PDA

View Full Version : in search of a metal shaper

bvd1940
10-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Looking for a metal shaper like a Ammco 7, any of you chipmakers have knowledge of any for sale/trade?
Need not be in perfect condition but restore-able or better condition.:p

Al Messer
10-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Check Yahoo Shaper Group for contacts.

Al

uncle pete
10-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Bill,
Your location puts you in a machine tool vacuum for pretty well anything, A shaper of that make/size will be even tougher to find. I screwed around for almost 20 years looking for a South Bend 7". Any that I found were I thought at the time, Too pricey, Located too far away, etc. I should have just paid for one of the higher dollar ones that were in top condition. They were much cheaper 20 years ago than they are now. I ended up buying an ok condition S/B thru Craigslist in Tacoma Washington a couple of years ago. I had to pay for a rental truck to go get it, Fuel, Time, Border Crossing, Taxes,(A 1/2 hour interrogation by Canaduh Customs about what exactly I was doing with this equipment and if I would be reselling it cause they didn't know what the hell it was or what it did.) And it still really should be rebuilt. Plus I think I paid too much. BUT, It seems like Shapers of that size really hold their prices. And from what I've seen are slowly moving up in dollars every year due to demand since you can't just go buy a new one. Unless you really luck out unlike me, There isn't any good deals left on small shapers. I only know a bit about small shapers, And more specificly a little bit about South Bend shapers. It's my understanding and more knowlegeable people should correct this, But the 7" South Bend WITH the internal oil pump option was supposedly the best built shaper to buy in that size range. With more luck than knowlege my S/B has that option.

If you've got a large enough shop, spare room, and a concrete floor with easy access to move heavier equipment into it. Then if it were me, I'd wouldn't hesitate to look for something like a 10"-12" shaper. Usually their cheaper and obviously have more power and capacity. Do a search on this forum, There's been some recent posts about larger 10"-12" shapers that I'd love to own and use if my shop would work for those. If your like me with a small shop, No room and no concrete floor, Then your stuck with trying to find a small shaper. Ebay,Craigslist, Local papers, Join some shaper forums, Post some WTBs on those forums giving your location. Something will turn up. But one way or another freight costs are going to be something you'll probably want to forget about after you've bought it unless your really lucky.
One piece of advice I'll mention is make damn sure to buy a machine that's complete. With a vice and NO missing parts. Luckily my S/B was.

I wanted a small Atlas horizontal mill, I bought one last year knowing it had a few missing parts from Berkley California thru Craigslist, Had it truck shipped up to southern B.C. Canaduh, The mill was listed incorrectly as being a MFC model. It's an MFB and I'm still trying to find the 4 rare and almost impossible to find parts to convert it to use the MFC outboard vertical spindle support. The gear/pulley guards were also missing from my mill. I just found both guards on Ebay last week after almost a year of looking. By the time this horizontal mill is competely rebuilt, (Not a new paint job but a proper to original factory specs regrinding for accuracy condition) and with all the missing parts I need and want, It's going to be a much larger dollar amount than I'd really want to think about. But hey, This hobby is still cheaper than golf.................probably,maybe,I think that's right?

I didn't type any of the above to try and talk you out of buying a shaper but maybe this might save you a few bucks. Their a great tool that will do some jobs much better than a vertical mill, Or even a some jobs that a vertical mill can't do in normal OEM equipped condition. Maybe? some of this helped you.

Pete

spinrow
10-10-2011, 10:36 PM
I've got a Logan floor model shaper that I am considering on selling. I will have to lookup the model number. The only thing that I'm aware of that is missing is the brass dove tail piece that advances the cutter automatically. I am also considering selling my over-arm horizontal milling machine. I'm located in Indiana. Thanks Paul

bvd1940
10-12-2011, 01:14 AM
Bill,
Your location puts you in a machine tool vacuum for pretty well anything, A shaper of that make/size will be even tougher to find. I screwed around for almost 20 years looking for a South Bend 7". Any that I found were I thought at the time, Too pricey, Located too far away, etc. I should have just paid for one of the higher dollar ones that were in top condition. They were much cheaper 20 years ago than they are now. I ended up buying an ok condition S/B thru Craigslist in Tacoma Washington a couple of years ago. I had to pay for a rental truck to go get it, Fuel, Time, Border Crossing, Taxes,(A 1/2 hour interrogation by Canaduh Customs about what exactly I was doing with this equipment and if I would be reselling it cause they didn't know what the hell it was or what it did.) And it still really should be rebuilt. Plus I think I paid too much. BUT, It seems like Shapers of that size really hold their prices. And from what I've seen are slowly moving up in dollars every year due to demand since you can't just go buy a new one. Unless you really luck out unlike me, There isn't any good deals left on small shapers. I only know a bit about small shapers, And more specificly a little bit about South Bend shapers. It's my understanding and more knowlegeable people should correct this, But the 7" South Bend WITH the internal oil pump option was supposedly the best built shaper to buy in that size range. With more luck than knowlege my S/B has that option.

If you've got a large enough shop, spare room, and a concrete floor with easy access to move heavier equipment into it. Then if it were me, I'd wouldn't hesitate to look for something like a 10"-12" shaper. Usually their cheaper and obviously have more power and capacity. Do a search on this forum, There's been some recent posts about larger 10"-12" shapers that I'd love to own and use if my shop would work for those. If your like me with a small shop, No room and no concrete floor, Then your stuck with trying to find a small shaper. Ebay,Craigslist, Local papers, Join some shaper forums, Post some WTBs on those forums giving your location. Something will turn up. But one way or another freight costs are going to be something you'll probably want to forget about after you've bought it unless your really lucky.
One piece of advice I'll mention is make damn sure to buy a machine that's complete. With a vice and NO missing parts. Luckily my S/B was.

I wanted a small Atlas horizontal mill, I bought one last year knowing it had a few missing parts from Berkley California thru Craigslist, Had it truck shipped up to southern B.C. Canaduh, The mill was listed incorrectly as being a MFC model. It's an MFB and I'm still trying to find the 4 rare and almost impossible to find parts to convert it to use the MFC outboard vertical spindle support. The gear/pulley guards were also missing from my mill. I just found both guards on Ebay last week after almost a year of looking. By the time this horizontal mill is competely rebuilt, (Not a new paint job but a proper to original factory specs regrinding for accuracy condition) and with all the missing parts I need and want, It's going to be a much larger dollar amount than I'd really want to think about. But hey, This hobby is still cheaper than golf.................probably,maybe,I think that's right?

I didn't type any of the above to try and talk you out of buying a shaper but maybe this might save you a few bucks. Their a great tool that will do some jobs much better than a vertical mill, Or even a some jobs that a vertical mill can't do in normal OEM equipped condition. Maybe? some of this helped you.

Pete
Thanks for the info, a very informative post, I had one located in MD but the shipping quote was as much as the shaper and the guy did not sound to eager to pack it up for shipping & no vice.:mad:
Oh well I guess I will have a new hobby searching for a SB 7 now :D
I have some jobs I would like to use a shaper on a it would be a lot easier and quicker to do.:D

bvd1940
10-12-2011, 01:17 AM
Thanks Paul for the offer but I live in SE Idaho and shipping from Indiana would be expensive from what I have been told.

uncle pete
10-12-2011, 01:36 AM
Bill,
I'll keep an eye out for one and let you know if I find anything.

Pete