PDA

View Full Version : Boyar-Schultz Surface Grinder Repairs.

Lu47Dan
10-14-2011, 07:58 PM
I have started to repair the table travel shaft bearings and seals. I am going to install new Torrington needle bearings and seals in it
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff14/Lu47Dan/Shop%20equipment/008-4.jpg
When I bought it the table travel shaft and crank was already out of it, the pieces were in a cardboard box and I had to figure out how it went back together. The PO had taken it apart with what looked like a BFH and a punch. :eek: Eventually a new shaft will have to be made but until I can get the tooling to build it. A clean up of the burrs on and the mushroomed end of the outer shaft will have to do for right now.
I was working on my shop gutters and the rains came again so I decided to work on the SG today. I started out by removing the mushrooming on the crank end of the outer shaft with a file. Once the outside was cleaned up and fit into the crank, I used a rat-tailed file to remove the burr that the punch drove into the bore for the torsion bar shaft. Once that burr was removed I had to straighten the torsion bar shaft so it would not drag on the bore of the outer shaft. I got the torsion bar shaft straightened out and now I need to get the new bearings and seals for the shaft ordered on Monday.
While I am waiting on the bearings and seals I will have to build a plate to correctly attach the SG to the base cabinet, the holes do not quite line up correctly. And the PO had removed the leveling feet also. I am going to make new feet, with hockey pucks as vibration isolators. The threaded adjusters are 7/16 - 20, I think, I will get four bolts and machine a radius on the head of the bolt leaving the enough of the hex to allow a for a wrench to adjust it. The foot will have a corresponding radius in the center for the bolt to rest in.
I am in need of the surface grinder as I have to sharpen the chipper knife in my chipper/shredder so I can finish clearing some brush and small trees for the expansion of my orchard.
Dan.

lynnl
10-14-2011, 08:34 PM
I thought for a minute there I was looking at a picture of the deep south, with spanish moss hanging from the trees.
-maybe it was all the .. uh,lawn decorations. :D

Scottike
10-14-2011, 09:03 PM
I am in need of the surface grinder as I have to sharpen the chipper knife in my chipper/shredder so I can finish clearing some brush and small trees for the expansion of my orchard.
Dan.

Absolutely! ;) As long as it satifies the wife.
No reason needed for us - we already understand.
Now if you were buying a new lathe to fix the mill, so you could fix surface grinder, so you could sharpen the blade on your brush hog, that might be a stretch ... but I'd still buy it as a reason!

Lu47Dan
10-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Now I understand why the PO had not replaced the bearings, this is getting into a lot of work. The largest 5/8" ID bearing I can find has an OD of 7/8". Making a sleeve with walls that thin will not be fun, so I ordered the bearing with an OD of 13/16" to give me slightly more meat in the walls.
Now I will have to wait for the bearings to confirm their OD, and then figure out what else I will need to buy to make the sleeves.
The plan right now to use a piece of 1-3/8" 1018 steel to make the sleeves, drill and ream the ID then rough turn the OD to size and finish with my toolpost grinder down to size.
I might try boring instead of reaming the ID, would save the money buying a reamer to do this job.
We will see what happens.
Dan.

Cheeseking
10-18-2011, 11:30 PM
I thought for a minute there I was looking at a picture of the deep south, with spanish moss hanging from the trees.
-maybe it was all the .. uh,lawn decorations. :D

I wanna see the orchard ......

Lu47Dan
10-19-2011, 08:52 AM
Right now the Orchard consists of 8 Blueberry bushes, 4 Elderberry bushes, 2 Elberta Peach trees and 1 Apricot tree. Once I am done cleaning up the area I have a Northern Spy Apple, a Sheepnose Apple, and another Apricot to plant in there.
When I started the clearing last spring the weather was pretty dry, then the rains came unceasingly until the area was too wet to work in. Then I stumbled onto the deal I got on the two mills and this SG. That necessitated the temporary planting of the new fruit trees in my sand pile. Since I need to get the old sand out of where it is setting the fruit trees need moved to there permanent places.
If it rains today I will be having a go at making the sleeves for the bearings.
Dan.

Cheeseking
10-19-2011, 11:11 AM
My kids love blueberries. That would be really cool to have some growing in the backyard. Good luck on the grinder BTW hate when people abuse good tools. Usually cause it's not their own stuff

Lu47Dan
10-20-2011, 10:36 AM
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff14/Lu47Dan/Boyar-Schultz%206-12%20Surface%20Grinder/001.jpg
CK, not much to see in my orchard :D But the trees are all in there.
Blue berries do not take up much room, and are very easy to care for. The only thing I had to do special was add bird netting and an arbor over them to keep the birds from eating all my berries.
Dan.

Cheeseking
10-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Nice. Now that I turned your grinder thread into a garden show. How many years does it take until the trees get big enough to bear fruit? I had a small lemon "tree" for awhile but it was more like a potted house plant. It eventually got little marble sized lemons but I never made lemonade :D

Lu47Dan
10-21-2011, 01:01 AM
Nice. Now that I turned your grinder thread into a garden show. How many years does it take until the trees get big enough to bear fruit? I had a small lemon "tree" for awhile but it was more like a potted house plant. It eventually got little marble sized lemons but I never made lemonade :D
:D
The blueberries bore fruit the second year, the peaches in the third year, the elderberries bore within two years of transplanting them, they were wild stock taken from a field that was to be brush hogged. The apples and apricots will bear in about two more years, since they were just planted this year.
Dan

Lu47Dan
10-22-2011, 12:23 AM
Today, I got the crank assembly installed into the saddle. I am figuring out what I need to do to make it work correctly.
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff14/Lu47Dan/Boyar-Schultz%206-12%20Surface%20Grinder/BSSGR015.jpg
Crank assembly and table installed.
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff14/Lu47Dan/Boyar-Schultz%206-12%20Surface%20Grinder/BSSGR016.jpg
Another view.
I have two problems right now, one is the crank will move out from the saddle and the second is the pin that attaches the gear to the torsion shaft hits the rack. The pin needs shortened up some so it will clear the rack.
Dan.