Anyone used a dual blade steel cutting saw???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rbertalotto
    • Jan 2009

Anyone used a dual blade steel cutting saw???

I saw an infomercial on TV for these things over the summer.

I have a good quantity of 1/8" angle iron to cut up.

Wondering if this might be the ticket?

The leading source brandable domain names. Competitive prices. Excellent service. Get your domain name today.

• armedandsafe
    • Aug 2011

Interesting concept. I'd be interested in what substance the lubricating sticks are and what they cost.

Pops

Comment

• Jim Doherty
      • Jun 2010

Harbor freight carries a dual blade saw, 89.00$ looks very similar to the one in the dual cut saw video. I don't own one just happened to notice it on the website. If you get either one let us know how well it works, etc.

Thanks, Jim

Comment

• bob ward
        • Jun 2007

I'd be concerned about the gap between the 2 blades clogging with swarf. And while its not relevant to the worthiness of the item, the "you've got a door, you've got a gym" style of advertising certainly raises the hackles.

Comment

• jimmstruk
          • Jun 2005

The replacement lubricating sticks are 14.99 for a box of 25 JIM
          jim

Comment

• Forrest Addy
            • Oct 2002

I've seen them in action. So long as the blade stays sharp and undeformed by pinching or accident they work pretty well. Lot of sparks. Better wear welding leathers if you have to cut up a junk car or something otherwise they work as advertized.

I came away with: don't let the blade pinch. Saw supported work only.

Comment

• ftownroe
              • Oct 2002

Dual Blade Saw

I have one of these that I bought at Sears some years ago. It got it's most work when I wanted to get rid of a couple of old lawn movers. It worked beautifully to cut up the decks into small enough pieces to fit in the trash. I did have a problem when I tried to cut up the rubber skirt on the back of the mower. The rubber melted and got between the blades causing the saw to sieze up. I could have probably avoided the problem if I had used the lubricant stick but didn't think about that. Just had to take the blades off and scrape the crap off of them. As far as cutting the deck material, it worked like a charm.
              Fred Townroe

Comment

• gundog
                • May 2004

I bought one at Costco and I have used it on aluminum and it cuts that great. I have been thinking about making a stand for it so I can use it like a chop saw. I have not used it much but I really like it so far. I think mine is the one advertised on TV it is much better quality than the HF version.

Mike

Comment

• Bill736
                  • Jan 2008

I was going to buy one at Sears, but many of the customer feedbacks complained about the motor burning out quickly, or the gearcase failing.
                  I wound up buying the Rigid brand sold at Home Depot, for $150. Having used it only once on sheet metal, I can't give an extensive performance report yet. However, the Rigid machine seems to be solid and well built, and a 2 year exchange waranty is offered by Home Depot for an additional $17, which I did buy. There is also a lifetime service agreement from Rigid, although I believe that requires sending the machine to Rigid . The blades are 5 inches in diameter, smaller than the 6 inch blades on the Sears model. The effective maximum depth of cut of the Rigid model is slightly over 1 inch. In my one brief test, the machine did chew through 26 gauge sheet metal without hesitation, and left a fairly smooth cut. None of these machines seems to have a sole plate that rests on the material , as does a "Skill" type saw, so in thicker material your cut may not be square with the material surface.

Comment

• alanganes
                    • Jul 2006

I was thinking of buying one of these things when sears was first pitching them for cutting up pallets for firewood. It seemed maybe that it would go through nails and all of the other debris often found in old pallets with less blade damage than my worm drive saw. At the time consensus seemed that the sears version was nto a very high quality tool so I passed on it.

I may have to check out the Rigid version an HD. Might be a a good solution.

Comment

• JoeLee
                      • Aug 2009

It has to be brutal on carbide tipped blades. My thoughts on the negatives are, it throws a lot of sparks and chips all over the shop, and the noise........... wear ear plugs.

JL....................

Comment

• boslab
                        • Dec 2007

they are in fact 'bloody useless' a 14" cutoff disk or evolution is best, gave my twin disk away!
                        mark

Comment

• rbertalotto
                          • Jan 2009

I have a bunch of angle iron to cut up and I can't use a torch. So this saw seemed like a good call. But I think I'll buy a portable band saw instead.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

• boslab
                            • Dec 2007

the bandsaw option sounds good, how abour an angle iron cutter, i have a light one that will take angle up to the size of dexion shelving and that works really well, it was for that shelving but a company doing a contract in work in the stores had a load of them and left one behind, eventually it ended up in my office [aka the skip, it has marks office painted on the side, the skip company took it back to repaint it and guess what, thier signwriter painted it back in script on both sides lol]
                            like this, they can be hired too

mark

Comment

• rbertalotto
                              • Jan 2009

This angle is a football field bleacher stand. There is tons of angle iron, involved. Cut it up and I can have it! Lots of nice long pieces of 1X1,2X2 and 4X4............Band saw will be the way to go. I found a Milwaulke unit on Craigslist for $100............Nice!

Comment

Working...
                              X