PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight tubing roller with missing pieces

gary350
10-14-2011, 09:00 AM
I bought this Harbor Freight tubing roller cheap because it had a part missing. It may have more than 1 part missing I don't know. I was planning to make the needed parts myself but so far I have not been able to figure how to make the missing parts. The only thing I have is the metal frame, 9 rollers and a large black handle. There has to be a way to attach the handle to the center drive roller so parts can be cranked through. The rollers are all the same, none of them have a keyway, spline, pin or any way to make it grip a shaft. I can make my own shaft to fit the hole it slides through and fit the crank handle too but something else must be missing there is no way to make the shaft turn the center drive roller. I was wondering if someone could attach photos, or drawing or demensions of me to make the missing parts. If I can't get this fixed I guess I will take it to the scrap yard the next time I go. I found this video on You Tube is shows what my tubing roller looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO1FOxscqqM

PTSideshow
10-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Just go to the web site and punch in the numbers for the item then down load the instructions booklets as the all have the parts listed with diagrams for all there tools.
The new web site doesn't work sometimes for some items no longer sold or currently in stock. You can google the item number and the word instructions. I have had luck with getting a couple that way.
http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/99000-99999/99736.pdf

gary350
10-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Just go to the web site and punch in the numbers for the item then down load the instructions booklets as the all have the parts listed with diagrams for all there tools.
The new web site doesn't work sometimes for some items no longer sold or currently in stock. You can google the item number and the word instructions. I have had luck with getting a couple that way.
http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/99000-99999/99736.pdf

I went to the web site and found a brake down of the unit and all the pieces but no demensions. I can see there are a lot of pieces missing. The hole in the center of the rollers are much larger than the shaft the drawing shows several spacer things on each side of each roller. From what I see in the photo it looks like 15 parts are missing. No demensions so now what? I wish Harbor Freight kept these in stock I could probably go to the store and get demensions but that would be a 60 mile drive.

garagemark
10-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Return it for refund?

gary350
10-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Return it for refund?

Can't return it. It was one of those items sold as is. I knew there was missing pieces when I bought it. It seemed like a good deal how hard can it be to make a few missing pieces, I only paid about $35 for it 2 years ago. A new one is about $200. It is sorta like a CSI investigation, I look at it and figure out what it needs to make it work.

I know I can redesign it and make it work but I think it will probably be much easier to make the original parts I need. The hole through the center of the rollers are much larger than the shaft but with no grips of any kind in the hole or side of the roller to keep them from slipping on the shaft or center it on the shaft. I was thinking I might press some bushings through the center of the rollers and have a key way on the drive roller and drive shaft.

RussZHC
10-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Contact the guy in the video?

As I recall he is now making a whole bunch of parts as add-ons to either beef up what the bender was originally or to address items he and others view as short comings of said bender...in addition of course to the various die sets he sells.

Quite likely he has dimensions and in a way its in his best interest to help you assemble yours since you maybe, at some point, in the market for some of the other upgrades he sells.

To me, if its waited 2 years until now, wait a bit longer until the next time you go back to HF and take dimensions directly.

914Wilhelm
10-14-2011, 07:43 PM
IIR the axel has flats on it to engage some set screws. I may be totally wrong but I will take a picture tommorow and add some dimensions when I get home from work.

gary350
10-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Contact the guy in the video?

As I recall he is now making a whole bunch of parts as add-ons to either beef up what the bender was originally or to address items he and others view as short comings of said bender...in addition of course to the various die sets he sells.

Quite likely he has dimensions and in a way its in his best interest to help you assemble yours since you maybe, at some point, in the market for some of the other upgrades he sells.

To me, if its waited 2 years until now, wait a bit longer until the next time you go back to HF and take dimensions directly.

Thats a good idea. I think I will contact the guy in the video he might send me the demensions I need. He might also want to sell me the parts that I need. The HF store 25 miles from they do not keep these roller machines in stock. HF had them advertised on sale once I drove there to get one and was told they do not keep them in stock it takes about 7 to 10 days to get one in. Some guy behind me said he wanted one too but not if he has to wait a week he drove 60 miles to get there and isn't coming back. That is when I was told about this machine with pieces missing that I bought.

gary350
10-14-2011, 08:00 PM
I found this other video. Everything I need to know is on this video, I don't need demensions. All I need to do is make 3 shafts with flats to match the axle holes on the machine. Then make the rollers match the shaft with 4 set screws. My rollers do not match the HF roller in the video, no wonder I could not figure out how a 1.250 hole with 45 degree taper on both sides will fit a .875 shaft. My smallest roller is for 1.5" tubing and I need rollers for 1" tubing. The rollers I have don't go to this machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRIP8uKgsr8&feature=related

lbhsbz
10-16-2011, 12:53 AM
I've got one....let me know if you need pictures or dimensions off of anything.