). I refused to answer any more of their questions, which they did not like (too bad). No charges were filed against me.

ftl
09-22-2011, 01:04 AM
But what is the difference between a board with nails on a windowsill that makes it difficult to enter without injury, and a barbed wire fence surrounding the property that makes it difficult to enter without injury?

Both are visible and both have intentional sharp points to cause injury.

gregl
09-22-2011, 01:09 AM
[snip]

I refused to answer any more of their questions, which they did not like (too bad). No charges were filed against me.

A wise move. Earlier this year I watched a youtube vid. of a lecture to law students by a defense attorney. Too much to repeat here but in essence, he said that even if you are totally innocent, do not talk without your attorney present. Police have been known to get things wrong or misunderstand or misinterpret what you say. Once you've said it, you can't take it back.

Iraiam
09-22-2011, 01:19 AM
A wise move. Earlier this year I watched a youtube vid. of a lecture to law students by a defense attorney. Too much to repeat here but in essence, he said that even if you are totally innocent, do not talk without your attorney present. Police have been known to get things wrong or misunderstand or misinterpret what you say. Once you've said it, you can't take it back.

I'll take that a step further, DO NOT TALK TO THEM. Even with an attorney present, ANYTHING you say can be used to crucify you. Any defense attorney that advises his/her client to answer any questioning by the police should be fired immediately.

H8Allegheny
09-22-2011, 08:11 AM
I'll take that a step further, DO NOT TALK TO THEM. Even with an attorney present, ANYTHING you say can be used to crucify you. Any defense attorney that advises his/her client to answer any questioning by the police should be fired immediately.

I would have to strongly second that.

While I've never been in trouble with the law, a good friend's older son was in an unbelievable situation about 7 years ago. His roommate was arrested for killing, barbecuing and eating a mutual acquaintance. I am not making this up - the guy is now doing life in upstate NY.

Anyway, the police turned to the roommate early on and naturally wanted to talk to my friend's son. Well, my friend has been around the block a few times himself, so he hired one of the most savvy defense attorneys he could find (at something like $400 and hour). His instructions were to say absolutely nothing to the detectives that were virtually beating down his door. The direct quote was something like to breath through his clenched teeth so he wouldn't even open his mouth.

While I had never thought about it, the attorney made the point that there are other concerns beyond criminal liability. Let's say he had made a comment about his roommate being "odd" or that he had considered him capable of doing such a horrendous act two years prior to the murder in response to a question. That statement, duly recorded by the police, could be the basis of a massive lawsuit by the victim's family.

Scary s^$%.

Brian
Taxachusetts

gary350
09-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Your right. Last week I called city code about putting a storage building out back for lawn mowers and bicycles. The rules are if it is 120 sq ft or less no permit is required. I wanted a 12 x 20 building. Rules are I can build 2 building 120 sq ft each and no permit is required. OK so I got to thinking it would be nice to have a building on wheels if I move I don't have to pay someone to move it for me. Then I found a 8'x26' job site trailer $800 cheap with heat and AC. Code said I could have the trailer it is not a perment structure so no permit is required. After parking the trailer on the back of my property I get a notice from code that I need to get a permit to have that trailer parked there. What one person says it not always correct. I should have gotten it is writing.

My thoughts about the nails in the board is not intended to be a booby trap it is intended to make the thief realize he can not crawl through this window without getting hurt so he will go away. If I put lights on the board to make the nails easy to see in the dark will that help keep thieves out. But like you said the decision is totally up to the DA. TN law says if you think your life is in danger you can do anything to defend yourself. If I defend myself with a chainsaw and cut the thievs arms off what will the DA think about that.

gregl
09-22-2011, 12:32 PM

What one person says it not always correct. I should have gotten it is writing.

Having worked for the govmint for 30 years, one thing I learned is that folks will sometimes make things up on the fly. If someone says, "Well, that's policy," ask to see a copy of the policy. More than once I discovered that there really is no written policy. While sometimes it is a legitimate misunderstanding, I have found other times where it was deliberate. In regard to your trailer, I'm sure you can do a little research on the code and get the real answer. Copy machines thus become your friend.

Black_Moons
09-22-2011, 01:06 PM
My thoughts about the nails in the board is not intended to be a booby trap it is intended to make the thief realize he can not crawl through this window without getting hurt so he will go away. .

Try BARS. across the window.. or even just 2x2's. Yea looks ulgy but sigh, this is what we have come to. I put some in my shop after I found some scumbag on my property apon comming home, and finding fresh footprints outside my garage window.

And diffuser plastic that they use for those 2x4' fluro lamp fixtures. Lets the light through, keeps the criminals eyes out.

Combined, all they see is very dark intimindating shadows through the window. The last thing they wanna see. Reminds em of jail. :P

radkins
09-22-2011, 01:21 PM
There was a discount store here a couple of years ago that had a sign behind the counter that said "Only two cold medicine sales per customer BY ORDER OF POLICE DEPT"! :rolleyes: This was because locals were using the stuff to make illegal drugs and while limiting the sales may have been a good idea the fact is that sign was absolute nonsense because the police dept does NOT have the authority to make rules! Just because a policeman says something does not make it any more fact than coming from anyone else, the police have only the authority to enforce laws and ordinances that have been passed by elected officials and the police dept has no authority to make or pass ANY rules or laws such as that nonsense on that sign. Don't misunderstand, I am all for law enforcement but something like that sign in the store is an insult and the police have no right to do or say anything except for enforcing laws passed by elected lawmakers.

EddyCurr
09-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Earlier this year I watched a youtube vid. of a lecture
to law students by a defense attorney.Half of the presentation was conducted by Professor James Duane of
Regent University School of Law (a former criminal defense attorney). The
other half was put forth by officer George Bruch of the Virginia Beach PD.

Settle in with a beverage - runtime is 49 min.

Don't Talk to Police (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc) March 14, 2008

4GSR
09-22-2011, 04:36 PM
If I defend myself with a chainsaw and cut the thievs arms off what will the DA think about that.

Another Texas chainsaw massicur?:p

bobw53
09-22-2011, 05:22 PM
I think if you kill somebody with a chainsaw, that makes you an axe murderer. Lizzy Borden style, she would have used a chainsaw if they had internal combustion motors back then.

One bit of our security system is the guy that lives across the street, older guy, an American Indian (he must think I'm an illegal). He knows everybody here, does odd jobs, waters trees, weeds, spreads gravel. We give him our cans and the occasional odd piece of scrap. Hire him to do the odd job occasionally, pay him well.

He keeps an eye out, kind of nice. Good neighbors are handy.

Bill736
09-24-2011, 12:30 AM
All you really need is a photo eye that sends an infared beam across your shop, and bounces it back to the head unit with a reflector. If anything breaks the beam, the head unit closes/opens a set of contacts. The head unit can then be used to set off alarms, lights, small thermonuclear devices, etc. I've used some from Radio Shack for years.
Once a thief knows you have an alarm, he probably won't be back.

BigBoy1
09-24-2011, 08:15 AM
Isn't it interesting how someone breaking the law seems to be afforded more rights then a law-biding person who is trying to protect his property?

To me, it would make perfect sense to have a law which says the when some decides to go "out side of the laws" or become an out-law, they automatically forfit any rights that had while under the law. Once they chose to be an out-law, the laws no longer applied to them and they have lost any rights they had. The decision is theirs to make - adibe by the laws or have no rights.

loose nut
09-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Your thinking about old English law (very old) were a person could be declared "outlaw" and then could be killed on site by anyone.

You had to be declared an "outlaw" before it took affect not just because you broke then law.

loose nut
09-24-2011, 09:30 AM
TN law says if you think your life is in danger you can do anything to defend yourself. If I defend myself with a chainsaw and cut the thievs arms off what will the DA think about that.

A few years back and I don't remember were it was a man was lost and a bit hysterical and he went to a door of a house for help. He couldn't speak English very well and the homeowner though he was a crazy person and was a danger.

Bang Bang he's dead.

Now what. The man thought he was in danger and another innocent man is dead. If it was in Tennessee does that make it all right.

gary350
09-24-2011, 11:34 AM
I thought of a funny idea for a security system that would work great. Mount a flat belt conveyor in the 24" window. Conveyor needs to be 24" x 24" designed to move about 15 ft per second. When someone crawls through the window it triggers the ON switch and the conveyor launched the thief out the window then it turns OFF. If the thief keeps trying to get in again the conveyor keeps launching him OUT. LOL

Same thing at the door entrance a flat belt conveyor about 15 ft long moving at 30 ft per second. No one could run fast enough to run across that conveyor it would launch their legs out from under them and they would slam face down onto the converyor then be launched out the door into the parking lot. LOL.

Those guys from the JACK ASS show need to do this and get it on video. LOL.

Luke55
09-24-2011, 12:45 PM
My storage shed had 3/4 in. bars for the windows and auxiliary doors. The main door is heavily spring loaded. You need a key to go in and out. The backing of the door is an 1/8 plate, with welded tubing to protect the keylock.

radkins
09-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Gary I know you are trying to be humorous here and that is a comical thought, the really funny part is that some of those igits would try several times before giving up! On a more serious note, ANY type of unattended device that could cause indiscriminate bodily harm is considered a booby trap and would incur liabilities in case of injury no matter if the person is entering illegally or not, it does not have to be covered up or triggered as long as the intent is to cause harm. The odd part is there is no law forbidding you to do something like that nails-in-the-board window guard UNTIL someone is injured then it's your arse that's in the wringer. Don't believe me? Ask an attorney. As far as that chain saw scenario that would depend entirely on the DA's interpretation of what happened and whether or not you were defending yourself or taking revenge, no situation that involves deadly force is spelled out in black and white about what you can and can't do, basically you can do whatever you need to protect yourself but if the circumstances are that you went farther and took revenge then you could be in a world of hurt! Tn laws absolutely do not say you can do anything you want to someone, the Castle law gives you the right to defend yourself in any place you are legally occupying, it does not give you the right to do anything you want to someone. There is a big difference between self defense and "getting even" and while a macho attitude may make us feel better it can land a person in a lot of trouble with the law if we aren't careful.