PDA

View Full Version : Way OT pewter rod

duckman
10-02-2011, 10:11 AM
I have a customer/friend who wants me fix a candle holder for her, the candle spike is missing originally it was about 1/4" X 1 1/4" long where can I find some pewter rod, did a goggle search all it comes up with is pewter curtain rods. :confused:

gwilson
10-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Just take a paper tube,like a toilet paper tube,or any other cardboard tube. Stop off the bottom end of it. Just stuffing toilet paper or napkins wadded into it,and covered with masking tape on the outside,to prevent leaks,will do. Bend a spout kink into a tin can. Heat your pewter in it,and pour it into the tube,wearing welder's gloves,or wrap it in a small towel. Just heat the pewter on your kitchen stove. You only want it to melt,NOT get over heated.

The pewter melts below the scorching temperature of the paper. I have done this many,many times. It works perfectly. Just keep pouring the pewter in continuously to avoid "cold shuts" in it. Save the chips UN CONTAMINATED with other chips,and you can re melt them in the can. Save it till you need it again.

You can even use reasonably heavy water color paper for the tube. I mean,paper about 2X the thickness of typing paper. If you just use the WHOLE ROLL of toilet paper,be sure to let it cool off before you put it back and your wife uses it. You might hear a LOUD OATH from the bathroom!!!!:)

PTSideshow
10-02-2011, 10:59 AM
As been said it is a do it yourself kind of thing. The local jewelry supply, has ingot, casting beads and sheet in a couple thickness. along with some wire and half round wire in very few sizes.
The candle stand spindle was mostly cast in shape and then finished. Which would have had anything soldered to it that wasn't cast as a part. Casting a spinning are the two most popular production methods.

The traditional molds were made from wood, stone, clay, sand, or metals like bronze or iron. We use these materials as well as modern molding compounds.

Just another thought the spike may have not been pewter, a piece the size you are describing, would have little strength to pierce the bottom of a candle, and stay straight. It might have been made out of a plain old nail I have seen a number of old ones that used them as the spikes.

You also can use brass as it gives a nice touch if they don't place candles on the stand.!