PDA

View Full Version : OT: Copying Photobucket Links In Firefox

Paul Alciatore
09-21-2011, 06:21 PM
I have finally started using the Firefox browser and really like it. But I have just encountered a problem. When I attempted to copy a link to a photo on Photobucket to incorporate into a post here, I could not do so. I looked at as many settings as I could find but none seemed to be responsible for this lack of functionality. Is this normal for Firefox, or is there a setting or trick that I am not aware of? I am using Windows 7 if that is a factor. Any suggestions?

aboard_epsilon
09-21-2011, 06:32 PM
think you need java quick starter 1

go to tools and add-ons ..and there is a thing there somewhere to add more add-ons

the youtube downloader is quite good while you are there.

made a mistake thee

you need a plug-in available on the same menu

shockwave 10,3,183,7

think it comes with adobe flash player 10,3,183,7

choose from the list "get add-ons"

all the best.markj

J Tiers
09-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Photobucket has made it a lot harder to link.... lots of clicky-click and windows opening now, when it used to be pretty easy.

But if you hover on teh picture, and select "SHARE" on the blue header, a window opens with a "get link code" tab.

Select that, and find "IMG for BBS". On eitehr full size or thumbnail , Click once at left, then drag across it to copy it with right click..

Go to the BBS, right click and paste into the text. Done.

yeah, you might need to update Java and maybe something else.

lakeside53
09-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Photobucket harder to link? one click... Hover over album thumbnail (don't even open it), box drops down, click on (for example) "img", and it says "copied". At least it does in IE9...

J Tiers
09-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Harder to link? one click... Hover over album thumbnail (don't even open it), box drops down, click on (for example) "img", and it says "copied". At least it does in IE9...

Does not work for me..... FF 3.0.19 + all the &^%$# updates adobe and Java wanted (some of which I would like to un-do).

Just sits there if I do as you suggest...... I have to use the "long form".

lakeside53
09-21-2011, 10:01 PM
My tolerance for stuff like that is zero. Plently of browers to choose.

Paul Alciatore
09-21-2011, 10:02 PM
I forgot to say that I could easily copy the link via IE in the same way that I have done it for years now. The only problem is in Firefox.

Arcane
09-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Photobucket harder to link? one click... Hover over album thumbnail (don't even open it), box drops down, click on (for example) "img", and it says "copied". At least it does in IE9...
I'm using Firefox and that's exactly how it works for me too.

lakeside53
09-21-2011, 10:11 PM
As best I can tell from threads of woe, none of Jerry's computers like him:D

J Tiers
09-21-2011, 10:37 PM
As best I can tell from threads of woe, none of Jerry's computers like him:D

Nah..... I have very rare real problems with comps...... I have had computers since before there was such a thing as an IBM PC anywhere, and I have never had to take a computer to anyone for service or software problems (not counting at work, where the IT folks were the only authorized "fixers")

Most of the troubles have been with deeds of other family members..... that I am the one to find out about...... and need to fix

The big BSOD problem I finally found out was apparently due to someone yanking a thumb drive at just the wrong time during shutdown..... They were afraid to leave it in place when the comp shut down....:rolleyes:

I have seen temporary BSOD episodes on Dell laptops if the power supply is plugged-in at just the wrong time at startup..... OK the next try, though.

As for PB.....My version of FF is older, the Mozilla upgrade bots have been nagging me to upgrade for months.

Probably if I did, the direct link would work as it used to do.

I blame PHOTOBUCKET, and not FF, though....... The "hover-link" system USED TO work..... then Photobucket "upgraded" their site, and several things instantly stopped working...... with SAME FF version that had previously worked fine.....

MrSleepy
09-22-2011, 03:56 AM
+1 ....I use FF latest version with adblock and noscript ...and no java addons.

Rob

Harvey Melvin Richards
09-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Chrome, get it and don't look back.

lakeside53
09-22-2011, 12:36 PM
I blame PHOTOBUCKET, and not FF, though....... The "hover-link" system USED TO work..... then Photobucket "upgraded" their site, and several things instantly stopped working...... with SAME FF version that had previously worked fine.....

lol... Everyone is to "blame".

I have, over decades, buckets of old programs that won't works on later OS or browsers. They likely worked before because they were "loose" about the rules and security, or the "rules" changed because of security concerns. I don't find it unreasonable to upgrade a free program to a later version. Come on Jerry, life's a gamble; hit the upgrade button. ;)

gbritnell
09-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Opened up Photobucket, picked an album, hovered over the picture, got 4 picture options on the drop down, selected the image link, clicked on it, copied popped up, and pasted it here. All with Firefox with no add-ons.
gbritnell
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/gbritnell/HOLT%20GAS%20TANK/Holtfuelsystem2.jpg

J Tiers
09-22-2011, 11:03 PM
Come on Jerry, life's a gamble; hit the upgrade button. ;)

Yah... I did that for Flash..... now I have 2 "un-turn-offable" pop-ups every time I play a youtube video, or any OTHER one.....

I will get around to it when I have enough time to deal with whatever crasy stuff they ahve done to make it "easier"..... I KNOW about that "easier" deal ;) :D

rohart
09-23-2011, 05:11 AM
Those Firefox updates keep trying to happen.

I've renamed all the update urls in about:config by adding Fred... to them, but they still try updating. The update process fails though. It's currently trying to give me 3.6.22. There's always a little action circle 'downloading' in the Help menu.

I will NOT have them do sometime I don't want. I've had to Task Manager Firefox out during an install, and reinstall an old version before now. It's not worth watching your system get worse.

The only downside is all those developers out there revising their code to use the latest gadgets, so standard functionality becomes dependent on the latest versions of things.

I'm sure that's behind the recent Google refusal to find the right place in the display when you go back to it after selecting an entry.

On the original topic, i use my ISP's webspace to put my images, so I copy the hardcode into my BBS text anyway.

bjmh46
09-23-2011, 06:59 AM
Jerry,

It works for me with FF 3.6.22. I just hover, left click the image code, "copied" pops up, paste here:

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu208/bjmh46/PDR_0587Medium.jpg

I had troubles with FF4 and 5, so am using the latest 3 version, which you can still get, and they are still updating which tells me lot's of others still prefer 3.

Best regards

Bob

Paul Alciatore
09-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Hummm. Not too many suggestions after my second post, just it works or doesn't work for me. Since it works for some, it is probably not a missing add-on. Probably a setting somewhere.

Thanks to all for the responses.

aboard_epsilon
09-25-2011, 04:10 PM
mine is screwed up altogether now in firefox ..

the pages are like the archives of this forum when found on google

all the best.markj