PDA

View Full Version : Induction Hardened Linear Bearing Rod

Ian B
09-28-2011, 04:07 AM
I need some of this stuff for use with linear bearings:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220733819345?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

And to mount it, I need to drill & tap holes in it, also do some machining on one end to allow a removable extension piece to be screwed on.

Does it just have a hard outer case that can be ground away and then drilled & tapped as normal, or is it likely to be hard all the way through?

Ian

willmac
09-28-2011, 05:17 AM
Ian -

I can't be totally certain about that particular supplier. but I have bought similar linear bearing shafting. It had a surface hardened layer only. The surface was very hard but just about machinable with the right carbide tooling - although the tips did not last long. Grinding would be much better if you can do this in a controlled way. The interior was easily machinable but quite tough. No real problem for normal HSS tooling. You should be able to tap it OK, but I would use a new, quality HSS tap.

One point to watch - the 40 mm shafting I bought was not as round as I would have liked - this was not apparent just from a visual inspection. this may, or may not matter for your application.

morehelium
09-28-2011, 06:38 AM
I've never seen through hardened linear shafting, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

Most by far is case hardened and the centers of the shafts are easily tapped.

Chris

Forrest Addy
09-28-2011, 07:17 AM
Drilling and tapping isn't a problem once the case is penetrated. You can do this locally with a pneimatic die grinding through the case in the precise location and subsequent lay-out, drilling, and tapping in the prepared area.

The ends are soft except for the hard rim.

Ian B
09-28-2011, 07:32 AM
Thanks all,

That's what I was hoping for, as I was indeed planning to grind small patches of the hard case away and then drill & tap at those points.

Ian