X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Evan
    • May 2003

OT: Satellite malfunction

The Anik F2 satellite that provides my internet access decided to shut off and pout for 36 hours. For reasons unknown on 6:30 am Wednesday it turned off, went into safe mode and rotated to point at the sun instead of at the Earth. That ensures it gets enough solar power but of course it also stops all traffic except for the low gain antenna control link.

Anik F2 was launched in 2004 and is owned by the Canadian company Telesat. When it went off line a huge number of people were affected including about 1/2 million internet subscribers on Wild Blue, Hughes and Galaxy Broadband. It shut down some ATMs, some news wires, Shaw Satellite TV, TV backhauls for programming content and news feeds, Airports in northern Canada, schools in remote areas, weather information, Bank data transfers and much more.

Fortunately they were able to control it and restart the system. That take at least 24 hours to allow time for the satellite to return to normal pointing. That is usually done by using flywheels so it is a slow process.

I now have my internet service back along with all the other users of the data services it provides.

It brings up a very big question though. What the heck is plan B?

The unfortunate thing about this "anomaly" is they say they have no idea what caused it. That is not a good thing. I am a firm believer in the idea that machines do not fix themselves unless explicitly designed to do so.

If that satellite croaks for good it will be a very big problem for a large number of people and businesses as well as governments. It is one of the largest and most powerful communications satellites in the sky with the possible exception of some military hardware.

If Anik F2 goes down for good the cost will be in the multi-billions and it will takes years to replace the capacity.

This isn't your ordinary comm satellite. It has a total raw bandwidth of 7.3 gigahertz not including compression techniques. Including the solar panels it is about 150 ft wide and weighs about 6.5 tons.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here
  • EddyCurr
    • May 2009

Oops - already mentioned by Evan in his second sentence.

Comment

• PixMan
      • Sep 2009

How did a satellite that big get there in the first place? Was that a Delta 2 lift or a Shuttle mission?

I would think that the incident should be enough to get Plan B into the planning stages.

Comment

• John Stevenson
        • Mar 2001

Originally posted by Evan

Fortunately they were able to control it and restart the system. That take at least 24 hours to allow time for the satellite to return to normal pointing. That is usually done by using flywheels so it is a slow process.

It brings up a very big question though. What the heck is plan B?
        One of those rope starts like on a lawnmower ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• Evan
          • May 2003

It was launched on an Aérienne 5. One thought occurs to me; If "they" can develop telescopes powerful enough the sure way to find inhabited (or formerly inhabited) planets is to look for a ring of garbage at approximately the geosynchronous orbit. These orbits are forever, they will never decay.

Comment

• MotorradMike
            • Nov 2009

CBC news reported the problem as a software bug in a recently applied upgrade.
            Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

• Evan
              • May 2003

If so then they were very lucky. The Russians managed to permanently turn off one of their comm satellites the same way a while back.

Sounds like there is more than one bug. The spacecraft simulator should have caught it.

Comment

• JoeLee
                • Aug 2009

Either the Russians hacked it or it's going to be loaned to China.

JL.............

Comment

• Evan
                  • May 2003

One would assume that the password isn't "password".

Comment

• JoeLee
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Evan
                    One would assume that the password isn't "password".
                    No, that would be too easy........ it's probably something like "welcome guest"

JL...............

Comment

• jkilroy
                      • Oct 2001

root
                      root

James Kilroy

Comment

• Arcane
                        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                        One of those rope starts like on a lawnmower ?
                        That's the way a man hating nurse removed my garden hose sized catheter...

Comment

• precisionmetal
                          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by MotorradMike
                          CBC news reported the problem as a software bug in a recently applied upgrade.
                          Maybe it's running on Windows ME.

This might provide some comfort Evan: http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/08/v...ng-high-speed/

Comment

• lynnl
                            • Jan 2002

This raises the question: How many countries now have satellite launching capability? How much of it is done commercially?

I've never heard of Canadian launches, so assume this one (Canadian owned) was done under contract. ...or am I wrong?
                            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

• Evan
                              • May 2003

Canada doesn't have a rocket program all though we have an advanced aerospace capability. Some major players are located here. The first domestic geostationary communications satellite, Anik A, was developed in Canada by Telesat. About 20% of it was built in Canada. It was launched by the US on a Thor Delta in 1972. Out of necessity Canada has always been a leader in communications. The telephone was invented by a Canadian and so was long range radio.

Comment

Working...
                              X