PDA

View Full Version : Laser Cutting Questions!

Grind Hard
09-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Ok this is outside of the home-shop but I figure someone here might know a thing or two. There is that other site out there... but after being a member there for a bit I have found them to be a bit... imPractical for this Machinist. ;)

They are training me as an alternate to run the laser as needed at night and during days as the operator needs time off. Ran a laser YEARS ago as an operator... it was strictly load-unload. This time they are teaching me "other duties as required."

The senior operator was telling me that the ULTRA SHINY parts they cut two days ago caused such severe bounce-back that the housing for the lens/gas-get was warped. He was in the process of repairing it.

I recall back in my Operator Monkey days long ago... a spray coating that we would coat the glossy parts with... then we simply wiped it off with alcohol.

I recall the can saying it was specific for this application... a gloss reduction spray for laser cutting applications.

Half hour of searching with Google has landed me some valuable information on Lasers... Laser Makers, Tip Suppliers and other vendors but nothing regarding this spray. Combinations of Laser Spray Anti-Reflect result in some PDFs on laser physics that while no doubt are fascinating they do not help me. :D

macona
09-21-2011, 07:01 PM
What color was the stuff? If it was black is might have been something like Aquadag or aerodag. It is fine carbon in suspension in a alcohol or other solution. Dries and leaves a fine layer of carbon.

But really, it is not the top surface that is causing the problem, but the material itself. Some materials are very difficult to laser cut as the pool that is formed during the cut is reflective. Also it may be a case of using the wrong kind of laser for the job, YAG vs CO2.

Hogridnfool
09-21-2011, 07:06 PM
http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/let-there-be-lights. At the end of the article they make mention of how they overcame the need for using dulling spray when Laser cutting highly reflective materials. I wonder if the dulling spray that the photographic industry uses to control highlights would work for you.

John Stevenson
09-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Neat windowlene works well, the purple stuff you wipe on windows, let it dry white and polish it off.

Do the same on the material to prevent reflection.

Grind Hard
09-21-2011, 08:44 PM
What color was the stuff? If it was black is might have been something like Aquadag or aerodag. It is fine carbon in suspension in a alcohol or other solution. Dries and leaves a fine layer of carbon.

But really, it is not the top surface that is causing the problem, but the material itself. Some materials are very difficult to laser cut as the pool that is formed during the cut is reflective. Also it may be a case of using the wrong kind of laser for the job, YAG vs CO2.

Ok thanks for that information. I looked up Aquadag and forwarded the infor to my boss.