PDA

View Full Version : How about this for a first cnc mill?

legendboy
09-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Just wanted to get some opinions on this little mill.

I was looking locally at a saber 750 but it was just too much work to try and get it in my garage.

This on the other end of the scale is pretty small and manageable.

What do you guys think? This would be my first cnc mill. Likely drip feeding most of the programing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compumill-1500-Santec-Bed-Vertical-Milling-Machine-Dynapath-Delta-20-CNC-Manual-/280746673070?pt=BI_Mills&hash=item415dce43ae

Compumill 1500 Vertical Bed Milling machine

Dynapath Delta 20 CNC
3 H.P. Spindle Motor
Low Rang 60-580 RPM
High Range 500-4500 RPM
Q5 Aluminum Cylinder by Hydro-Line for head assist counter balance
Automatic Lube
Align Air Power Drawbar
Baldor Servo Motors
Copley Servo Amplifiers
Travels

X = 24.5 inches
Y = 12 inches
Z = 13.9 inches
Table Size = 42 inches long, 9 inches wide

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Compumill-1500-Santec-Bed-Vertical-Milling-Machine-Dynapath-Delta-20-CNC-Manual-/07/!B6P(vP!BWk~$(KGrHqUOKkMEyPfKw+sgBMwwgNqU3Q~~_12.J PG

John Stevenson
09-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Anything available with a fixed head locally to you ?

I'm not a big fan of the standard turret mill converted to CNC, why do you need a nod and tilt head on CNC ? it just reduces the rigidity.

duckman
09-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Rigging and shipping will kill you machine is located in Massachusetts USA.

motorworks
09-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Pop me an a message via my web page
www.motorworks88.webs.com

may know of one a little closer
e

wierdscience
09-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Anything available with a fixed head locally to you ?

I'm not a big fan of the standard turret mill converted to CNC, why do you need a nod and tilt head on CNC ? it just reduces the rigidity.

Look closer,it's a bed mill,notice the counter balance cylinder next to the head.

macona
09-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Looks like a nice little machine. Bed mill is nice, not relying on a quill for Z. Servos are good and it has a real control.

KEJR
09-29-2011, 09:54 PM
Is it just me or does this seem a little high priced for this type of machine with older control system? I'm not that familiar with the brand.

legendboy
09-29-2011, 11:31 PM
From what i read these were a pretty decent machine in their day

Rigging and shipping will kill you machine is located in Massachusetts USA.

yea, i have a pretty good customs broker that can find me some good deals. but likely looking at a grand for sure + rigging

this mill is on Helix Automation website for 12.5k

i was thinking if i could get it for 5k it might not be too bad of a deal

i am kinda upset having to pass on the saber 750 for 3.5k. wifey no like me dismantling the garage to get it in :o

macona
09-29-2011, 11:38 PM
For a fully operational machine with a real control the price is not bad. Look at the prices that Prolight mills bring, almost 3k with a pc control and steppers and they are tiny.

beanbag
09-30-2011, 04:31 AM
I used to think that stepper and Mach3 were not that bad, but after seeing some "real" CNC mills in action, I find the buzzing and jerky motion of a Tormach to be rather annoying.

George Bulliss
09-30-2011, 08:02 AM
I worked on a lot of Compumills in my first shop. They were older than many of our other mills but were nice, well-built machines and were heavily used. Last time I went back there they were still running them on two shifts, twenty years after I first used them. We had several different models, all larger than this one.

We also ran Dynapath 20 controls on them. Itís a very easy to use controller and would be a good choice to start on.

I had a chance to pick one up a few years ago for $500 and have been kicking myself about passing on it ever since.

George

Steve Seebold
09-30-2011, 09:52 AM
Make sure Dynapath is still in business. If not, you could wind up with nothing more than a very large boat anchor.

I just purchased a Tormach PCNC1100, and so far, it has done everything I have askes it to do. It does everything my Haas or FADAL would do and it didn't cost $75,000.00. I got in it for less than $15,000.00 nicely tooled.

I had a couple of 3 inch import vises, and that works for me. I don't want to do large parts any more.

legendboy
09-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Pop me an a message via my web page
www.motorworks88.webs.com

may know of one a little closer
e

Sent you an email thru your site this morning. Thanks!

Make sure Dynapath is still in business. If not, you could wind up with nothing more than a very large boat anchor.

I just purchased a Tormach PCNC1100, and so far, it has done everything I have askes it to do. It does everything my Haas or FADAL would do and it didn't cost $75,000.00. I got in it for less than $15,000.00 nicely tooled.

I had a couple of 3 inch import vises, and that works for me. I don't want to do large parts any more.

I have a friend that has a Tormach. He seems to like it but I can't spend that much on a machine unfortunately

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it

legendboy
09-30-2011, 10:11 AM
I had a chance to pick one up a few years ago for $500 and have been kicking myself about passing on it ever since.

George

Thats how I am feeling about the saber :mad: