PDA

View Full Version : Rivett T1020 lathe

1937 Chief
10-13-2011, 05:17 PM
I have a chance to get a Rivett 1020 tool room lathe.As far as lathess go it fairly new 1965 is the year it was built. Anyone one have one of these lathes? It looks well built. Reason is, it may need a few parts for the back gear to engage. I don't want to find out the company is no longer in business, and no parts are available, and I am left with a boat anchor. Price is right, the guy just wants it gone. Stan

Benta
10-13-2011, 05:34 PM
You just ran into the Rolls-Royce of toolroom lathes and is unsure whether to buy it at the right price?
Some people have all the luck.

Benta.

gwilson
10-13-2011, 05:35 PM
The company is long out of business,and there aren't an awful lot of this model floating about. One of the finest lathes ever made,though.

aboard_epsilon
10-13-2011, 05:56 PM
So your Triplett Lathe (http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=50403) is a Rivett

nice

all the best.markj

1937 Chief
10-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Yea my triplett is a rivett. I know it had a tt in it somewhere. That is what happens when I try to keep stuff in my head. It never comes out the same as it goes in. Stan

Hal
10-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Stan

For information on the Rivett lathe check Tony's lathes and the Practical Machinist forum in the Monarch section, search your 1020.
Brett in Oregon has at least one, maybe more and K Potter has one , both guys are very helpful. Both on the PM forum.

K Potter has a video on UTube showing his.

Well built is putting it mildly. It is a work of ART. A super quality quality lathe.

Hal

justanengineer
10-13-2011, 08:16 PM
There is a simple solution to your problem with the Rivett. Send me the location and contact info for that lathe, then I will keep you from having to make any parts for it. :D

Seriously though, if you need parts support for machine tools you should look into one of the various Clausing brand machines, Bport (they made lathes too), and a few other companies that Im sure others here can add to the list.

Calling a lathe like that a boat anchor should be a crime IMHO. Its like calling a gold ring w/a few LARGE diamonds in it scrap metal.

Mcgyver
10-14-2011, 09:30 AM
I don't want to find out the company is no longer in business, and no parts are available, and I am left with a boat anchor. Price is right, the guy just wants it gone. Stan

its good to ask around in case some model has common failing part that is just about impossible to replace, but 99.99 % of the time, if they're not standard commercial items, you just make what you need....heck that's how the lathe company does it....and most of us make our own mostly anyway because there's about 600% mark up or more on manufacturers parts.

Now if its missing major assemblies like the carriage or tail stock that's different, but most parts simply aren't an issue.

quasi
10-15-2011, 07:47 AM
I do not think back gears for a Rivett 1020 would be easily sourced or made. These lathes have double back gears as well. I only know of one of these in Canada.

philbur
10-15-2011, 08:14 AM
It's only a question of money or ingenuity or both.

With something like a Rivett 1020 you are either prepared to do whatever it takes to get it into A1 shape or you probably shouldn't have bought an incomplete machine in the first place.

Phil:)

I do not think back gears for a Rivett 1020 would be easily sourced or made. These lathes have double back gears as well. I only know of one of these in Canada.