PDA

View Full Version : OT: Computer printer ink cartridge?

Black Forest
10-10-2011, 05:13 AM
I have a Epson printer. It now is telling me I must use Official ink cartridges. I use the Epson ink cartridges. Is there someway to reset a printer some how?

Epson S20 is the model.

jugs
10-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Bin the Epson cartridges, get one of THESE (http://www.inkexpress.co.uk/catalogue/Ink-Systems/Epson/Stylus-S20.html) - much cheaper to run :D

wierdscience
10-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Try here-

http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-reset-an-epson-printer-cartridge.html

johnnyd
10-10-2011, 02:24 PM
CAUTION....do your homework before buying discount ink cartridges or refilling your own.
Some printers use dye based inks & some use pigmented inks for a more water resistant product. Interchanging the two may give you some very unsatisfactory results. :mad:

Evan
10-10-2011, 02:29 PM
You are in Europe. It is illegal in the EEU to prevent printer cartridges from being refilled. All cartridges must be refillable and the vendor may not use means to require only their product be used.

Check with a local supplier of refills.

Mcostello
10-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Evan, Is that true of American models also?

knedvecki
10-10-2011, 10:56 PM
I use this place for my Canon cartidges with their chip resetter and it works GOOD!

http://www.inkproducts.com/ink-store441/

Evan
10-10-2011, 11:48 PM
Evan, Is that true of American models also?

Not quite. However, Lexmark lost their case against the providers of replacement cartridge chips so they are legally available. However, they don't have to make the cartridge refillable or reusable. That was done in Europe for environmental reasons. The Lexmark case isn't entirely closed and they are also going after other companies that make replacement compatible cartridges. In the US this sort of thing can go on forever so don't expect to see a clear cut ruling in any of this unless congress changes the relevant laws. Based on the way congress seems to operate I doubt that will happen.

I should note that I bought an HP colour laser printer last Christmas and it is an international model. It has an internal setting which makes it ignore the cartridge empty chip entirely. This is Canada though and it may not be the same in the US. I told it to ignore the "black ink empty" warning several months ago and it still prints just fine.

Circlip
10-11-2011, 05:45 AM
CISS is the way to go for Epson printers, the cartridge should be marked to tell you whether it's Dye or Pigment based ink. Idealy you should use CISS from new cos one "Problem" with all the inkjet systems to a greater (as is the case with Epson) or lesser extent is the cleaning cycle which pumps ink through the nozzles to clean them.

If your machine is chucking the use genuine cartridges message out, I wonder how long before the "Bits need replacing by your friendly Epson service depot" screen appears. This is when the service dept tells you that the waste ink pads need replacing and costs more than the replacement cost of the printer. Reason?, when the ink is flushed through the jets,(every time you switch the printer on), it is pumped into the bottom of the case which has some thick white absorbent pads there. If you look vertically downwards in the top of the printer, you will probably see a black felt pad there. This is because the white one has absorbed the ink and the countdown has started. Because the pads are so effective, by the time the dire warning message comes up, there is still time to reset the electronic "Mechanical" counter but repeated resets may lead to ink overspilling the pads and leaving a stain below the printer.

Easy way round this is to not only fit a CISS unit, but also a waste ink collecter, basically an extension tube from the pump to a leak proof container which can be emptied periodically. You will be surprised just how much you are throwing away.

No connection with the following supplier, just a happy customer.

http://www.octoink.co.uk/pages/About-Waste-ink.html

Regards Ian.

jugs
10-11-2011, 03:44 PM
The CISS unit I have on my RX585 cost 1.20 less than the set of 6 cartridges, in the last 3yrs it has printed 1000s of multi colour pages & is still 1/2 full, except black which is 1/3.

Every 8-10 weeks I get a printer message saying cartridges need replacing (I'm told it counts characters printed & auto flags message, not measure actual ink levels ) All I do is open top of printer press the reset button on the CISS print head & carry on printing :)

A set of CISS refill inks 600ml cost 28 :D
A set of Epson 19mil cartridges = 53 :eek:

A no brainer ;)

http://www.cityinkexpress.co.uk/ciss/epson/rx585/rx-series/dye-ink

motorcyclemac
10-11-2011, 03:55 PM
I have a Brother multi function machine. I took one of my cartridges apart. I was amazed at the size of the ink volume inside. That 3" square cartridge only had a tank that was 3/4 x 1 x 1/4 in size. What does that hold...maybe 2 table spoons of ink. IF the cartridge was FULL, as in a tank the size if the whole cartridge it would last a LONG time. I have since switched to a toner machine that will run 5000 sheets per cartridge rather than a couple hundred from the ink jet. The Ink printer companies are in the cartridge business NOT the printer business.

macona
10-11-2011, 04:40 PM
I just use a color laser. No dyes, no carts to dry out, no heads to plug if I dont use it often.