PDA

View Full Version : OT - Couldn't find my pencil sharpener...

Weekend_Scientist
09-28-2011, 09:51 AM
http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g442/AxcelleratorT/pencil_sharpener.jpg

Overkill?

bborr01
09-28-2011, 10:06 AM
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

uncle pete
09-28-2011, 10:28 AM
It makes sense to me, I use my lathe to scuff and deburr the ends of copper tubeing when doing plumbing jobs.

On a side note, You might want to keep the 4 jaw out of the swarf pile though. They work and last far longer when their kept clean.

Pete

flathead4
09-28-2011, 11:23 AM
I can't wait to show my wife my $1K pencil sharpener.

Tom

EVguru
09-28-2011, 11:37 AM
That's a bit high tech! What's wrong with a bench grinder?

hitnmiss
09-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Indicating the pencil in on a 4-jaw would have been overkill...

Alistair Hosie
09-28-2011, 11:43 AM
I use my wood lathe to spin these cans of spray varnish/paint to mix them up well.I have not tried it on a normal can of paint yet too frightened I guess. it works great with spray cans. Alistair

lynnl
09-28-2011, 11:57 AM
I use my wood lathe to spin these cans of spray varnish/paint to mix them up well.I have not tried it on a normal can of paint yet too frightened I guess. it works great with spray cans. Alistair

I have an old kitchen blender/mixer (handheld) that my wife was tossing away; used it just a couple of days ago to mix a gallon of paint. Did a great job, with lots less elbow grease. ...also, you don't want that elbow grease getting into the paint. :rolleyes:

Arthur.Marks
09-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Am I the only one who carries a simple pocket knife everywhere?

camdigger
09-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Am I the only one who carries a simple pocket knife everywhere?

No but.... To steal and mutillate an old saying....

When you have a lathe, EVERYTHING is a turning project. Even sharpening the pencil for your Amish CAD system.

Evan
09-28-2011, 12:56 PM
I seem to recall that John S has (built) the ultimate pencil sharpener. Perhaps he will post a picture.

dp
09-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Save me a trip through the Machinery's Handbook - what was the speed/feed and DOC, and carbide or HSS? :D

madwilliamflint
09-28-2011, 01:16 PM

Careful. Those press-fit lids aren't so...fit. When I used to use the paint mixer at ye olde mall job as a kid, those things would explode all over the place.

I have no comment on reports of bored sears hardware workers mixing up some godawful color then walking away from the mixer as it thrashed.

I seem to recall that John S has (built) the ultimate pencil sharpener. Perhaps he will post a picture.

I'm far too happy that I've been here long enough to know why that's funny :p

Weekend_Scientist
09-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Oh, yes, of course, speeds and feeds. Thanks for the reminder dp.

Can you believe Machinery's Handbook has no information on speeds and feeds for graphite cored hardwood dowels?

Since the Sherline is variable speed I'll have to estimate but I'd say I was around 800 RPM.

As I was cutting graphite I naturally went for a carbide tipped cutter. Though, as you can tell from the blunt tip on the pencil the cutting tool height needed to be adjusted a bit.

Weekend_Scientist
09-28-2011, 02:37 PM
http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g442/AxcelleratorT/cutting_tool_post.jpg

Here's the cutting edge I used. See my original post for a view from another angle.

Most of you are probably screaming at your computer screens right now.

It really does work quite well for a wide range of cutting. Since my little Sherline doesn't have a huge amount of torque or stiffness I tend to resort to really sharp cutting edges.

It is a carbide router bit (three bits from Horror Freight for $7.00, two carbide cutting surfaces per bit). The router bit is being held in a 1.5" aluminum square bar that has a different holder on each of its four faces.

It attaches to the cross slide with one screw and adjusts vertically with shims. This makes it a cinch to change the angle of the cutting edge against the work.

I've used it for facing and boring up to an inch and a quarter deep into steel.

The cutting edge can be resharpened easily since you're just using the outermost corner. All you do to make a fresh corner is square it up and run it past a diamond blade being turned in the lathe.

jhe.1973
09-28-2011, 04:18 PM

Maybe this is a proof of concept sketch of his pencil sharpener.

I thought it was a cartoon I cut from the newspaper decades ago, but you never know.

Especially when this second cartoon appeared.

I bet it's a conspiracy of some kind.

I gotta run. Time to change the aluminum foil over my windows.:eek:

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g327/jhe-1973/Cartoons/Pencilsharpener.jpg

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g327/jhe-1973/Cartoons/Sharpenerdust.jpg