PDA

View Full Version : Excello 602 - Small Oil Leak

Shuswap Pat
09-27-2011, 10:08 PM
I seem to be losing oil from the head on my Excello mill. Not a real mystery, as it is dripping down from the spindle, and what ever tool is in there. My question - I am thinking that it is probably the seal on the the shaft to the quill, but then I thought maybe this is intentional to allow some lubrication for teh quill and the spline? I just don't want to rip it apart to find out there is an intentional leak (like British motorcycles).

Patrick

quadrod
09-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Hey Shuswap, there is a seal on the bottom of the two speed gear box. If you send me a pm with your e-mail i think i can send you a pdf of the manual. When you get the seal out and have some measurements call Chicago raw hide and give them the measurments and they can match up a seal.
This is the last to have oem xlo parts

http://www.mag-ias.com/en.html

wierdscience
09-27-2011, 10:59 PM
To clarify,you are getting oil on the inside of the spindle bore as in down the inside of the taper?

Is it an R-8 spindle or an NT-40?

Shuswap Pat
09-27-2011, 11:58 PM
The taper is #40 - the oil is coming down the quill, onto the outside of the tooling. When I start it, I have to shshiel my self with a rag as it flings off of the spindle.

Pat

sandiapaul
09-28-2011, 07:26 AM
Same exact problem with mine...curious to see how you get it fixed.

paul

wierdscience
09-28-2011, 08:56 AM
The taper is #40 - the oil is coming down the quill, onto the outside of the tooling. When I start it, I have to shshiel my self with a rag as it flings off of the spindle.

Pat
Then it's what Quad said,there is a seal in the bottom of the gearbox leaking.

lazlo
09-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Then it's what Quad said,there is a seal in the bottom of the gearbox leaking.

I replaced the oil in mine with the Mobil gear oil that the manual recommends. I turned the head sideways and let all the old oil drain out. Almost immediately, the oil leak slowed down, and within a month the leak stopped altogether.

I probably need to replace that seal as well, but a high quality gear oil sure worked a charm to swell the old one back out...

MaxHeadRoom
09-28-2011, 10:38 AM
I replaced the oil in mine with the Mobil gear oil that the manual recommends. ..

When I retro-fitted a couple of 602's about 12yrs ago, I talked to someone in Excello parts about a worn gear box shifter.
I was told they had recommended now going over to ATF for the gearbox lube, rebuilt the shifter and been running ever since with no problems.
Max.

lazlo
09-28-2011, 12:41 PM
When I retro-fitted a couple of 602's about 12yrs ago, I talked to someone in Excello parts about a worn gear box shifter.
I was told they had recommended now going over to ATF for the gearbox lube

I've heard that before, but Excello went out of business years ago, and the intellectual property was bought by the same holding company that owns the Cincinnati-Milacron patents.

ATF is just mineral oil with detergent and red dye. The oil that the Excello manual recommends is a high-end synthetic gear oil with anti-wear additives. Your Mileage May Vary...

bkahler
09-30-2011, 10:05 PM
I just recently rebuilt my 602 mill. There is a seal for the spindle that is at the bottom of the gearbox. Oddly enough I replaced the seal with a new one and I still have oil seeping down the quill. I know I paid special attention when I was putting it back together not to nick the seal so I don't think that is the cause of the problem.

Lazlo, what weight gear oil did you use? I'm wondering if ATF fluid is just to thin for the oil seal. I haven't run the machine hardly any yet since replacing the seal so I don't know if the seal needs to bed itself in or if I should just try replacing the oil with the oil Lazlo used.

For informational purposes there is a gentleman in Canada, John McCartney (His company is called Cartech) who has a large stock of Ex-Cell-O mill parts and the original drawings among other things. I've bought several parts from him, quill spring, oil seal, plastic key for the upper drive pulley, and a couple of other parts. John is extremely knowledgeable on these machines and really likes to talk about them. He also has all of the old purchase records so I was able to find out when mine was built and who it was sold to. He can be reached at 416-222-6504.

If you have an early machine even the earliest manual doesn't cover all of the differences. Mine is an early mill and there are some definite differences between my mill and the later ones.

As for the manuals for the 602 mills you can download copies here http://campkahler.com/downloads.html

Pictures of my 602 are here http://campkahler.com/excello.html

Since I didn't have a source for 3-phase I went ahead and installed a VFD on it and really like how it operates.

Brad

quadrod
09-30-2011, 10:26 PM
When i went through my 602 i found that some one had been there before me. They has axle grease every where, even the ways for the table and knee. They also had thick axle grease in the gear box for the power down feed. The oil seal at the bottom of the two speed gear box was an leather seal like from an old rear end in a car. When i got the new seal from Skf i made sure to ask for a non directional or by direction seal. It is nitril and orange in color. I am running atf in the upper gear box and amsoil #2 grease in the power down feed gear box. I have found that the oil in the amsoil grease seperates from the grease itself and i get a small drop hanging from the head mount.

lazlo
10-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Lazlo, what weight gear oil did you use? I'm wondering if ATF fluid is just to thin for the oil seal. I haven't run the machine hardly any yet since replacing the seal so I don't know if the seal needs to bed itself in or if I should just try replacing the oil with the oil Lazlo used.

Sorry, had to find it: Mobil SHC 600 Synthetic Series Gear Lubricant:

https://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT2?PMPXNO=1965955&PMTERM=60002193

bkahler
10-17-2011, 07:14 AM
Sorry, had to find it: Mobil SHC 600 Synthetic Series Gear Lubricant:

https://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT2?PMPXNO=1965955&PMTERM=60002193

Thanks lazlo!

Definitely not cheap but if it it stops the leaks and quiets it down it's well worth the cost.

Brad