PDA

View Full Version : attempting to recondition a old buzz saw

davidh
10-09-2011, 05:54 PM
a great barn find. . . an old angle iron frame buzz saw, looks like it was commerically made probably back in the early 1900's. babbit bearings for the arbor, big cast pulley for the belt and a herendous square nut and washer to hold the blade. (i found a new blade in the guys barn and got that too, its 28 inches in diameter and never cut anything)

i have removed the babbit caps and shims and the shaft assembly is now off . its very rusty and very pitted from sitting outside for more than 50 years. it needs repairing for sure and the babbit also needs replacing. soooo:

has anyone on the forum ever taken one of these shafts apart, i mean there's a large washer that the blade pushes up against that appears to be against a shoulder of the shaft. i don't want to ruin it by hitting with a deadblow hammer so im guessing i need to press it off with my hydraulic press. . . not a major problem as long as i know that it should come off. but:

the pulley has a square key appearently driven in from the outside of the shaft, as the keyway is not visable from the inside of the pulley, just the shaft keyseat is there. is this probably a tapered key that should have had a gib head on it for removal but someone forgot the gib head part ? or do i need to make some sort of driver to try to drive it out from the back side of the pulley where there is only the shaft keyway showing ? i hate to overforce anything, my press is s 40 ton air over hydraulic and probably push it off but ruin it in the process. so, next:

is it difficult to pour new babbit bearings ? i can kinda visualize how to pour but there must be some tricks to it or anyone could do it. . . has any of you done it and would be willing to share information ? i will google it when im done with this posting but like i said, there are tricks that are usually unpublished.

any help or information would be deeply appriciated. im excited to make it work.

thanks in advance,
davidh

wierdscience
10-09-2011, 06:38 PM
The saw husk (inner saw washer)can be either pressed on or shrink fitted in place,it can also be pinned on.It would help if we had a picture of it.

Babbiting isn't that difficult once you understand what to do and why.Here's a good video on the Tube,there are several more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZh2VZbqQiI

alcova
10-09-2011, 07:10 PM
I had to make a new shaft for what I think your talking about and the flange for it was a taper on the shaft that I had to replicate

Walt

jdunmyer
10-09-2011, 07:34 PM
You can sometimes remove a gib key by drilling and tapping the end, inserting a screw/bolt and prying on the head. Heat on the pulley will probably help.

The "fast collar" is probably shrunk onto the shaft, perhaps pinned also. Again, I'd try some heat before getting too carried away with the press. At worst, it's not a big deal to make a new shaft from scratch. The nut is probably a RH thread, so it's not a big deal to cut threads. (Actually, it's probably easier to cut LH threads...)

When you get it going, be very, very careful and think about your procedure and how you stand, hold your hands and the wood to be cut, etc.

Mike Burdick
10-09-2011, 09:27 PM
The old buzz saw was one dangerous animal. If you choose to use it, make sure you update it with proper guards!

Here's an example you can follow... I'd start with the blade you have and ditch everything else. A good SAFE buzz saw can be very handy!

http://www.newhavenpower.com/Woodsman250_Buzz_Saw.html

http://www.newhavenpower.com/Buzz_Saw_Tray_Blade.jpg

Bob Fisher
10-09-2011, 10:39 PM
When I was a kid,growing up in Michigan's UP,there were many home built buzz saws on the backs of model A Fords driven by a belt from one rear wheel.Don't ever recall a mishap, but I was very young then. I can vividly recall the sound of those saws as they put away a winters supply of firewood. They would cut off all the body to the cowl and drive the machine to the work site. Pretty was not part of the equation. Bob.

Don Young
10-09-2011, 11:17 PM
I would certainly consider making a new shaft slightly oversize in the bearing areas if that would eliminate the need for new bearings.

v860rich
10-09-2011, 11:46 PM
I was just looking at the one I drug home a couple years ago wondering how to get it apart.
I think I get it now!!!

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr296/v860rich/BUZZSAWIV.jpg

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr296/v860rich/BUZZSAWI.jpg

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Arcane
10-10-2011, 02:30 AM
I bought an old buzz saw like that for $5 a couple of years ago, although with a slightly smaller diameter blade than yours. It had ball bearings supporting the mandrel which fortunately were in excellent condition and a double groove pulley drive. I gave it to a friend who lives on an acreage and who heats his house (partly) and shop (totally) with wood. He did a bit of rebuilding to the tray and to the engine mount which now holds an old cast iron B&S 8 hp engine. After cutting wood with a chainsaw, he LOVES this buzz saw! Much cheaper to operate and he can cut a lot more in the same amount of time with less overall effort.

It`s definitely a dangerous machine to be around; you better keep your wits about you and mind on the job when sawing with them! When I was a kid in school half a century ago, one of my bus drivers was a one armed man. He lost his arm to one just above the elbow when he was a kid and accidentally tripped and fell into it. Besides the fact that he was lucky not to have been killed instantly, when you consider the year it happened and the medical facilities at the time, he`s lucky to have survived.