PDA

View Full Version : OT Something you don't see everyday

wierdscience
10-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Ever see a U-2 spy plane takeoff and land on an Aircraft Carrier?:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8HMPMYL19E&feature=related

I had seen the video of the C-130 doing the same,but the U-2 was a new one on me.

gaston
10-12-2011, 10:20 PM
during vietnam we ocasionally had U2's land on the carrier I was on. Usually in the late evening and didn't stay long. sometimes had to "wingwalk them to keep from hitting stuff. compared to our usual f4's, A7's etc, it seemed like those wings went on forever!

boslab
10-13-2011, 01:46 AM
i wish you wouldent post links like that, i end up watching clip after clip of all sorts of planes, esp sr71s an stuff, although that typhoon dosent look bad, shame they only have a couple of working ones as the government are skint.
theres 2 hours gone you sadist! lol
mark

Boucher
10-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Thanks for posting. Would not have thought that was possible

wierdscience
10-13-2011, 09:01 AM
i wish you wouldent post links like that, i end up watching clip after clip of all sorts of planes, esp sr71s an stuff, although that typhoon dosent look bad, shame they only have a couple of working ones as the government are skint.
theres 2 hours gone you sadist! lol
mark
At your service:D

pgmrdan
10-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Thanks!

The U2 and the SR71 are the ones that impress me the most.

Although I used to see a prototype fighter aircraft go vertical very soon after takeoff when I worked for McDonnell Douglas. It had the adjustable wings. They had it all painted up in red/white/blue stripes. Was it really a jet plane or a rocket? Hard to tell.

I also saw a Guppy fly into Lambert International Airport (St. Louis) one time. Unbelievably huge!!!

Then there's the Playboy jet that I used to see in St. Louis a lot... Hmmmm, I wonder!?!?!? :D

lynnl
10-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks!

The U2 and the SR71 are the ones that impress me the most.

Although I used to see a prototype fighter aircraft go vertical very soon after takeoff when I worked for McDonnell Douglas. It had the adjustable wings. They had it all painted up in red/white/blue stripes. Was it really a jet plane or a rocket? Hard to tell.

The F15 Eagle is a McDonnell Douglas plane. It was the first operational fighter with a thrust to weight ration > 1. So it could accelerate in a pure vertical climb. It didn't have variable swept wings tho. ...at least the operational models.

I once saw a clip in the monthly "Air Force Now" film, which showed an F15 and F4 starting their takeoff roll side by side. There was a rearward facing camera in the tail of the F15. From FL310 (31K ft) the F15 was capturing images of the F4 still rolling down the runway.

wendtmk
10-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Having flown F-4's in the USAF for a good number of years, and also having flown both against F-15's in a DACT (Dissimilar Air Combat Training), and having taken off in formation with the F-15, even with the greater thrust available to the F-15, I have serious doubts the F-15 was at FL310 while the F-4 was still on the runway.

Mark

drof34
10-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Then there is this.

This is not a carrier and has no catapult.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxQTvqVvVoE&fmt=18

lynnl
10-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Having flown F-4's in the USAF for a good number of years, and also having flown both against F-15's in a DACT (Dissimilar Air Combat Training), and having taken off in formation with the F-15, even with the greater thrust available to the F-15, I have serious doubts the F-15 was at FL310 while the F-4 was still on the runway.

Mark

Well, I certainly wasn't there. But I do remember watching the AF Now film.

However, it's been probably 30 or 35 years; it was just about the time the F15 was being accepted for operation.

Maybe I'm off on the FL, but I remember it was some value that would coincide with a typical cruising altitude. The key point they were making was that it (F15) would accelerate straight up.