PDA

View Full Version : Portable Bandsaw Vise

Chris165
09-28-2011, 09:15 PM
I have a problem cutting straight with my porta-band on large diameter stock. I know a bandsaw would solve this problem but I dont have the space for one. Milwaukee sells a stand with a chain vise, but I'd like to see if anyone has built or modified one to use a regular style vise like those on a bandsaw.

PeteM
09-28-2011, 09:38 PM
I modified a Milwaukee Port-a-Band and table and was happy with the results over a period of several years. Sorry no pix -- health reasons have me selling off my shop and this was one of the first things to go.

The legs are just 3/4" pipe; I ran an axle and two wheels at the back.

The back jaw was a machined heavy angle (about 4" tall and deep) that could be located with push/pull pins and clamped with a single nut. In 90 deg. cutting it goes within a whisker of the blade.

The front jaw was modified from a miter saw. Quick adjust with plenty of clamping force.

You'll get almost the same capacity as a 4x6" saw. A big plus is that the bimetal vary-tooth blades are as affordable as you could want. And, if needed, the whole saw quickly detaches when you want to take the saw to the work.

You'll want to make up some spacers and extensions to handle work that's too short to fit in the vise or needs better support near the blade. I had good luck cutting sections of an arc from heavy pipe (imagine a half circle, maybe 2" tall, maybe 1/2" thick). The convex part of the arc would fit against the quick-change jaw. One end would hold the work while the other butted up against the back jaw. This allows cutting very small pieces.

RussZHC
09-29-2011, 12:01 AM
I was going to post a few links but there are so many that are slight variations on the theme...I googled, "portable bandsaw table", among the "tables" was a patent however:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7159499.html

there is nothing I saw that is precisely a "vise" and most of the links (I just clicked on photos and most linked to sites with more detailed articles) are variations on locating the saw upright on/to a table, a few of those have mitre slot type deals, so...no one quite seems to have say the base of those dual angle bandsaws (as in regular metal bandsaw as opposed to portable bandsaw)...

...very interested in these ideas as I too am likely going to go that route (the used horizontal saws locally are either beat to sh*& or go so fast I can never get them)

dstaley
09-29-2011, 09:15 AM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/78LT383/Non-automotive/worthless.gif

Tait
09-29-2011, 09:33 AM
I have the stand from Swag Off Road (http://www.swagoffroad.com/Porta_band_Modular_Mount_Product.html) - it works very well for holding the portaband itself.

On their website, I notice that one can also get a miter gage setup for the stand which might help with straight cuts (I don't have that part, so I can't comment on how well it works...)

bkeetch
09-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Chris
I had the same problem as you, right down to no room for a larger band saw.
I found some pics. on this site, they are from years ago when they gave an extra month mag. for good ideas.
The site is:www.homeshopmachinist.net/passblast/hsm/images/jan08b.jpg
This would have been Jan.08
I have started to do the same with mine, I am far from finished, I have to make a new mounting plyboard as well as a vice.
I also want to cut down the saw guides so I can mount it closer to the board.

I'm new to the site and don't know how to add pictures, if someone can help out let me know and I will send mine in as well.
brian

Chris S.
09-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Chris
I had the same problem as you, right down to no room for a larger band saw.
I found some pics. on this site, they are from years ago when they gave an extra month mag. for good ideas.
The site is:www.homeshopmachinist.net/passblast/hsm/images/jan08b.jpg
Snip..
I'm new to the site and don't know how to add pictures, if someone can help out let me know and I will send mine in as well.
brian

Firstly, there's instructions (link) at the top of your page. Secondly, it would have been better to paste the link to the thread instead of the image.

BTW, is that a HF saw? It has their classic nondescript ("Hey I'm cheap as sh*t") look about it.

EDIT: Not say'n I've never bought a HF though! :D

Chris

bkeetch
09-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Chris,
Just trying to help out here.......
I don't know the link but I was able to figure out how to make mine work from the picture and yes its a HF saw, mine is an old greenlee and I still got it to work here are two more pictures...now you have all the information I have, good luck with it.
brian

Chris S.
09-29-2011, 05:06 PM
Chris,
Just trying to help out here.......
brian

Brian, I was just trying to help out too. No offense meant. ;)

Chris

bkeetch
09-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Chris,
None taken, it,s been a sh----y day for me as far as internet goes.
I have a pretty thick skin so pile it on.
Sorry for being short fussed....not my style....My wife may not agree with that.
Brian