PDA

View Full Version : Idea for shock mount in all axes.

Your Old Dog
10-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Reading an online newspaper for my neighborhood I ran across this ad and thought I'd pass it along as ideas for you guys. Looks easy to make and might work quite well.

We got a lot of backyard mechanics and these looks like a low tech idea to solve vibration where it may be feasible to use?

[URL="http://www.vibrationmounts.com/RFQ/VM05028.htm?gclid=CIi2pp7d6qsCFQsBQAod5nezXw"]

winchman
10-15-2011, 04:11 PM
This link works:
http://www.vibrationmounts.com/RFQ/VM05028.htm?gclid=CIi2pp7d6qsCFQsBQAod5nezXw

darryl
10-15-2011, 05:38 PM
I like it. You could build those with any size cable to suit the application, and from whatever materials suited. If you included a strip of rubber between the parts, then wrapped the cable on, it would prevent the two sides of the mount from ever coming into hard contact.

I had a similar idea, but using two pipe sections. The cable is wound on in a figure eight pattern, so the pipes sections are free to roll but otherwise kept together. Both ends of the cable would be secured to one of the pipe sections. That side might be mounted to a chassis, and the other would connect to a control arm, or whatever. The whole coupling would be rubber impregnated.

The only thing that bothered me about it is that the cable might become frayed if the application had a lot of flexing going on.

jugs
10-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Cut 4 strips of metal,
drill some holes through all 4,
tap 2 strips,
drill thread clearance holes in other 2
cut a similar length of large bore reinforced rubber pipe, & (using a clearance hole strip as a template) drill holes in tube.
Put tapped strip inside & clearance strip outside, bolt through drilled holes in rubber,
Repeat for other pair.
Result = a cheap down & dirty anti-shock mount the exact size you require :D

Thruthefence
10-15-2011, 08:22 PM
There's a few aircraft I'm aware of, that use that very thing for supporting exhaust components.

10KPete
10-16-2011, 02:49 AM
We used to use those mounts for every thing from panel racks to entire instrument van bodies on trucks.

They work great!

Pete

beanbag
10-16-2011, 04:09 AM
Any reason why the helix switches direction in the middle?

Doc Nickel
10-16-2011, 08:33 AM
It doesn't switch directions, the upper loops just skip a hole. That changes the angle between the two sides of the supporting legs.

Think of a broomstick tied horizontally to the ceiling- like a trapeze. If the two supporting strings are parallel, the broomstick can swing easily. If the two strings meet nearly in the middle, forming a V, it can't swing as easily in the axis of the strings.

That change in angle of the cable helps constrain lengthwise movement.

Doc.

jkeyser14
10-17-2011, 12:07 AM
Those vibration mounts work great but have two main down sides.

-They are big $. We use them to shock mount a lot of military equipment, but they are about 6x the cost of a rubber shock mount. The major benefit being that they are made from very strong steel cables which hold up to extreme temperatures and overloading much better than a rubber shock absorber.

-The load/deflection rating varies greatly depending on which direction the load is applied from. Unlike a rubber mount they are very directional.