PDA

View Full Version : Accelerator for Cyanoacrylaten glues

PTSideshow
09-30-2011, 11:09 AM
Was wondering if any body on the forum has a formula for homemade accelerator. Now I know that misting water on will speed up the reaction time.
Going over the web, there seems to be some confusion with the use of baking soda on most wood working forums, it is listed as the main ingredient with water in homemade accelerator rather than as a filler material.

Generally, cyanoacrylate is an acrylic resin which rapidly polymerises in the presence of water (specifically hydroxide ions)
So one part is water

Although the base strength of sodium carbonate solutions is lower than a concentrated sodium hydroxide solution, washing soda (another name for sodium carbonate)
Another could be the washing soda rather than lye or some alcohol or a combination of the three.

Hydroxyl groups in organic compounds such as alcohols,

Do anybody have any thoughts or formulas, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel so to speak?
Since it sells for $4.00 up for a 2 oz pump bottle, doing wood turning on a larger item can get pricey just to turn or sand it off.

PTSideshow
09-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Just an added post info, went into the shop and found a 2oz bottle of Titebond instant activator($9.95 from woodcraft).The MSDS for the bottleis on line and was interesting. Naptha,n-heptane, and methylcyclohexane

MSDS for activator (http://www.franklini.com/msds/6313.g3hgo0jko0020.pdf)
That explains the acetone like odor they talk about on the wood working forums.

Evan
09-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Sodium bicarbonate works very quickly. You can use a very light mist solution in water or use it dry to build up a fillet. When using dry you need to have the very low viscosity glue so it will soak in fast. Beware the fumes when it goes "off" as they are very irritating and can potentially cause allergic sensitization.

Also, keep cyanoacrylate glues well away from any sort of optics. It will destroy them with even the slightest amount of fume nearby.

macona
09-30-2011, 12:07 PM
We use the baking soda as well, and gallons of accelerator. We have an entire mini fridge full of super glue at work...

PTSideshow
09-30-2011, 12:34 PM
What is the accelerator made of? A little baking soda dissolved in water? I don't need it as a filler

ckelloug
09-30-2011, 01:17 PM
I posted about this a while back in the thread about thread locker chemistry. Alcohol is in the original patent for superglue as an accelerator.

Evan
09-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Anything alkaline and hydrated will set it off. A little baking soda in water is fine. Alcohol will lower the surface tension.

macona
09-30-2011, 03:41 PM
From the MSDS:

Aliphatic Petroleum (64742-89-8) 300ppm 300ppm TLV/STEL=400ppm 80-100%
Alkyl Toluidines (99-97-8) NE NE NE 6-12%
Xylene (1330-20-7) * 100ppm 100ppm TLV/STEL=150ppm 2-6%
Ethylbenzene (100-41-4) * 100ppm 100ppm TLV/STEL-125ppm 1-3%

Yummy!

PTSideshow
09-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Ok because, because on most wood working/pen forums. They must be adding way to much baking soda! as it turns in to a white cloudy mess etc. Going through the MSDS's for the activators and the patents most are using hydro carbon's as they all seem to be high flammable keep away from heat, sparks open flames and anything breathing.
Thanks as this should cut down on the mess experimenting time.
They are adding way to much soda!.

macona
09-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Baking soda just makes a mess. I dont like it.

From what Evan says about Alkalines kicking it, the Alkyl Toluidines are probably what is doing the work. The other chemicals are just for delivery.

CCWKen
09-30-2011, 11:31 PM
The old RVM (Rear View Mirror) adhesive used to use a very nasty compound as a surface cleaner and accelerator. I think they've changed. The last packet I used had an alcohol smell to it. If I would have thought about it I would have checked the labeling. (I was in too much of a hurry.) In any case, it was definitely in the hydroxyl group. :cool: