PDA

View Full Version : Wooden "steam" engine

Bob Fisher
10-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Anyone here built the wood engine in the HSM magazine about 10 yrs ago? If so ,how were your results? mine will run quite happily on about 3 or4 PSI in the winter, but binds when the humidity picks up, in spite of the air conditioning. Would be interesting to see the choices of woods used for which parts. I used Coco Bolo (sp?) for mine paying particular attention to the grain orientation for the piston and cylinder. still the humidity rules. at least I know why real engines are not made of wood. Bob.

Chris S.
10-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Bob, I'd love to see some pics of this. ;)

Chris S.
10-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Oops, forgot to mention that Lignum Vitae is the hardest and densest wood on earth. It was used for prop shaft bearings and still may be. The stuff is so hard that it will polish like metal. Desert Ironwood is a close second and cousin I think.

Chris

Bob Fisher
10-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Chris, I will try and post some pics of the engine running, but am computer challenged. Haven't mastered posting pics on this forum. Bob.

lynnl
10-11-2011, 12:39 PM
One of the hardest woods here in Nth America is dogwood. Don't know just how stable it is.
Of course any wood will still be prone to swelling somewhat with high humidity.

Chester
10-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Chris, I will try and post some pics of the engine running, but am computer challenged. Haven't mastered posting pics on this forum. Bob.

Easiest way is with these guys, no accoint is needed just post away.

http://imageshack.us/

Chris S.
10-11-2011, 06:06 PM
One of the hardest woods here in Nth America is dogwood.

Do ya know why it's named Dogwood?

gary350
10-11-2011, 07:42 PM
I built a polish wood burning stove out of scrap plywood once. The first fire I built the entire stove burnt up. I wish I had gotton that on video. I have a picture of it somewhere.

aboard_epsilon
10-11-2011, 07:54 PM
I built a polish wood burning stove out of scrap plywood once. The first fire I built the entire stove burnt up. I wish I had gotton that on video. I have a picture of it somewhere.

you mean an Irish wood burning stove :D

all the best.markj