X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P.A.R.
    • Sep 2011

Full Length Internal Tube Threading

I have a tube 11.5x1.25x.065 wall Ti 3Al-2.5V I need to put a 28 tpi end to end.
    My thoughts are mount it on my lathe and use a boring bar between centers to cut it.
    I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink.
    William Halsey

As a Machinist & Gunsmith I like to hear how to not can't do. P.A.R.
  • TGTool
    • Aug 2005

I've used something like that and it can work. Plan for a way to either measure the amount of advancement of the tool with each resetting, or some way to advance it with precision. This is one approach from an article in Model Engineers' Workshop. Two different bars so parts don't match but the basics are the same.

"People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

• P.A.R.
      • Sep 2011

Design of tool feed was next thanks.I was thinking of using a 15%cobalt HSS with flood coolant.Thanks
      William Halsey

Comment

• franco
        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by P.A.R.
        Design of tool feed was next thanks.I was thinking of using a 15%cobalt HSS with flood coolant.Thanks
        An interesting and easy-to-set-up way to feed a between centers boring bar using a boring head in the headstock spindle is mentioned in post #4 here:

In an e-mail to Anorak Bob discussing the building of the small lathe-mounted slotter shown here: http://www.woodworkforums.com/attach...y-cutter-3.jp

I have not yet tried it myself, but cannot see why it would not work for boring if there is not a lot of material to remove. For cutting a thread the disadvantage would be that the angle at which the tool is presented to the work will change very slightly slightly with each cut, but this would probably not matter with a thread as fine as 28 TPI unless great precision is required. If the tool is in the center of the boring bar it should advance by about half the reading on the boring head for each cut.

franco
        Last edited by franco; 09-23-2011, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• P.A.R.
          • Sep 2011

No super precision its a suppressor tube "Legal" I'm glad I have found this sight Being a Machinist and Gunsmith I like to hear how to not cant do.
          William Halsey

Comment

• DICKEYBIRD
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by franco
            An interesting and easy-to-set-up way to feed a between centers boring bar using a boring head in the headstock spindle is mentioned in post #4 here:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/us...ng-bar-129635/
            Here's a link to a thread on this forum where I did a similar process. It worked great! I've been itching to use it again but the opportunity hasn't presented itself yet.
            Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Working...
            X