PDA

View Full Version : Southbend Owners

Chris S.
09-25-2011, 11:16 PM
I've read that near the end SB was out sourcing from Taiwan. If true when was the last one made in the US? According this seller this Heavy10 was made in 1988. That may seem old to some folks but to an old dog 1988 was yesterday.

Chris

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CREAM-PUFF-HEAVY-10-SOUTH-BEND-LATHE-HARD-WAYS-/290607258172?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a98ada3c

Bill736
09-26-2011, 12:02 AM
I wasn't able to find that serial number in the South Bend data I have, although the catalog number does seem to be a heavy 10 inch lathe. The serial numbers for 1980s heavy 10 lathes should start with 22, and not 02. I do wonder, also, if the 2 1/4 inch threaded spindle was still available in the late model lathes from the 1980s, since threaded spindles were more common on lathes built before around 1970. Perhaps they could be special ordered, but other spindle types were standard in late model lathes. It does have the later flame hardened ways, and a later model base cabinet. It's not clear just what the seller has done to the lathe, but that's a pretty hefty price if the lathe has just been repainted. For that money, the owner should have gone through the machine and rebuilt and replaced everything worn . The number and condition of the accessories also plays a big part in the value. There does seem to be a good assortment of accessories. With these machines, condition is everything . A worn " clunker" can sell for $500 . One in very nice mechanical condition could indeed be worth over $5,000, with accessories.

Chris S.
09-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Snip:

I do wonder, also, if the 2 1/4 inch threaded spindle was still available in the late model lathes from the 1980s, since threaded spindles were more common on lathes built before around 1970. It does have the later flame hardened ways, and a later model base cabinet.

My Heavy10 includes all of the above but I believe Paula told me that it was made in 1966 but not sure exactly. She sent me the information over 12 years ago when Leblond was still supplying old stock. My serial number is...
416 13362RKX16

Do your records show anything for mine?

Thanks,
Chris

Bill736
09-26-2011, 11:52 PM
Your serial number of 13362RKX16 seems to make it a 1963 model. The X in the serial number designates a special order feature of some sort. As for the lathe on eBay , I did find references to heavy 10 lathes in 1981 being available with either the threaded spindle or the cam lock spindle. I can't find much information on South Bend heavy 10s in 1988 , but I doubt that any of the foreign made South Bends in the late 1980s had threaded spindles. I believe the one on eBay is US made.

wooleybooger
09-27-2011, 12:43 AM
does anyone know of the swwells or wswells site? not sure if its .com,.org,or .net but it has a lot of info on SB lathes. lots of photos and specs there. only looked at it a few times when i was considering an SB but i was impressed.

Chris S.
09-27-2011, 10:23 AM
does anyone know of the swwells or wswells site? not sure if its .com,.org,or .net but it has a lot of info on SB lathes. lots of photos and specs there. only looked at it a few times when i was considering an SB but i was impressed.

Yes, I just purchased Steve's Heavy10 rebuild kit which includes his excellent manual. I discovered that the manual contains the links you mention but I didn't know this until after I started this thread.

The photos of disassembly are exceptional as well as the text. It's nice to be able to see inside the machine before you take it apart. Highly recommended!

Chris

Chris S.
09-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Your serial number of 13362RKX16 seems to make it a 1963 model. The X in the serial number designates a special order feature of some sort.

Ah, my old brain couldn't remember the exact date. Thanks for refreshing my memory. My SB is a tool room model with flame hardened ways, taper attachment and wide range double tumblers.

Thanks,
Chris

Tanto
09-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Can't help with the date, but given there's an Emco, as new condition, being sold on PM for $3500, I'll give ToolKing top marks for ambition. It sure seems a lot for what looks to be a crap paint job to me, and the 4 jaw dumped on the ways probably says more about the standard of the "clean and paint" job than anything else. Still, there is a sucker born every minute so I guess somebody will eventually buy it.

SGW
09-27-2011, 07:17 PM
The X means flame-hardened ways.

When I bought my made-in-USA South Bend in 1978, I had a brief exchange of mail with a SB employee who was traveling to Korea to arrange for the building of SB lathes in Korea. They did build at least one model of lathe in Korea and got it completely wrong, which seems quite surprising. It used Jarno tapers, for instance. I can't remember the other oddities. I don't know how long the Korean partnership lasted, or know anything about a Taiwan arrangement that may have followed.

Bill736
09-27-2011, 08:22 PM
http://www.wswells.com/serial_number.html

The Wells lathe site is very informative, and the serial number list site is shown above. What you will see in most of the information presented are serial numbers to different South Bend lathes , with the year made . This information has been submitted by many people as a way to estimate the year of your lathe from the serial number. Note carefully that both the type of South Bend lathe ( 9 inch, 10K, 10 heavy, etc.) and the year made change as you go down the list. I should add that the main S. Wells website is shown below.
http://www.wswells.com/index.html

Chris S.
09-27-2011, 11:21 PM
I don't know how long the Korean partnership lasted, or know anything about a Taiwan arrangement that may have followed.

Odd are I had Taiwan mixed up with Korea. ;)

Chris