PDA

View Full Version : New Lube coolant applicator?

gunsmither
10-09-2011, 05:34 PM
http://www.swiftcarb.com/Catalog63.html

Does anyone here use, or have experience with the New Lube brand coolant misters? Opinions about quality of product and suitability for a CNC mill appreciated. Thanks! Joe

SGW
10-09-2011, 08:11 PM
It certainly looks good.... The $255 price for the most basic model is pretty good, too. Based on not much, I don't see why it wouldn't work with CNC, especially if you got one of the fancier models with electric relay on/off control.
I have no idea of the quality, though.

Sparky_NY
10-14-2011, 08:31 AM
I have that exact one on my cnc bridgeport in the garage. It works fantastic. The special cutting oils for it are very expensive but last a long long time. I do find that milling steel it produces a lot of smoke. It functions not as a coolant system but rather lubricating the cutter slightly.

Check out the pricing on the cutting oil, as I recall its about $85 a gallon but a gallon can last years in a home shop.

DFMiller
10-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Looks interesting, the real question is does it form a mist or not.
Mist is not good from what I read.
If it works the price looks good.
More feedback is appreciated.
Dave

RTPBurnsville
10-14-2011, 01:52 PM
If you are looking for a minimal coolant, non-fog system try this:

http://www.unist.com/machinecutting/MQL/index.htm

Trico also has a micro-drop system. These are not cheap systems, but very nice.

Robert

DFMiller
10-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Robert,
Thanks for that link.
So which units have you used. They seem to have more than one type. Any ballpark on pricing?
Thanks
Dave

gunsmither
10-14-2011, 03:03 PM
I have that exact one on my cnc bridgeport in the garage. It works fantastic. The special cutting oils for it are very expensive but last a long long time. I do find that milling steel it produces a lot of smoke. It functions not as a coolant system but rather lubricating the cutter slightly.

Check out the pricing on the cutting oil, as I recall its about $85 a gallon but a gallon can last years in a home shop.

Thanks for the info Sparky_NY. Do they require the use of their lube products only? Thanks!

Sparky_NY
10-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the info Sparky_NY. Do they require the use of their lube products only? Thanks!

Of course they say to use only their product like many companies do. It is a pretty special blend but there is another product " coollube 2210" that I have always used and appears identical in specs if not better.

It is not a mister or fogger, it functions as a micro drop system. The industry catchword I found is MQL systems, minimum quantity lubricant. The theory is that it functions as a super cutting oil rather than a coolant, less cutting friction means less heat generated. The theory seems to work. I do a fair amount of cnc aluminum milling at high removal rates and never have any issues and great finishes. I normally run between 10-15 psi of air with it and it does not consume a lot of air. The air does a nice job of clearing chips and I am sure cools things somewhat also.

Eagle_view
10-17-2011, 02:07 AM
It is not a mister or fogger, it functions as a micro drop system. The industry catchword I found is MQL systems, minimum quantity lubricant. The theory is that it functions as a super cutting oil rather than a coolant, less cutting friction means less heat generated. The theory seems to work. I do a fair amount of cnc aluminum milling at high removal rates and never have any issues and great finishes. I normally run between 10-15 psi of air with it and it does not consume a lot of air. The air does a nice job of clearing chips and I am sure cools things somewhat also.

Sparky_NY describes it well, I started using a New Lube System not quite a year ago on both my CNC mill and my manual lathe. I like it really well. I got it to use on the Haas CNC Mill as an alternative to the standard flood coolant. On a whim one night I moved it to the Grizzly where I have been turning smoother barrels and have longer insert life. Moving this system from machine to machine is easy as everything is attached with magnets execpt for the quick release airhose.

SwiftCarb has developed some very interesting and progressive endmills for CNC use. I must confess that I do use a lot of SwiftCarb tooling for production mill work because they have reduced my tooling costs substantially even though the cost per Endmill was higher than what I was paying before. Some of these new coating on Carbide end mills last longer when not subjected to rapid heating and cooling that happens when an endmill flute exits the cut and is hit by the flood of coolant while cutting steel. The New Lube Systems seems to work very well for adding just enough cutting fluid to keep the carbides cutting very nicely for extended periods of time. HSS Lathe bits will benefit from the New Lube system as well

I also like to use the New lube System when I am manually controlling the Milling Machine as I can see where I am cutting much easier than when using the flood coolant.

Lowell
Eagle View Arms

Steve Seebold
10-17-2011, 02:23 AM
The price of the unit isn't too bad, but the liquid is outragious.

Sparky_NY
10-17-2011, 08:02 AM
The price of the unit isn't too bad, but the liquid is outragious.

I found coolube 2210ep online for $85 a gallon. Although it seems crazy it does last forever. I fill the hopper about once a year. There is consumption info on their brochures, it is something like 1oz per 8 hours of operating. So roughly, 128oz per gallon x 8 hours is somewhere around 1024 hours of operation per gallon. Does not sound so bad now does it?

Sad part is it only comes in gallon sizes or larger. A quart would be the ticket or hobby use.

It is vegetable oil based with "additives".