PDA

View Full Version : O.T. How to deal with difficult people at work

PhilR
10-02-2011, 07:39 PM
How do you deal with difficult people at work?

I have a situation here where a difficult / ignorant co-worker is causing a health and safety concern. My employers have provided us with the proper equipment to use. ie. Dust collector that is hooked up to all surface grinders, fume extractor for welding. My issue with this guy is: he will not use the dust collector for the surface grinders (I'm glad he doesn't know how to weld), the other workers also don't care, as they seem to value his opinion. When the dust collector isn't on I can smell the dust across the shop, which is definitely not good for anyone's health, I will turn it on, he just shuts it off. I've confronted him about this by simply asking why he does this, he gave me a serious attitude saying "I don't care" and went onto personal criticisms directed at me. It's obvious to me that he does not like to be told. I've worked for this company since they started in '04, and never had an issue with the 45 people that have been through there. I've asked the boss how we can make proper use of the dust collector, he said we'll have to make a rule that when the grinders are on it has to be on also. That was almost 2 months ago, I've mentioned it to him again and nothing has been done about it. Maybe I was being too general and polite.
Since the co-worker is unreasonable to deal with, how do I tactfully discuss this issue with the bosses to have a healthier work environment without seemingly being a snitch or as a person who is difficult to deal with as well?
I kind of feel stuck, damned if you do, damned if you don't.
I'd like to hear of any experiences or advice you guys may have.

gwilson
10-02-2011, 07:43 PM
sounds like a typical situation same as elsewhere,where the bosses are too whimpy to deal with the problem.

isaac338
10-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Come in after hours and wire up a relay so you can't turn on the grinder without the collector coming on, and don't tell anyone you did it.

Scottike
10-02-2011, 07:56 PM
I suppose you could spend time trying to explain the hazards of the dust to the health of the employees, machines, and the consequent impact it would have on the company bottom line. Or just wire the dust collector so that it comes on when the surface grinder is turned on.

Tony Ennis
10-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Why does he not like to use the dust collector?

gwilson
10-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Explain how someone could sue the company for lung damage. That sometimes interests whimpy,lazy bosses.

Your Old Dog
10-02-2011, 08:32 PM
http://www.authenticsportscollectibles.com/store/images/APE-JACKSON-BO-BAT.jpg

These come in various lengths and weights. There aren't many attitudes they won't re-adjust.

uncle pete
10-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Phil,
Your in Ontario, Does your province have "Right to refuse" legislation the same as B.C. does? If so, Simply walk out the door everytime it happens. But I'm thinking you might not. Y.O.D.s solution would be funny & effective, And from what I've read, Well deserved. This isn't the 1900s where the health effects wern't understood. I'd mention to the "boss" that if the problem isn't dealt with then your going to be forced to move up the ladder in the company and thru various government workplace safety boards. Document all conversations. The safety system is there and one guy won't use it? That pretty well explains what he thinks of his fellow workers. Your right in your point of view, I sure wouldn't be worried about what he thinks. Your fellow workers should be backing you up 100% also.

Pete

Arcane
10-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Time to be blunt and direct with your boss to the point he understands it isn't a personal preference of yours but an Occupational Health and Safety issue that if not addressed as required by workplace rules will result in your going to them directly. Let him know that he can be held personally responsible for not following OHSA rules...something he may not know or believe. There is also the issue of workplace harassment and bullying which I believe the other worker is subjecting you to by deliberately not using the ventilation system and saying he don't care and with his personal criticisms directed at you. The boss's refusal to do anything about it makes him complicit with it. At one time that was tolerated but today, it's one of the things that really seems to be taken very seriously. It's commonly called a Toxic Workplace.

Theiskell
10-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Time to be blunt and direct with your boss to the point he understands it isn't a personal preference of yours but an Occupational Health and Safety issue that if not addressed as required by workplace rules will result in your going to them directly. Let him know that he can be held personally responsible for not following OHSA rules...something he may not know or believe. There is also the issue of workplace harassment and bullying which I believe the other worker is subjecting you to by deliberately not using the ventilation system and saying he don't care and with his personal criticisms directed at you. The boss's refusal to do anything about it makes him complicit with it. At one time that was tolerated but today, it's one of the things that really seems to be taken very seriously. It's commonly called a Toxic Workplace.
This is well stated.

Documentation, Documentation, Documentation be sure to document EVERY instance in detail. When you go to the employer with a stack of papers documenting health hazards, management tends to listen. If they donít then maybe someday they will be working for you. OSHA frowns upon this type of thing and can and will fine the company and the individual if necessary.

PhilR
10-02-2011, 10:15 PM
issac338 and Scottike- I like your idea of wiring the dust collector to the grinders. That will certainly be dummy proof.

Tony- I think he doesn't like the dust collector because it makes noise. Earplugs are provided, and it is tolerable.

gwilson: That would concern them for sure.

Y.O.D.-Thanks, that gave me a good laugh.

Pete- We do have the right to refuse unsafe work in Ontario. That is a good point that we're no longer in the 1900's. We should be able to learn from our history and make corrections, unfortunately some choose ignorance. I will document my conversations.

Arcane and Theiskell, very good points and advice I can use.

Thanks guys

My employers are decent people to work for, hopefully they listen this time, I do like my job.

A.K. Boomer
10-02-2011, 11:16 PM
I would not get too anal about it with the bosses -- and trying to go through all the "proper protocol" will do just that and might just earn you a "reputation" and make life really really tough on you --- here's what you could do - you could do the wiring thing but why not just let it be? take pleasure in whatever dust particulates your smelling he's inhaling 50 times the amount ---- karma will get real ugly for him down the road - feel free to bring in a light duty particulate mask and where it when he fires the grinder up ---- everyone will think your a nerd and but that's ok cuz u know what the score is;)

gwilson
10-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Isn't the dust getting onto the machinery,too? Aren't the bosses concerned about AT LEAST not needlessly wearing out their machinery? Sounds like they haven't thought about that,or it wasn't their money that bought them.

Check the parking lot for cameras and slash his tires,put nails under them,etc.. Report to the IRS anonymously that the guy is making unreported extra income,selling stuff for cash. A million ways to make his life unbearable. He's an ass for not turning on the collector and he's pooping in your face.

Black Forest
10-03-2011, 01:58 AM
Next time he turns on the grinder and not the dust collector just go over and turn off the grinder. Point to the dust collector. When he turns the grinder on again you turn it off again. When he touches you then lay him out. Point made. Of course I am a barbarian and a big well trained one at that!!

mike os
10-03-2011, 02:34 AM
or if it "smells a bit like smoke" hit the fire alarms....thought something was on fire.

Guess I am fortunate that the only time I had to deal with an idiot like this I had the authority to tell him next time he was dismissed immediately for breach of safety requirements....never happened again.

Peter.
10-03-2011, 02:41 AM
Tip the contents of the collection bag over him and say 'If you like the dust that much you might as well have the rest of it'.

fixerdave
10-03-2011, 03:06 AM
Not easy... I mean, he doesn't like the noise, you don't like the dust. He can wear plugs, you can wear a mask. Not going to be an easy fight. But, if the dust collector is so noisy you need earplugs... maybe everyone in the shop can agree to fix THAT problem... you know, make it quieter so the argument goes away? I mean... the dust extractor is the thing in the shop people think is too loud??

If management won't pay for that... well, you're the odd man out. I suggest you wear a mask. But, I'd make it a big cumbersome mask and while I worked with it I'd go r-e-a-l s-l-o-w. When said boss complained about how long a job took you to do, just say the dust mask slows you down. When he asks why you're wearing the dust mask... well, point to the guy that won't use the dust extractor. Maybe remind him that you've already had a conversation with him about this safety issue but he did nothing. It might drive the point home.

Though, better yet, get the entire floor wearing dust masks. Fights between employees will make a manager's eyes roll. A room full of employees agreeing to fight management is a whole different level. At that level, money they say doesn't exist can magically appear to fix the problem.

Fights with management are well documented other places, so I won't bother.

Circlip
10-03-2011, 03:47 AM
If someone else is using the machinery, ask them to turn the collector on and if they refuse, wear a personal respirator, if you are using the machinery and after switching the collecter on, he switches it off, you are at liberty to smash his fingers with a FBH for endangering your personal safety. In every industrial enviroment, it's your own responsibility to ensure your own personal safety.

Regards Ian.

And oh yes, whenever a "Gang" get together to enforce something, you'll need a giant dust collector to find you're stood on your own.

Nearly forgot, ask the management to supply your personal safety equipment and point to the self contained power type.

John Stevenson
10-03-2011, 03:59 AM
Check the parking lot for cameras and slash his tires,put nails under them,etc.. Report to the IRS anonymously that the guy is making unreported extra income,selling stuff for cash. A million ways to make his life unbearable. He's an ass for not turning on the collector and he's pooping in your face.

And how will that make him use the dust collector ?
All he'll know is that someone has it in for him but about what ? Could be anything.

Best course of action is to approach management, state your case and ask THEM to wire the two items in parallel.
This way it's their decision and their problem if it gets tampered with.

jugs
10-03-2011, 04:06 AM
Isn't the dust getting onto the machinery,too? Aren't the bosses concerned about AT LEAST not needlessly wearing out their machinery? Sounds like they haven't thought about that,or it wasn't their money that bought them.

:eek: Why are you inciting such cowardly & criminal behavior ??????????
it maybe the way you run your life, but please don't sugest others sink down to your level.

beanbag
10-03-2011, 05:10 AM
Very interesting to see the different approaches to "conflict management", LOL

Black Forest
10-03-2011, 07:22 AM
If I had a problem with my own safety caused by another employee I would go to management and tell them to fix the problem and let me know when it is fixed so I can come back to work. But I never had a job so maybe I am over simplifying. I think you all are over intelectualizing the situation. There is a reason the dust extractor is there. It is managements job to insure the safety of the workers. Period.

vpt
10-03-2011, 07:26 AM
Have the dust collector wired to the surface grinders power switch. Turn the grinder one and the collector comes on. It will drive him nuts!

MotorradMike
10-03-2011, 07:27 AM
I like the wiring solution but if you do that you've stepped over the line unless you are an electrician and management has agreed with it.

Who is your Health and Safety rep on the floor?
That person should be dealing with this.

Tony Ennis
10-03-2011, 07:47 AM
Tony- I think he doesn't like the dust collector because it makes noise. Earplugs are provided, and it is tolerable.

Most people are reasonable at some level. I'd ask him what kind of hearing protection he needs in order to be comfortable.

My son doesn't like some types of shooting earplugs because they hurt his ear canals. Maybe this guy is the same way - maybe earplugs hurt him.

A.K. Boomer
10-03-2011, 08:47 AM
I like your approach Tony, sometimes that's all it takes to de-fuse a situation,

If he doesn't go for that then let things take their course --- so you have to protect yourself a little - It's worth it don't you think? if you have too - just think what he's sucking up...

Then five years down the road when the bossman has to order new equipment and he asks why tell him about all the abrasive the dust it had to live in and grin...

ten years down the road when your "buddy" is in the hospital suffering from COPD send him some flowers and a mask with a little note that says "I know it's a little late for this but it's the thought that counts"

Revenge is a dish best served cold my friend:)

people cook their own goose - if their intent on doing that then why would you want to interfere with the oven temperature? just stand back a little and watch... like Willy Wonka said just before that fat kid fell into the river of chocolate --- in a very mild whisper that you could barely hear he said " no --- wait ---- stop " almost as if he was taking pleasure in it :)

bborr01
10-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Document every time you talk to the co-worker or management with a concern regarding the dust collector. Let management know that you intend to go to the governmental safety people with your concerns if management won't deal with the co-worker.

Talk is just talk until you start to document things. Management will not like the idea of the government coming in to investigate.

I am also pretty sure you won't be fired for trying to induce safety into your workplace.

Brian

Jaakko Fagerlund
10-03-2011, 08:59 AM
If the idiot turns the dust collector off, turn the grinder off. Plain and simple and when asked why did you do that, say that the grinder will not be used without the dust collector. If the idiot still cotinues his behaviour, talk with your boss and say that either the dust collector is fixed to stay on while the grinder is on or the guys attitude is fixed - whatever the solution, say you'll be back at work after the problem has been solved. At least in here the law is on the workers side if the job presents a health hazard like described.

At my work place there is one persistent m/f'er (age 55, does CNC milling) that doesn't listen to advices/instructions and when he decides that he is right then he is right, no matter how much it would be against the laws of nature, common sense or anything. And yes, as he has time to wander around while his machine is running, he will come to advice/talk about anything that you are doing or not doing or someone else is doing. And yes, not in a single instant has he been really right.

Our solution to the above person? Totally ignore him and hope that he will quit or get to a pension soon.

Abner
10-03-2011, 09:00 AM
isaac has a great idea.

The "I don't care" statement is all you need to know, he's a workplace bully and/or psychopath. Book - "The psychopath next door"

This guy may be looking for a fight. I would document, document, document and get him fired as quickly and easily as you can.

gary350
10-03-2011, 09:04 AM
It sounds like a problem I had once. I cut the plug off of the grinder and hard wired it in with the dust collector. The dust collecter HAD to be ON for the grinder to work.

KiddZimaHater
10-03-2011, 09:07 AM
An anonymous phone call to OSHA giving details of when,where,what,and how management ignored the hazard will wake them up.

gwilson
10-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Jugs and john:It was a joke for Pete's sake. Don't get your pants in a wad. I never do things like that. I am artistic,not a thug. You,John,are just looking for something to come down on me,and I in an unguarded moment gave it to you. Hurray for you. My first suggestion was the real approach. Calling OSHA is a good one,too.

A.K. Boomer
10-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Add me to the list of Jugs and John GW ---- didn't see a smiley face or anything so didn't think you were joking... just sayin...

gwilson
10-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Sorry,I was smiley face NEGLIGENT :):):) Some people should know from the work I have posted that I am artistically inclined,not thuggish,and never was. I deserve to be reported to OOSM(office of smiley faces.)!!

A.K. Boomer
10-03-2011, 10:16 AM
three in a row makes up for it, but we'll be watching u --------- :D

gwilson
10-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Smiley face Gestapo,HUH????:)

boaterri
10-03-2011, 10:29 AM
2x for the call to OSHA (or the Canadian equivelant).

Rick

gary350
10-03-2011, 10:31 AM
An anonymous phone call to OSHA giving details of when,where,what,and how management ignored the hazard will wake them up.

In some ways OSHA is a joke. By law they have to arrive through the front door. They can not enter the factory work area for 10 minutes. This gives people plenty of time to tip off workers and straighten a few things up. Once OSHA is there they will do a complete search and fines can be $5000 or more for the company. Even a specific complaint like a worker refusing to follow orders can not be stopped all OSHA can do is make sure the dust collector works, gringer is safe, electrical cords are ok, guards are in place, etc. We had a problem of this type at work and after a worker called OSHA a few times management was pissed off big time and demanded rules be inforced. The people that got caught refusing to follow rules were fired on the spot. After several jerks were fired the remaining jerks straighten up to keep their job.

oil mac
10-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Over here in the U.K. some years back, i had a couple of instances where everyone was too lily livered to take decisive action, on a couple of "not nice"scenarios

The first incident was a factory building,i worked in on an industrial estate, one particular winter we had an excessive rainfall, Upon turning up on the mornings, lying on the workshop floor was always about 1/2" an inch of water, We complained to the local office of the estates corporation (who had a team of workers fairly local, (lazy- b******s to a man!) All our complaints were usually fobbed off with "sorry guys do not worry it is only surface water"

This set up continued until the workforce started to go down with sore throats ,fever and skin rashes Needless to say your obedient servant Oil-Mac decided Enough is Enough, On went the watrproof clothing and i went round the back of the building, in amongst some waste ground, there was a sewer main, discharging toilet waste amongst the water

Back into the office," Give me the damned phone!, You can,t phone anyone, answer, Watch me!" On the phone to the head honcho, I threatened him with the following If you do not do something to remedy this outrage in the next five minutes, I phone the following-- Factory inspectorates office (Health &safety to you folks) Next the Medical Officer of Health, & finally the Sanitary inspector

The result before the phone was down, the workforce?(lazy B/s) were down with tools, no more problems.

The next set up was a big local factory over the wall from another place i worked, in the winter its large chimney belched out smoke, Then it started belching out grit All over my new car, Stuff that for a game of soldiers, so they also got a phone call, This time to their works manager, in which i asked if he realised what his boiler fireman was doing to his boiler tubes? The grit stopped pretty damned smartly In this case, Some of my scurvy workmates were worried about the loss of goodwill, for getting their sideline jobs done on the side, Pity they were not skilled enough to do the work themselves-pity.

Sometimes ones colleagues are a hindrance not a help

Black Forest
10-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Hey, watch the Gustapo comments.

gwilson
10-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Gustapo ??? :)

MrSleepy
10-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Gustapo ??? :)

Do they police windfarms in Chicago ?..:)

mike os
10-03-2011, 01:33 PM
or you vil be SHOT ( in your very best Herr Flick or possibly Helga accent please)

jugs
10-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Jugs and john:It was a joke for Pete's sake. Don't get your pants in a wad. I never do things like that. I am artistic,not a thug. You,John,are just looking for something to come down on me,and I in an unguarded moment gave it to you. Hurray for you. My first suggestion was the real approach. Calling OSHA is a good one,too.

Sounded serious thugish advice to me (& others)

:eek:

As you are so worried about what people think of you, engage brain before operating fingers, if not just shut up & take the flack - we can't stand the whining. :mad:

gwilson
10-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Jugs,you really do come across pretty vicious yourself in this last post.

I hope to God you never make an error. You would never forgive yourself. You might kill yourself for forgetting to put up a smiley face.

Rosco-P
10-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Though, better yet, get the entire floor wearing dust masks. Fights between employees will make a manager's eyes roll. A room full of employees agreeing to fight management is a whole different level. At that level, money they say doesn't exist can magically appear to fix the problem.

Probably the best suggestion so far. Avoids you becoming the target of management or your co-workers.

uncle pete
10-03-2011, 02:27 PM
:D Maybe I'm the only one that sees the humour in this?

Should we start a thread titled "O.T. How to deal with difficult people who respond to the thread titled" "O.T. How to deal with difficult people at work"
And before anybody gets all pissy, I'm making a joke so lighten up.:D

I'm startin to think we need Airsmith back for some comedy relief.

Pete

John Stevenson
10-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Maybe I'm the only one that sees the humour in this?

Should we start a thread titled "O.T. How to deal with difficult people who respond to the thread titled" "O.T. How to deal with difficult people at work"
And before anybody gets all pissy, I'm making a joke so lighten up.:D

Pete
Sorry I didn't think that was funny.....................

I thought it was freeking hilarious :) :D

Black Forest
10-03-2011, 02:52 PM
I think it should not be allowed to write at the end of a post that what you wrote was a joke. It is much better to read the flames! Those that take all this stuff to heart and get insulted should say so, so we can hammer them some more!!!

I'll drink to that!!!

uncle pete
10-03-2011, 02:57 PM
B/F,
LOL, Damn good point. I oughta go back and edit it. Cheers buddy.

Pete

Mcgyver
10-03-2011, 04:21 PM

Pete

absolutely, and millman. how much can you learn about machining without some good comic relief? The one who i'm glad is gone TMT, he's was just nails on the blackboard tediously annoying. But the Airsmith threads? Good times.

these frequent gwilson dust ups are also good....always leads to half a dozen 'look what i did' threads and he makes some nice stuff :D

gwilson
10-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Please post your look what I did posts. Pictures are fun,and if you never post them,no one gets to see anything interesting,do they? Or,do you just prefer to sit around and blather about whatever?

Black Forest
10-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Mr. Wilson you play nice or I will take away your medications!

uncle pete
10-03-2011, 04:47 PM
McGyver,
Oh yeah I totally agree about Georges work, His worst would no doubt be far better than mine ever will be. And George I know your not 100% health wise.

I've spent my whole working life with large groups of people who are bored with their jobs and litterlly hunt for a target to ride or make a joke. Nothing and no one is safe from them. It's either give back better than you got or move on to another day.

Pete

gwilson
10-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Uncle Pete,I assure you my worst can be pretty bad!

Mcgyver
10-03-2011, 06:34 PM
I assure you my worst can be pretty bad!

a redundant post.

gwilson
10-03-2011, 06:42 PM
What do you mean? What if my worst WASN'T pretty bad? (Not saying it isn't bad) Everyone makes foul ups.

By the way,concern yourself with your own posts.

jdunmyer
10-03-2011, 06:50 PM
To the O.P.:

You're concerned mostly about your health, so wear a dust mask of some sort while the grinder is being operated by the idiot. Doing anything stupid like contacting the OSHA people may not get you fired, but you'll pay for it many times over, believe me.

When/if the boss asks about the mask, I'd be nonchalant about it, and also point out the potential damage to the other machines, as someone else suggested. Then, LET IT GO, don't whine and snivel.

jugs
10-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Jugs,you really do come across pretty vicious yourself in this last post.

I hope to God you never make an error. You would never forgive yourself. You might kill yourself for forgetting to put up a smiley face.

Pretty http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-char023.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) yes

Vicious http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-violent006.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) not yet

Oldbrock
10-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Two simple solutiions. One, grind with coolant, or, Two, put the vacuum outside the shop and wired up to the grinder. Dust and noise gone. Of course you need a collecter hose to the grinder. Peter

BigMike782
10-03-2011, 08:57 PM
To the OP.
I had to wait until my Psycho co-worker retired......whoooooeeeee what a day!
The only thing I can say is keep yourself safe,document everything and make it clear to your supervisor that you inted to do both of the above.Also make sure you follow all the company safety policys so the offender cannot come back at you.

I better get this posted quick before it gets locked.Sounds like cabin fever has set in early......bickering like an old married couple just to have something to do.

914Wilhelm
10-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Have you just tried sitting down with the person and having a non-confrontational conversation? Explain that the dust is hard for you, that it worsens your lung condition, that it irritates your eyes, whatever. Sometimes if you do something like this in the break room, as a one on one, it will be seen by other coworkers and you can gain their respect and in the long term they can help to pressure this guy as well. Try asking the other guy how we can make this situation better. If the noise of the vaccum bugs him that is easily solveable as mentioned previously. If the guy is a disagreeable ass just because it's his nature, his coworkers may see him as one also and slowly rally to help you. You can also slowly start to win over the hearts and minds of the others in the shop. Bring in donuts, give them a hand with setps, help them pick something up, give some advice when it seems appropriate. Be the good guy, not the whiner. Not many like a whiner or stand behind one. Peer pressure can work interesting leverage over time. If you don't have the time or patience for this then you can just go to war. The problem with war is someone looses. Could be him, could be you.

bborr01
10-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Gentlemen,

Let's not forget that we are dealing with grinding dust here, not some guy who plays country music or rush limb. and is just annoying.

I have posted this here before but here we go again. I spent several years near the end of my 28+ year tour in tool and die running all types of grinding equipment. The one thing I would not do is grind without ventilation.

I asked one of my co-workers if he thought the cancer rate was higher among our grinding department than other trades. He told me "the grinders all died of cancer". We started naming names of the cancer deaths in the grinding dept. and quit counting at something over a dozen.

OSHA, act of congress, whatever. THIS $HIT CAN AND WILL KILL YOU.

Brian

Iraiam
10-03-2011, 09:45 PM
It sounds like this guy is a real waste, if the noise from the dist collector bothers him, he should wear ear plugs. He does not have the right to put other peoples health and safety at risk.

Using your own PPE (dust mask, respirator, or whatever is required) would be the easiest option to start with.

Where I work, safety is a big thing, not following all the safety rules will get you fired fast. Is there and HR department there? If a supervisor is unwilling to deal with the problem can you take your issue to HR?

I would also note that you are legally protected against discrimination for contacting OSHA, which really just means you can sue them if they fire you for doing so. but that doesn't mean they can't move you higher up on the list to go in the event of a layoff or something, or any number of other BS moves, OSHA will also keep you anonymous if you request it.

good luck

gwilson
10-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Grinders in the old days (18th.C.) were paid higher wages for their hazardous work,because it was known that they would all die young.

Needle grinders died of "pointer's rot".

And these guys were not even grinding with modern high speed equipment. Just slow turning stones.

A.K. Boomer
10-03-2011, 10:40 PM
If he's putting yours and others life in danger then the gloves come off - he's making you inhale stuff that will eventually kill you - so --- look into his car and make sure his cab recirculation button is off,

then - when he goes to drive home pull in front of him and then mash the accelerator in the lowest gear possible for the speed to get the maximum amount of CFM going through the exhaust system --- imagine his surprise a few hours later when he finds out youv loaded up your muffler with anthrax

----------------------------------------- wait for it

:)

gwilson
10-03-2011, 10:46 PM
A.K.!!!!! HOW COULD you be SO barbaric? I am shaken to the core!!:)

PhilR
10-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the replies, I have a lot to work with here. I won't be doing anything harsh, just looking for a reasonable way to solve the issue without causing further problems. I will work someplace else if I can't reason with the bosses, but with the information and points you guys have provided me with, I don't think it will be a problem by not involving OSHA.
I follow safety rules and keep my workspace clean. I do have a respirator and make use of it anytime I'm using abrasives.

A.K. Boomer
10-03-2011, 10:54 PM
So he's tucked away in the lower left hand corner and hard as hell to see - he's still there smiling away and there's zero editing so he's been there all along,,, knuck knuck knuck...

Max_Power
10-03-2011, 11:17 PM
All the crazy responses here amaze me! People have the guts to go knock someone out with a baseball bat, but not enough to stand up for what they believe, LOL

I honestly am seriously irritated at folks who cant follow rules, Or call those who like to adhere to them "Whiners". Honestly...If you don't agree with rules, petition to have them changed...Don't just break them? It makes about as much sense to me as people who know there is a 4MPH margin on the speed limit so they drive 4MPH over it? If you think it needs to be higher write your congressman or something. Its like saying its ok to steal as long as it is less than $1 :( .

As to the OP...You are definitely afforded multiple protections as a "whistle-blower" if you report it. I would definitely go to the upper management, OSHA, ..The company that writes the insurance policy for the shop, etc. Think about it..You are paid less because Insurance has to pay more health claims because someone doesn't want to follow established REQUIRED BY LAW rules. When this guy gets cancer it is going to come out of YOUR pocket one way or another? If something happens at least youll know you didn't live your life in fear. Usually people who don't have the guts to stand up and point out a robber they witnessed are the same that complain the cops do nothing to stop crime. It is no different than the saying "All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to stand idle" We are getting to be living in a world where we have 10,000 rules that no-one follows where we should have 100 that are stricly enforced. Sheesh! ...Todd

Am I supposed to use this thing for safety? :)

Grind Hard
10-04-2011, 02:25 AM
We have a coffee pot here at work...

Had a fellow who refused to wear masks while grinding also he refused to use the dust collector on the surface-grinders when grinding dry. Nor would he use the dust collector on the softwheel grinders.

Now this fellow was always first in line to get a cuppa, and he would stop working just to get a cup then slowly walk back to his station. This is not a bad thing... I do the same on occasion.

Sick of the grinder dust everywhere I swept some up into a dustpan... enough to fill a coffee scoop. Put that in the filter with a scoop of coffee-grinds...

He took one sip spit the brew out and marched directly into the office. When I was called in I informed them that he used the grinders without a mask or dust collection and the dust was accumulating in the damnedest places.

They checked the video... and sure enough he was in fact grinding without a mask or using the dust collector!

--somehow though the camera that watched the area with the coffeepot was not working that day seems there was a disconnected wire.

He upgraded to a "better shop" shortly thereafter... I'm still here years later.

vpt
10-04-2011, 07:25 AM
All grinders make a little wind, plumb the collector pipe around in a circle so when he is grinding the looped pipe that used to go to the dust collector blows in his face while grinding.

PhilR
10-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Thanks to everyone for your support and advice, things are looking up now. I spoke with the boss and he has taken corrective action by informing everyone about using the dust collector. (verbally and in writing which is posted by the grinders). I thanked him for taking action. The one co-worker thinks I'm a whiner, I don't care, I'm on good terms with everyone else. :)

ak95xj
10-06-2011, 11:38 PM
I hope this works out :) .Same kinda thing at my work with the dust collectors & smoke extractors Signs posted and all, boss yells but the fume hoods still go unused most of the time (noisy and in the way is the biggest complaint)..I use them as much as possible because I have been hacking up a lung.1 guy complains about it nobody else cares,management just seems mad about the thousands of dollars of smoke extractors going unused.I like the idea of wiring it up so it turns on with the machine.That sounds like a good alternative if the rule becomes ignored.Second best idea is throwing the bag of grinding dust on this guy :D

Kiwi
10-07-2011, 12:54 AM
In this day and age we must follow the rules as much as we don,t like too some times but it applies to us all so talk to him,talk to the boss, talk to the union if their is one. Do you have an employment contracts act like we do in NZ I'd be surprised if you didn't, in it the the employer will have to provide a safe environment for you to work in,on pointing that out you should if your complaint is genuine will get an effective response as a law suite would cost more than fixing / replacing the dust extractor as no one wants to go down that road. At the end of the day getting used to wearing dust mask in the work shop is not that hard once you get used to it you don't even notice it we all should do it out of habit it is our old age we must think of. So get in the face of the work shop manager as it is his problem

Last resort apply rule 45 :) :)

jugs
10-07-2011, 03:07 AM
Thanks to everyone for your support and advice, things are looking up now. I spoke with the boss and he has taken corrective action by informing everyone about using the dust collector. (verbally and in writing which is posted by the grinders). I thanked him for taking action. The one co-worker thinks I'm a whiner, I don't care, I'm on good terms with everyone else. :)

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy093.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) Great result http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance006.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) Better to have lungs to whine with, than a bowl to cough them into http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sick006.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Kiwi
10-07-2011, 03:14 AM
In this day and age we must follow the rules as much as we don,t like too some times but it applies to us all so talk to him,talk to the boss, talk to the union if their is one. Do you have an employment contracts act like we do in NZ I'd be surprised if you didn't, in it the the employer will have to provide a safe environment for you to work in,on pointing that out you should if your complaint is genuine will get an effective response as a law suite would cost more than fixing / replacing the dust extractor as no one wants to go down that road. At the end of the day getting used to wearing dust mask in the work shop is not that hard once you get used to it you don't even notice it we all should do it out of habit it is our old age we must think of. So get in the face of the work shop manager as it is his problem

Last resort apply rule 45

Rustybolt
10-07-2011, 09:50 AM
What's a "dust collector?"
What's a "smoke extractor"?
What is , "air conditioning"?
What is, "heat"
I've heard of all these things , but I have never experienced them at work.

John Stevenson
10-07-2011, 11:18 AM
What's a "dust collector?"
What's a "smoke extractor"?
What is , "air conditioning"?
What is, "heat"
I've heard of all these things , but I have never experienced them at work.

Same as a floor, they only exist in the abstract.