PDA

View Full Version : What kind of vice or mill attachment is this??

mp43sniper
10-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Hi all,

My first post here. I registered the other day but haven't had a chance to do anything until tonight, and coincidentally now I could use some help. My dad went to an equipment auction today (I was unable to attend which is good because we would have more equipment than can fit in the shop now) and got a couple deals. One of them was this contraption, which I can't figure out. It appears to be an overly complicated vice for holding round items for milling operations. Does anyone know what it is, who made it, and what might be missing from it?

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh12/mp43sniper/vice.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Craig

Toolguy
10-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Oops. Double post.

Toolguy
10-01-2011, 09:53 PM
I've never seen one of those before, but I'd say you're on the right track. It may be more suited for a tool & cutter grinder or surface grinder than a mill though. If milling, I would only take light cuts.

TOOLZNTHINGS
10-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Hello,

I believe it is a tool and cutter grinding fixture.

Brian

lane
10-01-2011, 10:57 PM
That is a holding fixture of a Covel tool and cutter grinder.

mp43sniper
10-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Thank you very much for the information. If anyone has the machine that this goes with and is in need of it, we would consider trading for other tooling. We're near Pittsburgh.

Craig

Davo J
10-03-2011, 01:13 AM
Nice unit, it would be worth a few dollars.
Their are smaller Chinese ones around that are similar and even they sell for a bit.
Might be worth while putting it on ebay and let the customer work out the price.

Dave

dp
10-03-2011, 01:52 AM
That looks like it could be used for machining compound angles for pipe ends such as bicycle frame parts. I'd hate to think what you'd pay for that if you needed it and didn't have one. McGyver did a very nice scratch build project documented here:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=14890

Tel
10-03-2011, 02:33 AM
That looks far too handy to exchange for mere money, or other bits n pieces - the day will come when that is exactly what you need to do a job.

Black Forest
10-03-2011, 07:31 AM
It almost looks like an attachment to sharpen drills.