PDA

View Full Version : Way OT- Mattresses

rws
10-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Foam, inner spring, air.......which is better? I don't mind spending the money, but I want to do it wisely.

pgmrdan
10-06-2011, 02:41 PM
I swear by Tempur-Pedic. Pricey. She's sleeps much better but now at least I can get some sleep when she can't.

flathead4
10-06-2011, 02:55 PM
In my opinion, the secret to a happy marriage is a king-size bed. Bsides that, I'm not too picky.

Tom

lynnl
10-06-2011, 03:25 PM
I've always been most pleased with Sealy Posturepedic, innerspring. Firm!

But I think this is like the chevy vs ford issue.

Years ago when I had back/sciatica issues, I tried one of the "Select Comfort"
air mattresses. Didn't do a thing for my pain, and I hated the mattress, so sent it back.

Black Forest
10-06-2011, 03:33 PM
I bought a Select Comfort bed with the individually ajustable sides. Basketball player sized! With all the bells and whistles. Best investment I ever made.

Wife likes 45. me 65. That refers to the hardness. Press a button and the bed gets harder or softer. I really like the bed.

garagemark
10-06-2011, 03:35 PM
I swear by my (rather) new inner spring with a thin foam topper (built in). Firm, of course. Just soft enough to cradle me (us) but firm enough to handle the weight. Made by Englander.

dalee100
10-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Hi,

Yep, the Select Comfort with dual controls is worth every penny. It really solves the 'how hard' arguments. And if you have a problem they stand behind their product 100%.

Our air pump quit working just inside the warranty. They next day air shipped a new one free of charge with a return label for the old unit.

dalee

Forestgnome
10-06-2011, 04:01 PM
I have the Tempurpedic adjustable. Great for the back, and also good if you sleep on your belly. The adjustable is why we didn't opt for an air bed like the sleep number. I do like the feel of an air bed, but it's great to tilt the head and feet when needed. Also this has been the longest lasting mattress I've ever had. Most spring mattresses won't last nearly as long as the foam or air, so that needs to be figured into the cost.

jackary
10-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Ever since we had a water bed we have been drifting apart.

Black Forest
10-06-2011, 04:42 PM
My select comfort bed can move into many different positions with just a push of a button.

KIMFAB
10-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Needed a waterbed for my back but found that the temperpedic works great.
On the downside is the cost and it is warmer.

jkilroy
10-06-2011, 06:10 PM
For sleeping, foam. For *entertainment*, inner spring.

aboard_epsilon
10-06-2011, 06:21 PM
They should fill them with corn flour mix ....and have some sort of vibrators embeded in them ..so that you can make it as soft or as hard as you want and in different places ...you could even record youre settings into a computer ..or let it analyze you whilst you sleep ..and let it sort it all out for you .

i hate foam ..whatever you have, temper doesn't spring up fast enough..recover to really find youre neash with it.

foam fights against you ..
as do springs or pocketed springs.

all the best.markj

cuemaker
10-06-2011, 06:25 PM
After an exhaustive research period, wife and I went with Tempurpedic... My wife used to sleep with a body pillow to keep her hips from hurting... body pillow is no longer needed and she no longer has soreness or stiffness when she wakes up.

Friggen expensive, but we are very happy we did it.

Frank Ford
10-06-2011, 07:49 PM
We bought a Dux some years ago, and it's a world apart, although it makes those other "premium" brands seem inexpensive by comparison.

Call it overpriced if you want, but we've used it for almost a dozen years so far and there's no sign of fatigue either in us or any part of the bed. . .

mochinist
10-06-2011, 08:15 PM
We bought a Dux some years ago, and it's a world apart, although it makes those other "premium" brands seem inexpensive by comparison.

Call it overpriced if you want, but we've used it for well over a dozen years so far and there's no sign of fatigue either in us or any part of the bed. . .how much did it cost?

Frank Ford
10-06-2011, 08:29 PM
how much did it cost?

Total for box springs, mattress, top springy thingy, sheets and sales tax was $6172.00 in early February, 2000.

Forestgnome
10-07-2011, 09:58 AM
My select comfort bed can move into many different positions with just a push of a button.
At the time we bought ours Select Comfort didn't have an adjustable. I see they have them now. Looks like the same frame as ours. Ours has the massage, but we never use it other than to put ourselves into a panic when one of us pushes the wrong button in the middle of the night.:eek:

SGW
10-07-2011, 12:48 PM
We've had a Tempurpedic for about 4 years. When it was new we loved it. After 3 years it had lost its body-molding characteristics and was just any old slab of squashy foam. I wasn't impressed. We would like to replace it with something, but can't really decide what.

aboard_epsilon
10-07-2011, 12:57 PM
We've had a Tempurpedic for about 4 years. When it was new we loved it. After 3 years it had lost its body-molding characteristics and was just any old slab of squashy foam. I wasn't impressed. We would like to replace it with something, but can't really decide what.
also on offer at uk aldi this week is one of these

you cant go wrong for 40..giant whooppe cushion :) ....its not like the $6000 that Frank mentioned up there above

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_21039.htm

all the best.markj

boslab
10-07-2011, 04:27 PM
memory foam is a menace, swmbo swears by it. i call it jaws, i wake with a bad back! you cant move about properly, you sink into a groove and wake a paraplegic!, i miss springs
mark

PeteM
10-07-2011, 05:24 PM
One of the best/lowest cost options is to add a 2" or so memory foam topper to an existing firm mattress. The foam conforms, without sinking so far as many complain of for the full-on foam mattresses.

MotorradMike
10-07-2011, 05:30 PM
One of the best/lowest cost options is to add a 2" or so memory foam topper to an existing firm mattress. The foam conforms, without sinking so far as many complain of for the full-on foam mattresses.

Thermarest: 80$
Tent: 200$

Waking up miles from home wondering if the bike will start?
Priceless

mochinist
10-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Total for box springs, mattress, top springy thingy, sheets and sales tax was $6172.00 in early February, 2000.Wow, guess thats why I have never heard of one. :p If its still treating you well it was worth it though.

I have a spring mattress, I forget what brand, nothing special though came from Costco homestore when they still had those here in town. Anyways I hate it, it is only 5 years old and already worn out.

I have had a chance to sleep and play on a temperpedic foam mattress, and without going into to much detail, I found that I didnt like it for having fun with the wife.:p There was no bounce back, made it hard to keep a good rhythm going.

John Stevenson
10-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Total for box springs, mattress, top springy thingy, sheets and sales tax was $6172.00 in early February, 2000.

Bloody hell get a Bridgeport for that price and it's about as firm.

sasquatch
10-07-2011, 09:56 PM
I,ll take a plain old mattress anyday (or night,) Heck, even one filled with nice clean straw or even dry leaves will be fine.:D

J. Randall
10-07-2011, 10:18 PM
I've always been most pleased with Sealy Posturepedic, innerspring. Firm!

But I think this is like the chevy vs ford issue.

Years ago when I had back/sciatica issues, I tried one of the "Select Comfort"
air mattresses. Didn't do a thing for my pain, and I hated the mattress, so sent it back.

I bought one of those on the advice of a Dr., never spent one comfortable night the 5 yrs. I slept on it, then found out I had spinal arthritis instead of a bad back. The last few yrs. I have found that a good brand with a pillow top is best for me. Whatever works for the individual buy quality, in beds and footwear, if you are not in one, you are in the other.
James

914Wilhelm
10-08-2011, 01:31 AM
Wow, guess thats why I have never heard of one. :p If its still treating you well it was worth it though.

I have a spring mattress, I forget what brand, nothing special though came from Costco homestore when they still had those here in town. Anyways I hate it, it is only 5 years old and already worn out.

I have had a chance to sleep and play on a temperpedic foam mattress, and without going into to much detail, I found that I didnt like it for having fun with the wife.:p There was no bounce back, made it hard to keep a good rhythm going.

Wow! TMI I don't know if I can get that image out of my head!