PDA

View Full Version : A geopolitical tooling question

beanbag
10-16-2011, 01:17 AM
A few weeks ago, I bought a reasonable quality Stanley tool box from Walmart for pretty cheap. The funny thing was that it was made in Israel. Normally, I figure they are a small first world nation with not a lot of natural resources, so they'd better make high tech expensive stuff, like Intel chips and Iscar tooling. What is the point for them to make cheap plastic toolboxes and sell them to Walmart? Do they get some kind of a special deal from the US government, like "Trade you a few toolboxes for a F-16"?

Rustybolt
10-16-2011, 02:06 AM
Somebody over there has a molding plant? Look at the some of the stuff Plano makes. Some of it you wonder how they can do it so cheap untill you realize they make 100s of thousands of plastics boxes.

Scottike
10-16-2011, 12:08 PM
If you think about it a bit, Israel making plastic things makes sense.
One of the primary components of plastics is hydrocarbons (oil).
So an advanced country in the middle east would have a leg up on the competion when it comes to plastics production, since they're so close to the production sources.

loose nut
10-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Are any of those close by "Sources" willing to sell oil directly to Israel. It may not be that big of an advantage.

sansbury
10-16-2011, 04:10 PM
How many natural resources does Japan, South Korea or Taiwan have? Even China imports a large portion of its raw materials--maybe most of them.

The US, Canada, and Russia are pretty much unique in the sheer variety of stuff we can produce domestically. Maybe Australia belongs in there, too. This is especially true if you treat the US and Canada as one, as our economies in many ways are. We consume so much that we can't (or choose not to) supply it all locally, but there's relatively few things we don't have at least some onshore sources for.

loose nut
10-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Hey, don't be thinking of the US and Canada as one. NAFTA economic stupidity or not, we are definitely not one.

clutch
10-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Israel is a technologically advanced company. The tooling to make the tool box was likely made in Israel also.

I took a quick google, there is a lot of plastic industry in Israel.

http://www.plastix.co.il/israel-plastic-companies.asp?page=4

Clutch

jugs
10-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Israel is a technologically advanced company. The tooling to make the tool box was likely made in Israel also.

I took a quick google, there is a lot of plastic industry in Israel.

http://www.plastix.co.il/israel-plastic-companies.asp?page=4

Clutch

Israel & sons inc ??? :D

wierdscience
10-16-2011, 07:21 PM
I've found a lot of products made in Israel.Grinding wheels,kitchen knives,shoes,HSS cutters,drills and tooling.All were well made and at a good price.

clutch
10-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Israel & sons inc ??? :D

Darn, I meant country. :o

Clutch

jugs
10-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Darn, I meant country. :o

Clutch

I know,................ but as the nit picking (oxygen) thread is locked :D :D