PDA

View Full Version : Jet 13-40" gear head lathe

Frank46
10-13-2011, 02:28 AM
Have a question. Bought a Jet 13x40" gear head lathe a few years ago and always had trouble getting either the live center or drill chuck with MY #3 taper to stay in the tail stock. I pulled the tailstock off the lathe to check to see if the bore of the taper was clear of any packing materails or other obstructions. Even cleaned it with a cleaning rod and some patches. Nothing found. So at this point I'm guessing is that the bore of the taper needs to be reamed out just a hair. Has anyone run into this problem and what if any procedures were needed to correct the problem?. The same thing happens regardless of what live center, bull nose or drill chuck. Thanks, Frank

Dr Stan
10-13-2011, 02:43 AM
Before reaming the tail stock spindle I recommend getting some Prussian blue spotting paste and try to find out the problem.

lakeside53
10-13-2011, 02:45 AM
And it may be hardened... so reaming won't have much effect.

EVguru
10-13-2011, 05:14 AM
Before reaming the tail stock spindle I recommend getting some Prussian blue spotting paste and try to find out the problem.

Draw some soft pencil lines down the arbor, insert and give it a twist. MUCH less messy!