PDA

View Full Version : Radiator cores?

wierdscience
10-12-2011, 02:28 AM
Got a problem,obsolete radiator on a forklift.No replacements anywhere tanks too far gone to reuse and core thinks it's a lawn sprinkler.Looked for a universal fit from Jegs etc and nothing small enough is availible.

So,if I could find a core I could fab my own tanks and connections and solder up my own.

Only problem is finding a supplier for the core.Any clues?

Slick
10-12-2011, 03:16 AM
I donít know how many shops are in your particular area Ė but have you called around to see if there are any shops that can make a core to your specification?

I just ask because a friend of mine was able to get a 4-core replacement made to fit in place where a maximum 3-core radiator was stock. The shop he approached was versed in building custom radiators for hot-rodders and it seemed to be nothing special for them to build one. It did cost more though..

DFMiller
10-12-2011, 03:31 AM
Could you rework a heater core?
Dave

big job
10-12-2011, 05:41 AM
I ran into that before and used a heater core from a school bus from the
junkyard and also grabbed an expansion tank from some rice burner to fill
it. And also you are not limited as the orig. location it can be on the roof,
anywhere as long as its mounted a little higher than the engine block.

hemmjo
10-12-2011, 07:04 AM
Auto Salvage yard is a good place to start. Find one that has a core larger than what you need. Unsolder the tanks. use a saw to cut the core down to size. Cut the tanks down by cutting the center out. Typically tanks have "ridges and valleys"in the sheet metal so if you cut it right the valley will slip into the ridge so you will have a lap joint to braze together.

Find a local Hot Rod group, or join one online. Lots of Good Ole Boy hot rodders have done this kind of thing.

I assume you have checked for places like this online >>

http://www.completeradiators.com/

They have a "contact us" section. Send them your size requirements, possibly that will have something that will work you will not have to resize.

Good Luck,

John

gld
10-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Will one of these work.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=&byKeyword=yes&search=radiator

wierdscience
10-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Slick,there are two shops in town,both send them out for rebuild,new cores on old tanks,problem here is the tanks are down to paper thin,so basically I have nothing to work with.One did quote me a price on a core about the same size to do what I need,$950 for a 15x17"core sounds a bit steep.

DFMiller & big job,good idea,gonna look into that today.

hemmjo,got feelers out,but it's not looking good.The local salvage yards don't keep anything older than 10 years or so,everything is plastic tanked or single cored too which doesn't help.

gld,saw those,all are too big.This radiator is pretty small,it fits up in the counterweight,only measures 17x22 overall zero room to spare and odd shaped tanks just to make it more fun.:(

firbikrhd1
10-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Have you considered a radiator for a water cooled motorcycle? They are about the size you need and may be available at a motorcycle wrecking yard.

BigMike782
10-12-2011, 12:59 PM
What about an aluminum one geared toward hot rod/racing use?
I would suspect they can be had in any configuration needed.

wierdscience
10-12-2011, 03:05 PM
What about an aluminum one geared toward hot rod/racing use?
I would suspect they can be had in any configuration needed.

I've got one now.I bought the smallest they listed and was figuring on modifying both it and the lift,but it's just not going to make it.

macona
10-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Did you take it to a radiator shop and have them look at repairing it?

winchman
10-12-2011, 07:44 PM
If you don't use it for very long at any one time, just replace the radiator with a tank.

Guido
10-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Dang it, Winchman, now you've blown it-----------more 'n one of us itching to dumpster dive, just waiting on the inevitable---------

--G

wierdscience
10-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Did you take it to a radiator shop and have them look at repairing it?

Yes,he made the sign of the cross and handed it back to me:) When this guy says it's bad,it's Bad.Apparently the stop leak filled pits finally all connected forming one giant leak instead of 10,000 small ones,

BigMike782
10-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Well how about hot water copper with radiating fins for home heating and make your own radiator,then add an electric fan......don't give up,there MUST be a solution!:D

wierdscience
10-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Well how about hot water copper with radiating fins for home heating and make your own radiator,then add an electric fan......don't give up,there MUST be a solution!:D

IF I could find a copper A-coil from a home AC unit,there would be much modification,fabrication and fornication going on,but alas a Copper A-coil is almost a myth now that scrap prices are so high:)

knedvecki
10-12-2011, 10:11 PM
What make, model, S/N of forklift? I have been known to work on them from time to time.

BigMike782
10-12-2011, 10:16 PM
I came back to edit but you already responded so.....
The tube I am thinking of should be available from an HVAC supply house or installer,maybe as old stock or an odd ball size.I got two 8' sections when I worked in the hardware store and I made two heat exchangers from them using common copper elbows.
What about a hydraulic fluid heat exchanger from a large piece of earth moving equipment(for example) or plumb 2 smaller radiators together to get the cooling you need?

wierdscience
10-12-2011, 10:19 PM
What make, model, S/N of forklift? I have been known to work on them from time to time.

Old Datsun,probably 65 or 68 model.Don't have the mod or serial handy.

RandyZ
10-12-2011, 10:21 PM
Some John Deere lawn equipment have nice little rads in them. My LX188 is about 18 x 18.

Andrew_D
10-12-2011, 11:40 PM
Some John Deere lawn equipment have nice little rads in them. My LX188 is about 18 x 18.

That's what I was just thinking too....Lots of the yard/garden tractors have a liquid cooled option starting around 16HP and up. One of them must be small enough....

Andrew

Mr Fixit
10-13-2011, 12:40 AM
How about a transmission cooler or auto A/C condenser coil and remote tanks? I think you could also get an old window shaker A/C unit and possibly salvage the coil from it.
Just a couple of more ideas from someone that only knows a little but always has suggestions. Best of luck.

Mr. Fixit Chris:)

Don Young
10-13-2011, 10:19 PM
I have not actually tried it but my sense is that no HVAC coil of a suitably small size will permit anywhere near enough flow rate to be used as a radiator for that engine. HVAC coils generally have only one or a few very long tubes while radiators have many short tubes.

Unless you are lucky I also suspect that the price of small tractor radiators will make them unattractive.

One possibility would ge to get some sort of small radiator and electric fan from a junk yard and mount it somewhere outside the lift. Not an elegant solution but it might allow you to use the lift.

I would try to find a brass radiator to cut down.

chriskat
10-13-2011, 10:41 PM
There are a bunch of motorcycle radiators here:

Motorcycle Radiators (http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/newshop/index.php?route=product/category&path=1)

They seem to all be $135, at least the ones I looked at, looks like they will "make" you a radiator take a look at the custom description.

Custom Radiators (http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/newshop/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=14)

I don't know anything about these people but may be worth a call.

chriskat
10-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Looks like maybe the ATV radiators would be a better bet:

ATV Radiators (http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/newshop/index.php?route=product/category&path=10)

Jeff