PDA

View Full Version : forming stainless - a little bit

Horst
09-30-2011, 01:43 PM
I want to make a sink out of a Stainless steel mixing bowl. I already drilled the hole but I need to dimple the bottom around the drain fitting so that it is not proud of the surface. Drain is about 2.5" dia. and about 0.10" thick so that would be how deep my dimple would be. I have no forming tools so anything I need I would have to make or buy. I have no experience. I have no idea if it is worth it. I can say that SS sinks are out of my price range for this application.

DFMiller
09-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Do you have any explosives?
Someone on this thread might help out
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=50166&page=2

Barring that I would make a punch and a ring and wail away or use a press.

Ring could be MDF depression and punch to reduce force could be a drift punch.

Dave

HWooldridge
09-30-2011, 01:53 PM
You could probably rig a suitable press die for one hit from a couple blocks of wood and a hydraulic jack. Study on that process suggestion with respect to your requirement and you should be able to visualize the shape and setup.

Horst
09-30-2011, 01:54 PM
I have a 12 ton press. Is that good enough? Mild steel forming tool?

DFMiller
09-30-2011, 02:03 PM
I bet wood might work for both halves. Worst case is you have to change to mild steel. Are get a second bowl.
Please post pictures when done.
Dave

Dawai
09-30-2011, 02:59 PM
FREE flowing metal.. a air impact riveter.. See the die, the "round end" he is forming over??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbYPif9fxYc

it just goes around and around till he gets it "slowly" stretched into place.. a dimple just like you want..

A chunk of pipe, cut off and sanded smooth will work.. or a depression in a stump.. chunk of log.. and a hand hammer.. and a lot of taps.. not beating.. Doing it by hand with "no tools" means a long aggravating time.

HWooldridge
09-30-2011, 03:09 PM
I have a 12 ton press. Is that good enough? Mild steel forming tool?

I should think that might work.