PDA

View Full Version : Multiple bars from Plate or Bar

Magnum164
10-09-2011, 11:10 PM
I made a few of these parts to prototype from .15 plate. Only problem is I can see a lot of waste from the material around the parts as well as what is needed for clamping. Machining time was not to bad.

For something like this would it make more sense to to get some bar stock and machine the link and width and legs, then just the pieces with a band saw (6mm thick). Only thing would be a problem cutting the holes in the corners as for now I am drilling them before I cut to keep the drill from wandering.

Looking to reduce some waste if possible and hopefully costs.

P.S... The chatter marks are from trying to drop from a plate. Ended up having to use a dremel.. So that is known issues:)
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h15/kd4vcu/Mobile%20Uploads/2011-10-09_21-34-13_394.jpg

macona
10-09-2011, 11:35 PM
I made a few of these parts to prototype from .15 plate. Only problem is I can see a lot of waste from the material around the parts as well as what is needed for clamping. Machining time was not to bad.

For something like this would it make more sense to to get some bar stock and machine the link and width and legs, then just the pieces with a band saw (6mm thick). Only thing would be a problem cutting the holes in the corners as for now I am drilling them before I cut to keep the drill from wandering.

Looking to reduce some waste if possible and hopefully costs.

P.S... The chatter marks are from trying to drop from a plate. Ended up having to use a dremel.. So that is known issues:)
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h15/kd4vcu/Mobile%20Uploads/2011-10-09_21-34-13_394.jpg

Just have them laser cut. Its really not that expensive.

-Jerry

lakeside53
10-10-2011, 12:20 AM
... or water jet.

Magnum164
10-10-2011, 05:27 PM
I have about $20 in material for for these parts. Where can I get these laser or water cut for that price?

I should probably clarify my question in that I want to make these quicker and more efficient on my existing CNC machine.

Evan
10-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Buy rectangular bar and weld on tabs.

John Stevenson
10-10-2011, 06:17 PM
If I have read this correctly and the width of the plate is 6 mm wide this makes the length about 36mm ? in 0.15 plate I would be expecting to pay about 25 pence each in anything like quantity for laser cutting.

Toolguy
10-10-2011, 06:24 PM
I would get some bar stock as close to the finished size as possible. Cut it to lengths on the bandsaw, maybe 1/8" long and mill the parts to thickness in the mill vise with parallels or step jaws. Then make up a fixture plate a little longer and 2 or 3 inches wider than the part. Make a backgage on the plate with 2 dowel pins or a straight piece of material. Set the straight side of the part against the backgage and clamp in 2 or 3 places with finger clamps. Then you can mill the other 3 sides of the part uninterrupted to cut it to length and profile. You may want to do .030 or .050 at a time on depth. Be sure to have a finish cut after you are through the part.

aboard_epsilon
10-10-2011, 06:25 PM
think hes after a program that puts as many of those shapes on a piece of plate as possible orientating them so leaves room for the cutting...sort of jigsaw program

all the best.markj

John Stevenson
10-10-2011, 07:10 PM
VCarve has a nesting facility, it also has tabs so the pieces stay together.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/hsm_nest.jpg

Still cheaper to get laser cut unless the quantity / time frame means it's viable to knife and fork it.

PixMan
10-10-2011, 07:50 PM
I was going to suggesting tight nesting for water jet, laser, or plasma cutting. Sir John has beat me to it.

mike4
10-10-2011, 09:27 PM
I was going to suggesting tight nesting for water jet, laser, or plasma cutting. Sir John has beat me to it.

I agree with plasma ,waterjet ,laser even for small quantities as these seem to be mostly straight lines and easily nested to minimize waste.
Michael

Magnum164
10-10-2011, 09:30 PM
I agree with plasma ,waterjet ,laser even for small quantities as these seem to be mostly straight lines and easily nested to minimize waste.
Michael

Any body have a place in the U.S. that can give me a quote on these laser cut or plasma cut. Lets just see how much cheaper they are.

lakeside53
10-10-2011, 09:34 PM
We have at least 50 place locally (Seattle area) that laser or water-jet cut, but you should find one in your neighborhood.

wierdscience
10-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Any body have a place in the U.S. that can give me a quote on these laser cut or plasma cut. Lets just see how much cheaper they are.

Laser cutting services in Alabama-

http://www.globalspec.com/local/4237/AL