PDA

View Full Version : Floppy Drive to USB replacements...

Grind Hard
09-22-2011, 05:11 AM
Ok another question for work. THIS one also applies to my home-shop as I have a CNC-lathe that could benefit from this as well.

We have a Strippit turret press and a Strippit brake that both take floppy drives. Floppies are getting hard to find as are replacement disk-drives.

I know they sell modules that plug in and the machine controller reads the USB drive as a ginormous floppy disk... Question is I'm seeing eight or nine versions of the same thing all slightly or substantially different from each other. Some range from $19.95 while others are $995.

Anyone use these before and if so which model did you use? How is it holding up in your environment? Ease of install?

japcas
09-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Check out this thread. I believe it worked out well for him. Hope this helps.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=45076&highlight=USB+Floppy

John Stevenson
09-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Yes mine is still working fine, no problems other than you need a stick in when booting up or if doesn't see the drive and fails to boot.

I have got round this by fastening a blank stick, formatted to 1.44meg onto the machine so it's always got a stick handy.

I bought the cheaper single channel one as I didn't know how a DOS program could deal with the 100 block units on sale plus this single channel is plenty big enough given the average file is 3 to 5K long.